Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Wrong quote sir?
    Wrong quote, right person. I'm pretty lazy and couldn't be bothered to press the back button. I was replying to the 'you prove my point. The kids are better out of mainstream schools.' Or something along those lines...Again, to lazy to go back and check!

ReputationRep:
    But how did he even get into university to prove said abilities.
    Well clearly he got in with those grades and then improved immensely.

But it doesn't actually address the issue of GCSEs being dumbed down
    True, it just addresses the league table scam.

Imo, scrap GCSEs/A-levels and bring in O-Levels/iGCSEs and the IB/Pre-Us.

But how did he even get into university to prove said abilities.
    Agreed. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You wrote it?

So you're saying it is acceptable for your doctor to have achieved CCDU? Or your dentist? Or your lawyer?
    No. What YOU said, didn't relate to what I said.

Yes it's acceptable, as long as they went on to do very well at university and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Teaching is a very different profession to being a doctor.
    Aside from that... Not doing amazing at GCSE, but then trying REALLY hard to turn things around and always doing brilliantly from then on should be acceptable. It means they got a hell of a lot better.
    so sorry i brought that up!
    and theyv taken it as your saying!

whoooops haha.

ReputationRep:
    True, it just addresses the league table scam.

Imo, scrap GCSEs/A-levels and bring in O-Levels/iGCSEs and the IB/Pre-Us.
    Now you're talking.

My point came after that statement.
    Those results show his ability when he was 17. If he did brilliantly on his degree and pgce afterwards, THAT'S the reflection on his ability as an adult.
    No CDDU student should be going to university.

Do you want CDDU students doing medicine, law, dentistry, engineering?

ReputationRep:
    The teachers should be given big inflatable hammers and allowed to whack them on the head from across the classroom as in the popular fairground game "whack-a-mole."

Shouldn't have happened.

ReputationRep:
    Is it fair people are being FORCED into doss subjects to up the school's league table points?
    And where did I say it is?

I'm just saying, as someone who is much much better at sciences, I know my results would have suffered if I had to also give the same concentration / effort to languages / english etc etc. I am very sure of that, and am pretty sure that if it wasn't for the fact I could concentrate on the sciences and maths, I would not be where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    No CDDU student should be going to university.

Do you want CDDU students doing medicine, law, dentistry, engineering?
    I already answered that question. Yes, because if they improve immensely at university and graduate with a very good grade like everyone else, they are just as good.

No. What YOU said, didn't relate to what I said.

Yes it's acceptable, as long as they went on to do very well at university and beyond.
    :lolwut:

What CCDU student does well in a Medicine course?

Don't tell me, you find it acceptable for a CCDU student to go to Oxbridge?

Now you're talking.
    Do wish the government were more elitist and didn't give a **** what those at the left of the wing said tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps someone who had other issues during A levels that prevented them from giving their full attention to their studies?

Perhaps someone who is clever, but just didn't work during A levels.

Whatever you think, GCSE and A level results are not that important. They do not tell you if someone is intelligent or not. They do not tell you if someone is good enough to do a particular job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile.

What I'm saying is, nothing further should be done. People who really do have detrimental impact on students education are punished. You'll just have to learn to deal with those who are merely annoying because they chat and may be inclined to pissing about.
    Hmmm... nice logic there! Oh, hold on a second... :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Reml)
    Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning
    I agree with this wholly. People who do not have any intention to learn and stop others from learning is very unfair on the would-be learners. They should be expelled and made to do community service until 16, at which age they'd have left school anyway.
    (Original post by Jacke02)
    Privilege? When i walk past the bottom, bottom set of science GCSE, it sounds soooooooooooooooooooooo boring. If i was in their position, all i would do is mess about!
    I hated school education untill gcse/sixth form.
    Consider why they are in the bottom set to begin with; I'd say anyone in the bottom set has earned the privilege to be there.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    And where did I say it is?

I'm just saying, as someone who is much much better at sciences, I know my results would have suffered if I had to also give the same concentration / effort to languages / english etc etc. I am very sure of that, and am pretty sure that if it wasn't for the fact I could concentrate on the sciences and maths, I would not be where I am now.
    No. Bath would've dismissed poor grades in Languages/English because it has no relevant to your course.

That said, I don't care if you're "scientific" or not. You have to achieve a set level in English.

ReputationRep:
    OK... Mr. admissions officer

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzppp

(5 minutes later)

Aaaaah now you're in

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Don't tell me, you find it acceptable for a CCDU student to go to Oxbridge?
    With hard work and dedication.
    Sometimes bad grades aren't a reflection on ability, but on bad experiences and hindrances occuring. But that's only a side comment anyway.

I already answered that question. Yes, because if they improve immensely at university and graduate with a very good grade like everyone else, they are just as good.
    There is a reason why universities have ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.

What if they don't? Waste of money.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.