Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

ReputationRep:
    see if every student that was consistently disruptive in class was expelled (not saying there is a connection between this in every student that is disruptive) then there may be a higher crime rate/pregnancy rate e.t.c i know its stupid too characterise people who disrupt as trouble makers generally but people who won't have had the time of day given to them may be more prone to boredom therefore looking to crime or other mean to get attention e.t.c. i believe there is always a reason for everything, what would be the best thing for interuptive students would be 2 have extra one to one with teachers in students free time (this may not work with everyone) so that they associate interuption in class with extra lesson time without friends etc where they are not getting the responses they want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Can you imagine the amount of debt every person would have when they were just 18 if everyone had to get loans? Who's going to want to go to University after they already have a mountain of debt?
    The parents would take out the loans not the children,or they would go to a charitable school or be home schooled etc

Your proposal would mean children would effectively have to PAY just to have the choice later in life.
    No it wouldn't.

Depends how much the school is being paid or if a parent is bribing the school the keep the kid.
    The school would damage its reputation if it did this. I think this scenario would be very rare.

If the NHS went private, it'd be ****. Contray to what many people believe about America's health system, speaking to very upper class Americans(at University) they told me if they were diagnosed with something serious they would use the NHS(since as students in the UK they can use for free). NOT their American health services which apparently has exessive waiting times etc.
    Surely not? They would use our healthcare system for free instead of paying for it abroad? You've just blown my mind!

Also I was told people go bankrupt over medical bills and have to sell their house. If one's diagnosed with something like cancer, how do they pay their health insurance and medical bills if they can no longer work? They have to worry about all of that crap whilst coming to terms with the actual conditions!
    You have insurance that pays your bills if you become unemployed. We should have this system instead of benefits.

Many people of middle class, having worked themselves up their whole lives, can find everything they worked for ruined. I'm proud no-one in the UK has to worry about that because of the NHS.
    Glad one of the worst healthcare systems in the developed world makes you so proud. Not if they take out adequate insurance they wont.

So you'd consequently be forcing badly behaving kids who don't want to be in school, in to schools.
    What's the benefit of that over the current system?
    We've covered this point already. No school will keep badly behaved kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    If issues are properly identified students would go to the correct school that would suit their needs. Most teachers SHOULD be able to spot ADHD and Autism etc.
    'Should' but they don't. Teacher's arn't properly trained to identify ADHD or autism. Infact, Teacher's general knowledge on autism is atrocious. It's also extremely hard for Aspergers/Autism to be spotted in girls.

It took me, a 17 year old at the time to spot a boy in the same year as me as having Aspergers(and eventually I helped him with day-day issues and getting him diagnosed and he went from suicide attempt which i didnt know about at the time, to extremely confident and now has a girlfriend!). I went to a decent school.

He is one of the most obvious people with Aspergers i've ever met!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    Nobody who is disruptive therefore needs counselling. They just need to stop being lazy, but some work in and change there s*** attitude.
    I dont think you get it. Am I not explaining it properly. If a child is being disruptive, then maybe they are looking for attention because they dont get it at home. Why not give them counselling to overcome this? You dont know their background so dont assume that they're being lazy.

If you still dont understand then get a psychology book on behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkinFadeHaircut)
    I was distruptive, very in fact. Yet I passed all my GCSEs with A's and mostly B's....

FAIL
    so you dont give a crap about the people who's grades you did affect? usually this is the case with people who disrupt they affect other people's learning and get good grades themselves

THE BAD KIDS SHOULD BE SENT TO FIGHT IN A WAR !
    Then we will see who is "the hard man"

ReputationRep:
    Get a U.S Marine drill seargant in every classroom :L

or

just waterboard delinquents until they cant look at a swimming pool without loosing control of their bladder and bowels

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.
    I was that kid from 14-18.

Now I'm getting better grades than almost anyone I went to school with.

Some people change, some people don't. It's too easy to say "take them out of education". Staff at the school should find out why they're rebelling against the school system.

If they feel the education they're getting isn't appropriate at all, they should be placed onto a more vocational based course, if that's what they're interested in. If they simply don't value education at all, find out why and try and change those values.

More often than not, it's a poor upbringing that leads to this kind of behaviour from children. Parents aren't strict enough, or don't value education themselves. It seems to be endemic amongst the lower classes that "education is for f*cking puffs".

