Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooo)
    This thread makes me uncomfortable.

I have been expelled from 2 institues in my school career due to bad behaviour. I am now about to end my second year of Economics at Edinburgh. Just because we misbehave in school doesn't mean we are unwilling to learn and are stupid. :dontknow: lots of my chav friends who were top of the class and i'd argue brighter as kids to most of the dull kids whose parents waited till they were financially rich and old to have them. But those kids got tutors, books, pushy/understanding/academic/educated/helpful parents. Whilst my friends had junkie parents who were barely adults themeselves, didn't value education, didn't take kids to the museum, didn't encourage academics and swore/got drunk/were asbolic around their kids.

I know i'm not as brainy as you guys and I know my roots are not good, clean ones - a lot of my family are on benefits, I have relatives behind bars, we live in a coumcil house etc and we aren't the most educated people but we are still human. I came under a special scheme for chavs which allowed me to access higher education, see the bigger picture and hopefully grow up to be educated and bring my kids up not to be disruptive *******s like I was. I'm sorry.

I know all you on this thread will hate me because i'm demeaning you and it was my kind that 'ruined your learning' but its true. How could I at 7/11/14 know what education could bring me or decide I wanted to behave when I hadn't been taught better? If some small coincidences and events didn't happen in my life, i'd be the type of guy many TSRians talk about 'sterilising' - education changes everything and all of you are advocating to take a disruptive child out of education?

I feel so **** right now, because i've left my rightful place, to enter a section of society that looks down on who I was born to be.
    +rep for making me laugh. I needed cheering up today.

How many chances do you want to give people though? If you were bright at school, why bother misbehaving, you must have realised it was a waste of everyone's time?

I got expelled from school and ended up self teaching my self through my highers, although my expulsion was far from justified as I was an angel.

I did learn the value of education though. Teaching yourself is not easy or fun but I don't see an alternative and you haven't come up with one either.

What do you do with people who can't behave and keep disrupting the rest of the class?

(Original post by Jacke02)
    Yes if, as 'pooo' mentioned, your brought up in a nurturing environment, so u would know the consequences.

Anything below a level/GCSE, i found, was boring as ****. I sympathise with anyone who messes about.

I remember failing my tech (graphics) exam on purpose (well i got a D in tech and 7/8a*s), messing about and doing nothing in class. Tech had no appeal to me, i was rubbish at drawing, the teacher was a prick. Someone with no aspirations of oxbridge like you, someone who never has never exceeded, will not see the opportunity in learning the periodic table.
    Don't play the "family background/home environment" card with me.

Students at secondary school ARE told of the consequences so there is no hiding from them. The information is there for them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes if, as 'pooo' mentioned, your brought up in a nurturing environment, so u would know the consequences.

Anything below a level/GCSE, i found, was boring as ****. I sympathise with anyone who messes about.

I remember failing my tech (graphics) exam on purpose (well i got a D in tech and 7/8a*s), messing about and doing nothing in class. Tech had no appeal to me, i was rubbish at drawing, the teacher was a prick. Someone with no aspirations of oxbridge like you, someone who never has never exceeded, will not see the opportunity in learning the periodic table.
    Why do you think kids in the UK don't see education as a way out of their sh***y home lives?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I don't think the school can do anything to drastically change the behaviour of a lot of misbehaving students. From my experience, it really is the family that is usually the root of the problem in some way or another.

Having said that, I think a lot of kids are mollycoddled by the system a bit too much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    Education is a privilege, not a right. If you can't behave yourself like a civilised human being then why should you gain the privilege of education?
    Devils Advocate. Education is in the UDHR. So it is a right, not a privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Don't play the "family background/home environment" card with me.

Students at secondary school ARE told of the consequences so there is no hiding from them. The information is there for them.
    Having studied psychology for 2 years, its abundantly clear that telling people something doesn't work. It's like telling someone climate change is very probably real or that god very probably isn't real.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think kids in the UK don't see education as a way out of their sh***y home lives?
    Because your parents don't care about education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future Doc)
    Devils Advocate. Education is in the UDHR. So it is a right, not a privilege.
    This old chestnut again. I don't believe you can have a right based on the abuse of another's rights. A right to free education abuses the property rights of other people through forced taxation under the threat of force.

