The Student Room Group

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wildrover
Nothing, everyine enjoys the disruptions even if they pretend that they don't.

Definitely not everyone
Discipline.

Definitely discipline. Those who misbehave need to have the solid knowledge that if they misbehave, they WILL be punished - and punished properly...

In my school, disruptive behaviour is not exactly punished... lateness however is. However, when a detention is handed out, it means staying 45 mins after school on a tuesday afternoon... in this time, the miscreants are allowed to do any homework that they have...

If even with stronger discipline, problems still persist - chuck those responsible out of class until they realise that their behaviour is damaging their and their classmates' future.

(I don't mean suspend them and let them swan around at home - suspend them in school, in a bare room for day after day with nothing to do :colone: )
Well what can you do?
Thank god that they dont take extreme measures - because I wasnt always well behaved in lessons at all...but ive moved on so far from then and i understand the importance of not disurbing others and to work soo..yayyy
anyhoo if you have a problem with someone- tell them to shhhhutup, thats what ill do.
Original post by DeepThought
(I don't mean suspend them and let them swan around at home - suspend them in school, in a bare room for day after day with nothing to do :colone: )

like isolation?
isolation only works to a point. however i do half agree with you.

but with isolation, if people are sent to give you your work, its usually your friend, which means you sit and chat for half an hour, then they go back to the classroom and tell the teacher "they didnt understand so i explained till they did"
also, your often not watched all the time, therefore you can go to the loo and meet a friend in the loo...

so isolation is good, but the work doesnt get done anyway, and you can still see your mates...

BUT the solution to this, is having to follow your head or deputy head of year around, i.e having to sit in there lessons, and do the work, which means they can sit and watch you, and it doesnt disrupt their lessons, as they often find you a corner, and the rest of the class knows your in trouble so dont talk to you...
and at breaks and lunch they either make you stand outside the staffroom, sit you in the library, or in the isolation corridoor.

i find this way works much better than in an isolation room or corridoor.

and iv had both types of isolation many times when i was in schooollll....
Original post by arabcnesbit
What if you caught an STD through your own negligence? What about if you got a sports injury? What if you tried to commit suicide? What about smokers?

Slippery slope my friend, slippery slope.

No one wants to pay taxes.

It is a slippery slope but we need to say stop at some point. We don't do boob jobs on the NHS so we've already created boundaries. I think certain things should be extended. Like we should scrap the four hour rule in A&E, bed numbers increased and drunks kept longer. Currently we pump them full of fluids and get them to sober up as quickly as possible. They leave with no hangover and probably no embarrassment about having to go to A&E on a night out.
Reply 705
Bring back the cane.
did someone say workhouse? jk.

In all honesty i think it's too extreme to just outright expel them and deny them the privillege of education. I'm quite glad the government doesn't resort to extreme expulsion schemes and takes the time to find out why they're not learning and how they can improve this (albeit they're quite **** at this atm). Afterall with a decent education they can get a decent job, contribute to society and not buy all the crap they read in the sun. If we resorted to just expelling kids straight up for messing about I predict a steep rise in BNP voters from uneducated fools.

I also disagree with giving only the good teachers to good students and bad teachers to bad students. Not only will this cause problems between relations between teachers (they will clock on fast they're the '****' teacher when they're teaching bottom set) but also it will further widen the divide between students ability which will create even more prominent elitist class divides in society in the long run. Everyone should get roughly the same quality teachers regardless. Also quite a few mature near the later years ( yes I know a significant number still don't) and they end up getting decent or fantastic grades at GCSE which they never would have get if they are kicked out early.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by insoms

Original post by insoms
Take them out of it.

They all hate school so much and think its such a waste of time, they''ll thank us for it.

I've seen some claiming the world would be better off without school, the same kind of idiots who think the world would be better off without poilice. Ie no understanding of how the world works at all.

