Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Perhaps someone who had other issues during A levels that prevented them from giving their full attention to their studies?

Perhaps someone who is clever, but just didn't work during A levels.

Whatever you think, GCSE and A level results are not that important. They do not tell you if someone is intelligent or not. They do not tell you if someone is good enough to do a particular job.
    What if they achieved CCDU because they just couldn't be bothered?

ReputationRep:
    WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT MEDICINE OR OXBRIDGE WITH THOSE GRADES.

and i think youll find, im at uni, doing a professional degree, and i dont have those grades.

just because some flunked at exams means they shouldnt get a shot at following a career they love?

he is now teaching RE and philosophy.
    up until he left the school, everyone liked him. he joined forces with inclusions, and he had a story many people could relate to!

my god calm down people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    No. Bath would've dismissed poor grades in Languages/English because it has no relevant to your course.

That said, I don't care if you're "scientific" or not. You have to achieve a set level in English.
    But it would have meant I would have got poorer results in the sciences (as I would have had to concentrate more on the languages / english subjects that what I did).

What if they achieved CCDU because they just couldn't be bothered?
    You seem to be tarring everyone who gets lower grades with the same brush, when in reality that just is not true.

And what if they go on to prove that they can be bothered by doing very well in a degree and postgrad.

(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    With hard work and dedication.
    Sometimes bad grades aren't a reflection on ability, but on bad experiences and hindrances occuring. But that's only a side comment anyway.
    I'm disgusted.

If they were hard working and were dedicated, they would never have achieved CCDU in the first place.

But it would have meant I would have got poorer results in the sciences (as I would have had to concentrate more on the languages / english subjects that what I did).
    So you aren't able to balance a workload of a few GCSEs?

You're helping my argument, you're basically saying the introduction of the EBacc would make things harder. Good.

ReputationRep:
    There is a reason why universities have ENTRY REQUIREMENTS.

What if they don't? Waste of money.
    Yes. I'm not disputing entry requirements. Idiot.

My point was on the teacher that someone mentioned who didn't do well at A level, but did great after and became a GREAT teacher. Proves my point.

ReputationRep:
    I'm disgusted.

If they were hard working and were dedicated, they would never have achieved CCDU in the first place.
    Stop re-posting to me.
    People MATURE and becoming MORE dedicated.
    And as I've said, it may have not been because of lack of those things that the grades weren't great.

Yes. I'm not disputing entry requirements. Idiot.

My point was on the teacher that someone mentioned who didn't do well at A level, but did great after and became a GREAT teacher. Proves my point.
    Yes you are! You blatantly said it was acceptable for a CCDU student to go to student.

Oh? Define a "great" teacher? One the fulfils bull**** Ofsted criteria?

ReputationRep:
    So you aren't able to balance a workload of a few GCSEs?

You're helping my argument, you're basically saying the introduction of the EBacc would make things harder. Good.
    If you want to turn this into a results game then I got: 4 A*'s, 8 A's and 2 B's. Thus I can balance the workload.

The point is that if I had to work harder / spend more time on the languages and humanities, then that would have taken away from what I could have put into the sciences.
    Most people are not good at everything. Thus we should recognise that in the education system, and allow people to focus on what they are best at.

Of course we need certain standards in certain subjects, but that shouldn't stop pupils from pursuing what they are best at.

Rubbish.
    Again, what about other factors?
    Health, family issues etc etc.

Granted most people who do get lower grades don't have those reasons, but some do.

Stop re-posting to me.
    People MATURE and becoming MORE dedicated.
    And as I've said, it may have not been because of lack of those things that the grades weren't great.
    What if they had none of those things? You seem to assume that EVERYONE who has **** grades has a poor family background or whatever. Once again, using the blame card I see.

ReputationRep:
    I bet imsoacademic is really disruptive in lessons - was this thread aimed at her?

ReputationRep:
    What if they had none of those things? You seem to assume that EVERYONE who has **** grades has a poor family background or whatever. Once again, using the blame card I see.
    You really cannot talk about assumptions. You are the one assuming that everyone who gets poor grades is stupid and lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Do wish the government were more elitist and didn't give a **** what those at the left of the wing said tbh.
    I do wish they were more elitist, this no one fails in UK schools attitude that certain left wingers have adopted sucks. I have looked at old style papers and compared with the modern ones and they more difficult. People will always moan and whinge that someone is being screwed over, but using that as an excuse to drive standards downis unacceptable.

PS. What does tbh mean?

Wait did you mean, "I do wish or do you wish?"?

Well I've typed out the post so I might as well submit

ReputationRep:
    Yes you are! You blatantly said it was acceptable for a CCDU student to go to student.

Oh? Define a "great" teacher? One the fulfils bull**** Ofsted criteria?
    student go to student?

It's acceptable for people with those grades to go into uni, yes, and they do. Because sometimes people improve a hell of a lot!

"great teacher" is from the opinion of the person who actually knew this person. But I'm sure it's not the only example in the country,.
    Thinking that A levels proves the kind of person you'll be forever is just narrow minded and ignorant.

If you want to turn this into a results game then I got: 4 A*'s, 8 A's and 2 B's. Thus I can balance the workload.
    What do you want? A tap on the shoulder? Well done (!)

The point is that if I had to work harder / spend more time on the languages and humanities, then that would have taken away from what I could have put into the sciences.
    Eh? You're basically assuming you have finite time to spend on your education.

Say you had 2 hours a day. 50% on sciences, 50% on humanities. Yes, if you spent more time on humanities, let's say 70%, you would have 30% on sciences. Your statement is true.

But time is not finite. It begs the question, why not increase your workload to 3 hours a day? Don't tell me you would've studied 24/7.

Most people are not good at everything. Thus we should recognise that in the education system, and allow people to focus on what they are best at.
    Britain is the only country that allows children to drop history at 13.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know WHAT is happening in people's lives. If something bad affects them and makes them unable to do brilliantly at A level that shouldn't restrict them for the rest of their lives. People improve.

Rubbish.
    Again, what about other factors?
    Health, family issues etc etc.

Granted most people who do get lower grades don't have those reasons, but some do.
    Jesus, not again.

What if they had NO FAMILY OR HEALTH ISSUES?

ReputationRep:
    I had come across many of them. and all of them are in jail/drugs/criminal records now

So my first view is to advice them. Second is to suspend them. and third is to expel them.

You really cannot talk about assumptions. You are the one assuming that everyone who gets poor grades is stupid and lazy.
    Excuse me? You seem to assume everyone who gets **** grades has poor health and has family issues.

(Original post by PendulumBoB)
    I do wish they were more elitist, this no one fails in UK schools attitude that certain left wingers have adopted sucks. I have looked at old style papers and compared with the modern ones and they more difficult. People will always moan and whinge that someone is being screwed over, but using that as an excuse to drive standards downis unacceptable.

PS. What does tbh mean?

Wait did you mean, "I do wish or do you wish?"?

Well I've typed out the post so I might as well submit
    tbh = to be honest

Yes, I did meant "I do wish". Sorry, typo.

But yes, exams have gotten easier, and it's shocking people still fail.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.