Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    So what would you define as a right?
    Right to life, right to freedom of religion, right to free speech, right to freedom from torture, right to own property etc.

Education can't be a right since it abuses the property rights of others in order to fulfil it. For example, through forced taxation by the threat of force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Right to life, right to freedom of religion, right to free speech, right to freedom from torture, right to own property etc.

Education can't be a right since it abuses the property rights of others in order to fulfil it. For example, through forced taxation by the threat of force.
    Would you say that right to life includes right to healthcare? Because that uses tax too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    As a grammar school pupil, I agree with your last comment, as despite my stance, I have it a lot better than a comprehensive student who wants to learn.

However, I disagree with everything else you've said. I find the work easy, but it doesn't mean I ruin it for those who are struggling but want to learn by talking. Also, disruptive kids don't change. If I'd given a list of those I found disruptive in year 7, it would be the same as the one I'd give now in year 11. Lastly, why should kids who are rude and don't listen deserve the good teachers? The British education system is too focussed on making **** people average rather than letting the intelligent excel. This is why we are falling behind in the world in terms of education.
    Then possibly the fact that you went to a grammar school and me a public school means we have had different experiences. A few of the people who could of been considered as 'disruptive' in the early years eventually mellowed out and began to work.
    As for your point of the problem with our education system is that it 'make **** people average' thats a load of bull ****. A country/society needs 'mundane' people. A country can not function with everyone being lawyers/doctors/bankers.
    Why the hell would it be fair for a country to only concentrate and help the naturally excellently? are the inherentley more important?

(Original post by s_libra)
    unfortunately you will face people like this throughout your whole life. When coming to university I was expecting to leave people like this behind but I was wrong.

In lectures you have those idiots that sit at the back and talk, phones going off blackberry pigging every 10 minutes, and I am like are you thick yeh I have a blackberry but mines on silent is it so hard for you to find the silent mode??

Then you've got that couple that sit behind you and talk throughout the whole lecture but, the lecturer never catches them somehow! They never take notes and sit there touching each other up whispering making me want to puke!

You also have those idiots that yes still throw paper planes, balls of paper!

And sometimes maybe sometimes the lecturer may get so fed up that they just might kick those idiots out but that's rare, as you can imagine takes up alot of the time to tell them 'yes you, you the one with the green shirt get out' the guy just sits there in disbelief with an expression like me?????? and then when they do finally decide to get up and go it's like be ashamed of yourself but nope its like some sort of an award like yeh thats right im so kewl, erm no your not your a loser!

Well thats what I have had to put up with my first year of uni, you just learn to deal with it. The reason its makes me so annoyed is I can't concentrate if people like the couple are sitting behind me talking constantly. What I don't get is lectures aren't even compulsory there no register get the hell out, notes are online!!! I dunno Just praying they aren't in the modules I pick next year!
    What university is this so I can avoid it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluesky42)
    Would you say that right to life includes right to healthcare? Because that uses tax too...
    Nice try. No I wouldn't. Right to healthcare would also mean forced taxation, hence an abuse of someone else's property rights.

(Original post by d4nny)
    Minutes even?
    Lol, for some, yes. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    i had counciling IN school. an hour a week i went to the connexions councilor and she helpped massivley.

then when i got to year usually once a week i would go and see my deputy year head, usually in lunch time. and same again in 6th form, but if it couldnt be a lunch time, it would have been a lesson when we were both of timetable. therefore not disrupting anyones lessons.

i would also go and see him if i had walked/been kicked out of any lessons in year 11, as then he knew where i was, and knew i couldnt get in any trouble. it was an agreement we had. it also didnt disrupt his lessons, as i would nock on the classroom door, wait till he had finished speaking to his class, then depending on what year they were i would either sit in the class, so he deffinatly knew where i was, or i would sit outside, and he would keep checking on me.

none of this effected anyone else, it was all agreements to help me, that the teacher agreed to, and it helped me, as i had somewhere safe to go without getting in extra trouble. but it didnt effect other classes, A that i was disrupting, as i wasnt in them, and B his classes, as it would be in his own time.
    Walked out of class... wow. Has never ever happened in my school. Would be completely shocking. It's interesting how different schools are.

