Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Tell ANY 8 year old that they don't have to go to school any more if they don't want, see what they say. Making school optional is a ridiculous idea. Education IS optional after the age of 16, people are old enough to make life decisions by that age. Lots of kids have parents who don't care because they didn't do well at school. Believe it or not, they are very few children who have their life set out, and are eager to learn and get qualifications and get a good job. Children are more interested in making their friends laugh. If school was optional from a young age, no-one would go.
    I understood the implications of academic failure at 8; many great scientists from the past were self taught anyway so what's the problem with school being optional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    I understood the implications of academic failure at 8; many great scientists from the past were self taught anyway so what's the problem with school being optional?
    Well good for you, but most kids don't see the implications at the age of 8, and most kids can't self teach. Yeah there'll be the occasional child prodigy who is doing calculus before they've learnt to walk or whatever, but that doesn't mean every misunderstood 8 year old is useless to society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grund)
    They're 12 years old, no 12 year old person thinks about the fact that talking in class is even disrupting, never mind planning out their future.

You should be able to relate anyway, near enough to your own age, right?
    I had amibtions which involved academic success before the age of 12.

ReputationRep:
    Well good for you, but most kids don't see the implications at the age of 8, and most kids can't self teach. Yeah there'll be the occasional child prodigy who is doing calculus before they've learnt to walk or whatever, but that doesn't mean every misunderstood 8 year old is useless to society.
    But most people in general are useless to society; if a child doesn't care about education at 8 and is forced into a classroom he will be naughty not just ruining the class for himself but for the rest of the pupils who want to learn; if he is not forced to be in school then the only person loosing out is him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    about your story about the knife. this happened in my school, and yes the girl was excluded, BUT she was still working with the school when she was excluded. yeah she might have known what she was doing. but again she was known to have issues at home, and friendship issues, and lots more underlying things going on...

you anger me greatly!
    Why should someone who has put other pupils lives in danger recieve more attention than well behaved ones?

ReputationRep:
    Remove them from the class, and remove them from the school if that sort of childish behaviour persists. It's completely unfair to those students who want to learn and get something good out of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grund)
    They're 12 years old, no 12 year old person thinks about the fact that talking in class is even disrupting, never mind planning out their future.

You should be able to relate anyway, near enough to your own age, right?
    I can relate. I remember being 12, and I remember being aware that talking in class IS disruptive. 12 year olds may be children but they're old enough to know how to behave in lessons.

ReputationRep:
    But most people in general are useless to society; if a child doesn't care about education at 8 and is forced into a classroom he will be naughty not just ruining the class for himself but for the rest of the pupils who want to learn; if he is not forced to be in school then the only person loosing out is him.
    Just... wow. That's a very ignorant view really. Even people in the lowest paying jobs are useful to society, don't be ridiculous.

If a child age 8 is being distruptive, it's probably because he wanted to get a laugh off his mates, it's what the 'naughty' kids at that age live for. Did you ever even go to school?

I'd barely say a teacher stopping a year 3 maths lesson for 30 seconds to tell a kid off is going to ruin anyone's life.

ReputationRep:
    Just... wow. That's a very ignorant view really. Even people in the lowest paying jobs are useful to society, don't be ridiculous.

If a child age 8 is being distruptive, it's probably because he wanted to get a laugh off his mates, it's what the 'naughty' kids at that age live for. Did you ever even go to school?

I'd barely say a teacher stopping a year 3 maths lesson for 30 seconds to tell a kid off is going to ruin anyone's life.
    It's true but that's another debate

Of course I went to school and I feel that the lessons where we were in ability sets were a lot better. If he wants to get a laugh of his mates more than an education let him run around the playground for the afternoon.

As you go up the years the bad behaviour gets worse, what was once a silly little boy cracking jokes in class, becomes a major disruption who argues with the teacher (Which takes more than 30 seconds), who acts violently and holds back the others. The badly behaved students don't tend to do well anyway so what's the point in them being there if it is going to hold other people back as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile.

What I'm saying is, nothing further should be done. People who really do have detrimental impact on students education are punished. You'll just have to learn to deal with those who are merely annoying because they chat and may be inclined to pissing about.
    You clearly never had an asperger child in your class. There is no way you can deal with them. They interrupt the classes and annoy everyone. Why should they allowed to do this?

ReputationRep:
    I think disruptive students should be sent to an analyst and a therapist. Or, an analrapist if you will.

Let's be realistic though... it's not going to change your life. I certainly wouldn't say anything before year 10 is unimportant, but it's not like every lesson is absolutely vital. I understand what you are trying to say, and maybe it is the case in really bad schools (and I'm only speaking from experience, the school I did my GCSEs at while a state school isn't particularly bad), where the kids learn nothing every lesson, but in most cases it's not the end of the world. So we didn't do the plenary once in a year 8 German lesson because someone was playing up, oh well. In my school at least, I think enough is done, ability sets really help, once it started getting really important, none of the disruptive kids were in my classes anyway.
    Not the end of the world if people misbehave? No wonder people are sending their children to private schools to keep riff-raff who think it's acceptable to mess about.

Well yes, clearly, but there's a big difference between someone 'disruptive' and someone being highly violent.
    Sadly, the latter is becoming more true by the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patientology)
    You clearly never had an asperger child in your class. There is no way you can deal with them. They interrupt the classes and annoy everyone. Why should they allowed to do this?
    I've had one in the class; oh gosh just oh gosh

I don't actually blame him because his brain is different; I blame the school because he should have been given a textbook and allowed to learn independantly which he would have done(At least in maths and science) as opposed to having other students take advantage of him by promoting and getting laughs from his abnormal behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Well, if they don't want to take up the opportunity that is education, then so be it.