Yes, that includes my class too, I come from a poor background. The opposition to education is quite apparent. Only posh ****ers do well at school, the proper lads leave at 16 and go work for their uncle/brother-in-law, laying carpets or plastering walls for £200 a week.

In fact there are so many factors influencing anti-school subcultures it's crazy.

Not being intune with the values of the education system is the main thing though.

Or maybe education simply isn't in tune with them...

ReputationRep:
    The military thing is not a bad idea. A few teachers in my school are ex-forces as we have a CCF, and they get respect from even s*** students, especially when one brought in his collection of rifles and pistols.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on their age. I work with primary aged children and even then it is clear those who want to learn and know why they should work hard. But I think a lot of it is down to their upbringing - its the same kids who will tell you stories of underage drinking, teenage pregnancy, living in council estate etc. I guess because I see them when they are little, it just seems like at secondary school it is the same factors, but an escalated situation! I think you can try to reach out to them and help them realise their full potential and aspirations as many kids these days don't get that at home. When asked how many of the class wanted jobs when they were older, at least 4 said they didn't! And if their parents are doing exactly the same after having never worked/don't see the point in going out to earn money, they most probably are not showing the kids to care about their education and have career goals.

But when they get to 16+ and still couldn't care, even after people have tried to make them realise their potential and the need to work hard at school, I think it is totally their responsibility and they can ruin their education if they want to! After that I think the military is a good place for them to learn discipline and hard work, without the academic side if that is what they don't enjoy. But at the end of the day you can't force people to do anything, and they will be the ones suffering and living in council housing and relying on benefits and finding it hard to make ends meet :/

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

a bullet in the head.

you should've seen my english class when i was in yr 10-11, i was shocked that i got a B in english when i haven't learnt a thing in those 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    I'm not paying to give some cretin time off school so he can waste some teaching assistant's time by 'developing his confidence'. He needs to grow a backbone and sit in class and do some work and stop being so f****** lazy.
    i had counciling IN school. an hour a week i went to the connexions councilor and she helpped massivley.

then when i got to year usually once a week i would go and see my deputy year head, usually in lunch time. and same again in 6th form, but if it couldnt be a lunch time, it would have been a lesson when we were both of timetable. therefore not disrupting anyones lessons.

i would also go and see him if i had walked/been kicked out of any lessons in year 11, as then he knew where i was, and knew i couldnt get in any trouble. it was an agreement we had. it also didnt disrupt his lessons, as i would nock on the classroom door, wait till he had finished speaking to his class, then depending on what year they were i would either sit in the class, so he deffinatly knew where i was, or i would sit outside, and he would keep checking on me.

none of this effected anyone else, it was all agreements to help me, that the teacher agreed to, and it helped me, as i had somewhere safe to go without getting in extra trouble. but it didnt effect other classes, A that i was disrupting, as i wasnt in them, and B his classes, as it would be in his own time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    THE BAD KIDS SHOULD BE SENT TO FIGHT IN A WAR !
    Then we will see who is "the hard man"
    bad idea, do you want morons to fight for this country? with weapons that kill?

ReputationRep:

What you can do depends on the age group of those students.

I think you can give those students a lot of class work. But it has to be something that they understand. It cannot be a piece of work that last for 10 minutes. It has to be something that will take up their time and have them occupied for that entire session that you have them. If they understand what they should do, they will sit and do it.

I have seen where this has significantly reduced disruptive behaviour in the class room.

Also, you could call in their parents. Sometimes this helps because there are students who only make trouble when their parents are not around. Many parents are very surprised that they have children who are such trouble makers!

ReputationRep:
    i don't trust people so i don't think this problem will ever come to a solution, however when i really want to have an intense learning day, i stay home!
    It's peaceful, relaxing and with non-teaching-teachers nit's also more efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Public flogging.
    But seriously, I think a school that generally has high behavioural standards and doesn't pander to the LCD will do far better than others. Make staff do their best to make classes inspiring, but let the pupils understand ed. is a two-way street and they are expected to allow others to learn even if they're not bothered to.

Ship them off to poor countries with no education or money and see how far they get !

ReputationRep:
    Bring back smacking in schools. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Education is a privilege, not a right. If you can't behave yourself like a civilised human being then why should you gain the privilege of education?

We worry far too much in this society about helping the"poor little darlings" who can't/won't behave themselves. Lets concentrate on helping the people that actually want to help themselves instead.
    So what would you define as a right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile.

You lot are so conservative.
    This has to be inane thing ive ever read on tsr. Get out.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.