My experience with connexions people are they are the most stupid, condescending idiots ever.

This is a nice example of someone working with the help provided. However, I fear not everyone will take it like you. Do you think your councelling improved your grades?

a good teacher will know. so they wont ask you. from my experience, i was a toatal mess inside, but when asked "you ok?" by teachers id say yes. a few teachers KNEW i wasnt and questioned it all futher until they got it out of me.
    What if a teacher knows there's something wrong, persists and tries to give help, but the kid is just "giving it all" and saying "piss off sir, I don't need help" - even though he or she needs it?

If someone says no, who are the teachers supposed to question it?

youv clearly never had to deal with issues that effect you so bad you cant cope with them, and as a release you get into trouble, as you dont know how to let go of that anger or hurt. its hard. i know people have got worse then friendship issues, but im not going to go into this, as you dont know what my issues were. and even if you did youd look down on me and tell me to "man up". when you have things in your life that effect your education, then come to me and tell me.
    Excuse me?

if youv got a good enough teacher then the pupil will work with them. once i had a support network in school i was happy to cooperate and i was happy to stay in lessons and do the work. support is a major part of helping badly behaved pupils. youll be suprised how few chances you get. i know quite a few people that got kicked out, and some of them should have had more chances.
    Why the **** should you get more chances? 1 chance is enough.

Actions have consequences. There isn't an infinite line of chances.

youll be suprised, me and a friend did EXACTLY the same thing wrong, i got excluded for a day, and she didnt. i got taken out of that lesson for the rest of the year. she didnt. how is that fair?
    i took all the consequences, belive you me, do you reckon i found it fun having to tell my mum id been excluded, do you think i found it fun having to pretend to get ready for school so my step dad didnt find out id been excluded?
    What did you do? What did your friend do?

Because if it was your full responsibility, then you deserve the full consequences.

Why the hell did you "took all the consequences", as if you're implying you're taking the **** for your friend? Why on earth would you do that?

Don't blame the school, blame yourself.

again walk a mile in my shoes then tell me how teachers should deal with issues like theese. until you have experience at being that pupil you cant really comment.
    like iv said before im now at uni doing a degree so i can help these pupils that you want to kick out of school, and i want to keep them in school and help them get their lives back on track.
    Great, just what they need, more sympathy.

People are given too many chances, thinking they rule the school.

Rude brats do exist in the education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Lol, for some, yes. :p:
    RE cough

i didnt like letting people know i was hurting. and they could tell by my body language and facial expressions, aswell as how i spoke to people.
    but back then i felt weak for asking for help.
    If you don't ask for help, then you don't receive the help. Tough ****.

i dont think you get what my point was. people dont get enough chances.
    Believe me, they do.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6021569

i was treated by many teachers badly, because they didnt like me and who i was friends with. (dont say teachers like everyone and dont hate anyone, thats bull, and even a teacher has said this too me.)
    Bull****. What on earth do mean by "being treated by many teachers badly"?

Come off it.

oh yeah, i agree some teachers give too many chances, i know this.
    what im saying is when it comes to being excluded, wether this be fixed term, or permenantly. i personally dont belive you get enough chances. i got excluded for a day twice. and one time i got beaten up, yet still got excluded, and i got told that day. had to take a letter home to my mum and explain, not only that i had been in a fight, but "oh yeah by the way mum, im not allowed in tomorrow and you have to go for a meeting the day after"

with most exclusions your not on a 3 strike system, its a desicion made there and then.

same with isolation, i used to get put in isolation for stupid things. and i remember one time, id just been excluded, and they tried to put me in isolation for something that wasnt even my fault. id missed a detention because i didnt know about it as i went home ill.
    i didnt see this as being fair, and managed to get myself out of isolation by speaking to teachers.

i think it depends entlirely on the teachers, and how they can keep pupils occupied and on task.
    Remember, no exclusion happens for no reason.

You have done something, and I do feel you are twisting the truth.