So to me it is not a right, neither is free healthcare or free welfare etc.

Also to make state education compulsory surely is a way of the state indoctrinating it's youth.

ReputationRep:
    From the age of about 5 you spend more time at school and with your peers than you do with your parents, so are they really the people to blame here? How old do you think you should be to start taking responsibility for your own actions?

ReputationRep:
    This old chestnut again. I don't believe you can have a right based on the abuse of another's rights. A right to free education abuses the property rights of other people through forced taxation under the threat of force.

So to me it is not a right, neither is free healthcare or free welfare etc.

Also to make state education compulsory surely is a way of the state indoctrinating it's youth.
    Can't really argue with that. Although I do see free healthcare as a right, yet I would exclude people who have abused substances e.g. alcohol, drugs, food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future Doc)
    Can't really argue with that. Although I do see free healthcare as a right, yet I would exclude people who have abused substances e.g. alcohol, drugs, food
    Why should I have to pay for your healthcare?

I thought food, drug and alcohol addictions counted as illnesses these days. Why do these people not deserve medical attention?

ReputationRep:
    From the age of about 5 you spend more time at school and with your peers than you do with your parents, so are they really the people to blame here? How old do you think you should be to start taking responsibility for your own actions?
    Nobodies responsible for their actions to a certain extent.

I think your overestimating the freewill of children.

ReputationRep:
    Suspension, followed swiftly by expulsion. Education is a privilege, not a right - and if you abuse it, sod off. And if they complain about not being able to get a job because they have no qualifications, tell them to join the army. Done, and done.

ReputationRep:
    Just a point. While I do sympathise with children with bad home lives. We can hardly blame that on their bad behavior and therefore be of the opinion that there should be no consequences for misbahaving as by that logic if this child were to become an adult and commit a spree of crimes they would be able to get off scot free by blaming their poor home life as a child on their actions as an adult.

ReputationRep:
    fed to the baboons....wait your school doesn't have baboons?

ReputationRep:
    my mum cared loads about my education, heck, she went to a grammar school!

but she let me make my own mistakes.

and when your on self destruct, and dont care about yourself and what your doing, then quite frankly your not gonna care about a few consequences.

but these are the people that need help, and need to be kept in education so they can turn their lives around, and dont commit suicide...

just thing about it from another point of shoe, and not that prada shoe your wearing [=

ReputationRep:
    Why should I have to pay for your healthcare?

I thought food, drug and alcohol addictions counted as illnesses these days. Why do these people not deserve medical attention?
    If you don't want to pay for my healthcare, then do you even want to pay taxes?
    Healthcare is right in my eyes because no matter where you come from, how much money you have, you should be able to get treatment for an illness.

Defining an illness is where my problem comes from. I appreciate that people have a extremely different background to me and may force them into drugs etc. so they should be given their first treatment for drugs for free. However if they are a repeat offender and refuse to leave drugs then they aren't entitled to more healthcare.

Same applies to those that want a gastric band to lose weight. Exercise and eat healthily, don't use surgery as a short cut. Also with alcohol, first time is free but if you want an organ transplant then you need to prove you are dedicated. You need to stop drinking and stay clean.

Having studied psychology for 2 years, its abundantly clear that telling people something doesn't work. It's like telling someone climate change is very probably real or that god very probably isn't real.
    Well, if they don't want to take up the opportunity that is education, then so be it.

But they shouldn't try and hinder other people in the process.

(Original post by PonchoKid)
    and when your on self destruct, and dont care about yourself and what your doing, then quite frankly your not gonna care about a few consequences.
    Don't care? Then those people fully deserve the consequences, even if they "don't care".

but these are the people that need help, and need to be kept in education so they can turn their lives around, and dont commit suicide...
    But for that to happen, they need to respect education.

ReputationRep:
    All lessons held at the bottom of avalanche prone mountains..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.