Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    What do you want? A tap on the shoulder? Well done (!)
    Nope, I was just replying to your point about me not being able to handle the workload Obviously that wasn't the case.

But time is not finite.
    What?
    What world do you live in and how do I get there?
    Of course time is bloody finite.

Britain is the only country that allows children to drop history at 13.
    And I agree that is wrong. Though I don't think we should force everyone to do the full GCSE if they don't want to / are not good at it. There should be different "levels" of GCSE like we have with Science (Single, Double, Triple etc) and PE (the compulsary short course and the full GCSE).

Excuse me? You seem to assume everyone who gets **** grades has poor health and has family issues.
    No I do not. I am saying some do. There is a difference. One you don't seem to get.

(Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    student go to student?

It's acceptable for people with those grades to go into uni, yes, and they do. Because sometimes people improve a hell of a lot!
    You don't know if they would improve or not?

"great teacher" is from the opinion of the person who actually knew this person. But I'm sure it's not the only example in the country,.
    How very reliable!

Thinking that A levels proves the kind of person you'll be forever is just narrow minded and ignorant.
    Why thank you.

ReputationRep:
    They should send the disturbance out. :hubba:

(Original post by Josh_Dey)
    :lolwut: What?

ReputationRep:
    You don't know if they would improve or not?

How very reliable!

Why thank you.
    You don't know if the WILL imrpove, but if they don't they will fail their degree (or get a **** grade) and therefore will get no where in the industry.

Clearly you enjoy being stupid... Do you not wonder why so many people neg rep you? It's because while you MAY be smart academically you are very ignorant about life and seriously say some thigns that make NO sense.

I'm going because I would like to enjoy my evening.

ReputationRep:
    Stop re-posting to me.
    People MATURE and becoming MORE dedicated.
    And as I've said, it may have not been because of lack of those things that the grades weren't great.
    The problem is how did the University know he was going to mature and start trying hard? They didn't. Even if someone is very clever but fails due to not turning up or generally being naughty; why should he be let it? The university has no surety that he will try hard if he gets in.

Perhaps if you fail and feel that you are good enough to go on to further education, you should fund it yourself instead of the government taking the risk in subsidising you.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know if the WILL imrpove, but if they don't they will fail their degree (or get a **** grade) and therefore will get no where in the industry.

Clearly you enjoy being stupid... Do you not wonder why so many people neg rep you? It's because while you MAY be smart academically you are very ignorant about life and seriously say some thigns that make NO sense.

I'm going because I would like to enjoy my evening.
    imsoacademic is a realist and you are an idealist; unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world with infinite resources and where everyone will turn out well in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Dey)
    Step inside my office laddie, I'm making you Head Boy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.
    Coporal punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Step inside my office laddie, I'm making you Head Boy...
    About time! :banana2:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: What?

If the student continually disturbs the class, and therefore makes learning more difficult, the student should be sent out. Simples. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Coporal punishment.
    Cool, send in the army to deal with the problem; that'll learn 'em

Retake your A-levels then.

Yes, because you are always right yourself.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Coporal punishment.
    Agreed. I second that.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. I second that.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=30940727

We're debating whether or not it would be useful on chavs, you should join in. Although some people don't seem to know what a 'chav' is. :facepalm2:

(Original post by .Ali.)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=30940727

We're debating whether or not it would be useful on chavs, you should join in. Although some people don't seem to know what a 'chav' is. :facepalm2:
    Seriously?! :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?! :facepalm2:
    Yup. I said that chavs say "oryte m8" and some silly idiot took it as "insult to every working class person". :facepalm2: It's not about poor people and rich people, it's about common decency ffs.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus wept look at these two ^^^

Unbelievable Jeff - The nightmare two.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Coporal punishment.
    It's not that effective, at least it certainly wasn't in my case. I was on the receiving end of the slipper while still in infants' school (granted, I did spill a whole crate of milk while using the trolley it was transported between classes on as a go-cart). I couldn't tell you how many times I had the slipper, caine and strap (on hands and backside) before I even got to comprehensive school. By that time the further usage of such instruments of 'discipline' just made me laugh, and tended just to humiliate the teachers who didn't know what to do with a student who continue to bend over or hold his hand out untill they had had enough. 'Passive aggression' I think it's called these days. The worst of such weapons was called the 'ouch stick' which was, essentially, a hand-crafted cricket bat used by one of our woodwork teachers and on which the word 'OUCH' was chalked in reverse for the benefit of appearance on the victim's pants. That one really did hurt and it was difficult to stop your eyes watering such was the pain. And it was impossible to sit down for the remainder of the day after the ouch-stick (you had to fold your arms on the desk and just pretend to sit down, lol ). Yet even this didn't deter me, if anything it only made me more willing to defy authority and much less easily intimidated by the threat of physical force.

In some ways I think it did me a favour as I certainly didn't leave school a weakling after all that violence against me - the problem is that some students might easily have been humiliated and mentally squashed by it and suffered for the remainder of their life, different people react differently to these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    It's not that effective, at least it certainly wasn't in my case. I was on the receiving end of the slipper while still in infants' school (granted, I did spill a whole crate of milk while using the trolley it was transported between classes on as a go-cart). I couldn't tell you how many times I had the slipper, caine and strap (on hands and backside) before I even got to comprehensive school. By that time the further usage of such instruments of 'discipline' just made me laugh, and tended just to humiliate the teachers who didn't know what to do with a student who continue to bend over or hold his hand out untill they had had enough. 'Passive aggression' I think it's called these days. The worst of such weapons was called the 'ouch stick' which was, essentially, a hand-crafted cricket bat used by one of our woodwork teachers and on which the word 'OUCH' was chalked in reverse for the benefit of appearance on the victim's pants. That one really did hurt and it was difficult to stop your eyes watering such was the pain. And it was impossible to sit down for the remainder of the day after the ouch-stick (you had to fold your arms on the desk and just pretend to sit down, lol ). Yet even this didn't deter me, if anything it only made me more willing to defy authority and much less easily intimidated by the threat of physical force.

In some ways I think it did me a favour as I certainly didn't leave school a weakling after all that violence against me - the problem is that some students might easily have been humiliated and mentally squashed by it and suffered for the remainder of their life, different people react differently to these things.
    It doesn't work in every case, but it does in some. It also allows the victim (if it's bullying/abuse or whatever) to feel that justice has been done. It's a deterrant to the 'minor offendors' (the kids who aren't really bad, the one's who just go too far sometimes) and the hardcore bad ones get what they deserve. In my opinion, it seems quite a good thing.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.