(Original post by SkinFadeHaircut)
    I was distruptive, very in fact. Yet I passed all my GCSEs with A's and mostly B's....

FAIL
    You're saying as if that's a good thing.

Shows that the exam system is not hard enough if that were to be true.

ReputationRep:
    Constantly disruptive students should be thrown out, but a little banter here and there is the best part of school!

(Original post by KingMessi)
    They weren't saying it was therefore a RIGHT to misbehave if you don't understand. They were just offering not understanding as the CAUSATION of such behaviour. As it is, I think you're right-but when you're in school on a crappy Monday morning, being taught a subject you hate by a teacher you find boring, and your friends are sitting next to you, you don't think to "shut up and ask for help"...
    Well you should tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    If you don't ask for help, then you don't receive the help. Tough ****.

Believe me, they do.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6021569

Bull****. What on earth do mean by "being treated by many teachers badly"?

Come off it.
    You've barely been in school long enough to make valid judgements, so stfu and go away.

Thank you.

(Original post by Extricated)
    You've barely been in school long enough to make valid judgements, so stfu and go away.

Thank you.
    But I have current experience of it. So I see it first-hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.
    Yes, I can't stand them.

ReputationRep:
    Each school should have a f***tards class, which the f***tards are relegated to after three warnings (copies issued to parents). In the f***tards classes, a teacher tries to educate them, but when they are disruptive they are simply left to it at the expense of their education. If they show enough willing they may appeal and be returned to normal classes, but a single offence returns them to f***tards. Each region could even have a serious f***tards special school where the worst of the worst can waste their youth and not affect others chances in life. I would even like to see military academies where youths with serious criminal records are sent to learn the hard way about discipline and respect. A much better use of our soldiers than murdering shepherds and children.

ReputationRep:
    This has probably been said- but if they don't want to be there, then there is no need for them to be there.

In fact, our school took the absolute hopeless cases out of all other lessons when it got to year 10 apart from English, Maths, BTEC Science and Tech- then had them do a GCSE equivalent skills based course, then they ferried them off to college for 2 days a week for a headstart on an apprenticeship.

2 years later, those kids are qualified carpenters, plumbers and mechanics- earning a living and out their parents houses. Academia isn't for everyone and we shouldn't try to force everyone into this framework. If they would have taken the approach of 'WASTE OF TAXPAYERS MONEY, KICK THEM OUT' then they'd just be on the dole and spending their days at the bookies with our taxes.

What the majority of the people on this thread are doing are jumping to the conclusion that we are all the same, but the kids that act this way are born into families where education doesn't matter and people choose going on benefits instead of working- we need to talk to these kids and see what they REALLY want to do, as it's only natural that they're going to kick off in a biology lesson lesson if they're can't see the importance of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    Walked out of class... wow. Has never ever happened in my school. Would be completely shocking. It's interesting how different schools are.

My experience with connexions people are they are the most stupid, condescending idiots ever.

This is a nice example of someone working with the help provided. However, I fear not everyone will take it like you. Do you think your councelling improved your grades?
    my school it wasnt regular regular, but it happened. one time i did it to get myself in less trouble than i would have if i stayed... she threteneted to remove me, which would have ment a senior member of staff getting involved, whereas because i removed myself and went directly to my deputy yearhead and explained myself, then nothing happened of it.

dont get me wrong my school was a good school, but because it had such a wide catchment areas it had many different abbilities in it.

the connexions carreers man was an idiot, i didnt get on with him, he told me nothing. but i went to a connxions councilor who helped me massivley, she knew my situation at home, in school, and friendships out of school, and she helped me get over so many hurdles.

once i got the right support it worked, and if i didnt get the support i needed, i would have been kicked out of school and on the dole, instead im at uni...

the counciling on its own didnt help me improve. i got help from different people, and together, potentially it could have helpedmore than i did if i got the help sooner. but without it i wouldnt have got any GCSEs... and i got enought to get into 6th form.
    so i guess it does work, and i honestly belive more people should be offered the help i was, and not just kicked out of school.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.