But they shouldn't try and hinder other people in the process.
    Well yeh even set kids according to progress or change education.

This video is quite insightful on the pretty **** education system, although i don't agree with his views on ADHD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the individual. Some children mature and understand things quickly (I was one of them, always behaved in school), but some don't... And especially if their unbringing didn't help them think in this way at all they can't be blamed.

Some people with "home issues" manage to do ok, but again it's about exactly what is affecting the child, and how that individual reacts based on their personality.
    Just because one child deals with being beaten at home (for example) by with drawing within themselves and being very quiet, that doesn't mean that others can be blamed for reacting differently (by perhaps becoming angry themselves and so misbehaving in school).

Schools need to help these pupils help themselves. It works with a lot of them. Of course there are those that are impossible to help, and they should be removed from school perminantly; but we shouldn't assume all children that are a bit disruptive are going to be this way and just doom them to a **** life. A choice you make when you're 12 (and are then never given a chance to rectify it) shouldn't define your entire adult life.

What's wrong with school being optional? Because, like when most of those scientists who are "self taught" were around, the majority of the population would become stupid and ignorant and not know anything, and we will have another unskilled population... Making the eceonomy fall ridiculously.
    As I've explained, helping those children that are a little "naughty" usually works with perseverance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    It depends on the individual. Some children mature and understand things quickly (I was one of them, always behaved in school), but some don't... And especially if their unbringing didn't help them think in this way at all they can't be blamed.

Some people with "home issues" manage to do ok, but again it's about exactly what is affecting the child, and how that individual reacts based on their personality.
    Just because one child deals with being beaten at home (for example) by with drawing within themselves and being very quiet, that doesn't mean that others can be blamed for reacting differently (by perhaps becoming angry themselves and so misbehaving in school).

Schools need to help these pupils help themselves. It works with a lot of them. Of course there are those that are impossible to help, and they should be removed from school perminantly; but we shouldn't assume all children that are a bit disruptive are going to be this way and just doom them to a **** life. A choice you make when you're 12 (and are then never given a chance to rectify it) shouldn't define your entire adult life.

What's wrong with school being optional? Because, like when most of those scientists who are "self taught" were around, the majority of the population would become stupid and ignorant and not know anything, and we will have another unskilled population... Making the eceonomy fall ridiculously.
    As I've explained, helping those children that are a little "naughty" usually works with perseverance.
    1. If someone has been abused and it makes them sad, then surely for that very reason they know that abuse is wrong

2. Sometimes people are disruptive due to a bad background, sometimes they are disruptive as there are extremely wealthy and so know that they will take over the family business eventually; my point is that there are ****holes in all walks of life and those very ****holes should be romeved from school

3. Then send them home until they grow up, instead of allowing them to ruin education for 29 other people in the class

4. We do have a stupid population in my opinion; 5Cs at GCSE and a BTEC in health and beauty is a waste of government money; I feel that there should be less schooling and the less able children should go into employment sooner leaving school for the real intellectual badmen/women

ReputationRep:
    1. If someone has been abused and it makes them sad, then surely for that very reason they know that abuse is wrong

2. Sometimes people are disruptive due to a bad background, sometimes they are disruptive as there are extremely wealthy and so know that they will take over the family business eventually; my point is that there are ****holes in all walks of life and those very ****holes should be romeved from school

3. Then send them home until they grow up, instead of allowing them to ruin education for 29 other people in the class

4. We do have a stupid population in my opinion; 5Cs at GCSE and a BTEC in health and beauty is a waste of government money; I feel that there should be less schooling and the less able children should go into employment sooner leaving school for the real intellectual badmen/women
    1. Clearly you know nothing about psychology and sociology... If you did you'd understand that it's not as simple as that, especially with children.

2. As I said, there are some that won't get better, and I already agreed they should be removed if they refuse to co-operate.

3. I've already said how they won't be disrupting the other 29 people in the class. Clearly you haven't been reading. They should be removed from class, and then helped.

4. Having less people able to go into employment means our economy would be ****ed, our country would be absolute ****... That's why they MADE education compulsory. It made the country a hell of a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    1. Clearly you know nothing about psychology and sociology... If you did you'd understand that it's not as simple as that, especially with children.

2. As I said, there are some that won't get better, and I already agreed they should be removed if they refuse to co-operate.

3. I've already said how they won't be disrupting the other 29 people in the class. Clearly you haven't been reading. They should be removed from class, and then helped.

4. Having less people able to go into employment means our economy would be ****ed, our country would be absolute ****... That's why they MADE education compulsory. It made the country a hell of a lot better.
    1. If someone is horrible to me it does not give me to right to be horrible to others, it's very simple. Your focus is based on giving the attention to one troublesome child at the expense of many mine is the other way round

2. We agree here

3. Why should they recieve one on one tuition if they are removed from class, that's just incentivising bad behaviour

4. Strip back worker protection and send the little buggers into the cotton mills-But really education in it's current state does little to prepare people for the menial jobs which most people end up doing anyway, so only have it for those likley to do well

ReputationRep:
    Hmm....I think disruptive students will fail eventually! So, I think they should be ignored, people like that wont make it to the final year anyways :lol:.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.