Alas this is inevitably what happens when students don't see the value in education and pursue it. They end up becoming the people who complain and express their opiniinion as if it has much value. Sadly it does not.
Original post by Charm&Witt_93

Original post by Charm&Witt_93
Well what can you do?
Thank god that they dont take extreme measures - because I wasnt always well behaved in lessons at all...but ive moved on so far from then and i understand the importance of not disurbing others and to work soo..yayyy
anyhoo if you have a problem with someone- tell them to shhhhutup, thats what ill do.

I've had quite a few occurrences where people would just continue to talk and talk and talk out of line in class, resulting in me turning around and asking them to shut up for those of us who want to learn. of course I would say this with a stinge of anger and irritability.

Good way to vent that anger that amassed itself while waiting in a far too long line to eat :wink:
Execute the parents.
Original post by PonchoKid

BUT the solution to this, is having to follow your head or deputy head of year around, i.e having to sit in there lessons, and do the work, which means they can sit and watch you, and it doesnt disrupt their lessons, as they often find you a corner, and the rest of the class knows your in trouble so dont talk to you...
and at breaks and lunch they either make you stand outside the staffroom, sit you in the library, or in the isolation corridoor.

Nice one, I like it
Reply 711
Im sure some of you watched Jamie's Dream School, and although controversial, i really enjoyed the programme, and found it quite heart warming, finding myself in tears several times. SOPPY. Others say they were a load of dicks. But thats your opinions.

Although some exceptions, i think it showed that there are a million ways to teach, and different styles suit different people. And some need a practical style. I think that in some cases, the teaching style should change.

On a more personal note, my brother has emotional/social problems, borderline autism, aspergers, ADHD.. but because he isnt "defined" or "labelled" he cant get the FULL level of support he needs. He messes around in class, and im sure annoys other students who do want to learn. He finds it hard to concentrate for long periods of time, despite wanting to learn. I therefore think that the education does need to change, to provide more vocational subjects. And to be taught at a more fun level. And teach things that are useful... i have never used trigonometry in my life since GCSE.. and dont think i ever will!!
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile. :h:

What I'm saying is, nothing further should be done. People who really do have detrimental impact on students education are punished. You'll just have to learn to deal with those who are merely annoying because they chat and may be inclined to pissing about. :u:

That attitude pretty much sums up why we don't have the best schools in the world now
Corporal punishment please.

Mainly because I'm a masochist...
Nice one, I like it

this way works pretty well.
had to do it a few times [=
this way works pretty well.
had to do it a few times [=

Yeah, we have two things sort of like that in school... but rather different...
the first is like a sort of detention - except you sit with the year leader

the second is an in-school suspension where you basically sit in the year leader's office all day... and people bring work I guess
Yeah, we have two things sort of like that in school... but rather different...
the first is like a sort of detention - except you sit with the year leader

the second is an in-school suspension where you basically sit in the year leader's office all day... and people bring work I guess

we had normal detentions, with a teacher, school detentions if you did something worse. then after school detentions, which usually meant cleaning chewing gum of tables.

then isolation.
depending on what you did and how well you cooperated you either went in the corridoor with no permanent supervision for a day. or followed a teacher round.

then we had fixed term exclusion which could be your not allowed to school for a day up to however long they felt, my mate had about 3 months...

then permanent exclusion...

each one was more severe...
then we also had loads of different types of reports for different things, which every lunch time you had to report to your head or deputy head of year, and let the look at how the day had gone in your report, then depending on how good or bad you were, you were either alowed out at lunch or not...
It depends. If they are a disturbance to the point where they are regularly being detrimental to other students education, and it cannot be dealt with in the classroom, solitary detention during lessons is probably the best option for all parties.

The class can get on without distraction, and the distraction can do his/her work elsewhere under strict supervision.

Doing nothing will result in class failure.

Removing the distraction from the school environment completely (exclusion) is no good for their future (as much as they may not care at the time).
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Kick em out!

I'd rather that one idiot fail than the 20 pupils in the class who actually want to learn.

Agreed, and tbh, that person was destined to fail from the start.

Or the person sees their friend and starts chatting again.

Runs off?

i find this way works much better than in an isolation room or corridoor.

and iv had both types of isolation many times when i was in schooollll....

Imo, it should be prison style. Locked doors and the like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending