(Original post by DeepThought)
    Nice one, I like it
    this way works pretty well.
    had to do it a few times [=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    this way works pretty well.
    had to do it a few times [=
    Yeah, we have two things sort of like that in school... but rather different...
    the first is like a sort of detention - except you sit with the year leader

the second is an in-school suspension where you basically sit in the year leader's office all day... and people bring work I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeepThought)
    Yeah, we have two things sort of like that in school... but rather different...
    the first is like a sort of detention - except you sit with the year leader

the second is an in-school suspension where you basically sit in the year leader's office all day... and people bring work I guess
    we had normal detentions, with a teacher, school detentions if you did something worse. then after school detentions, which usually meant cleaning chewing gum of tables.

then isolation.
    depending on what you did and how well you cooperated you either went in the corridoor with no permanent supervision for a day. or followed a teacher round.

then we had fixed term exclusion which could be your not allowed to school for a day up to however long they felt, my mate had about 3 months...

then permanent exclusion...

each one was more severe...
    then we also had loads of different types of reports for different things, which every lunch time you had to report to your head or deputy head of year, and let the look at how the day had gone in your report, then depending on how good or bad you were, you were either alowed out at lunch or not...

ReputationRep:
    It depends. If they are a disturbance to the point where they are regularly being detrimental to other students education, and it cannot be dealt with in the classroom, solitary detention during lessons is probably the best option for all parties.

The class can get on without distraction, and the distraction can do his/her work elsewhere under strict supervision.

Doing nothing will result in class failure.

Removing the distraction from the school environment completely (exclusion) is no good for their future (as much as they may not care at the time).

(Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp)
    Kick em out!

I'd rather that one idiot fail than the 20 pupils in the class who actually want to learn.
    Agreed, and tbh, that person was destined to fail from the start.

BUT the solution to this, is having to follow your head or deputy head of year around, i.e having to sit in there lessons, and do the work, which means they can sit and watch you, and it doesnt disrupt their lessons, as they often find you a corner, and the rest of the class knows your in trouble so dont talk to you...
    Or the person sees their friend and starts chatting again.

and at breaks and lunch they either make you stand outside the staffroom, sit you in the library, or in the isolation corridoor.
    Runs off?

i find this way works much better than in an isolation room or corridoor.

and iv had both types of isolation many times when i was in schooollll....
    Imo, it should be prison style. Locked doors and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Or the person sees their friend and starts chatting again.
    no, because your sat in a classroom, thats not in your year, if it is your year you usually sit outside. and theres a teacher in the room that you have to follow.
    it works, trust me... you have no belife in this system do you...

Runs off?
    run off when your right outside the staffroom door, with teachers there all the time, and in my school if you were stood there, everyone knew you had to be there, and a teacher would check every 10 15 mins or so...
    and in the library the librarians were told you were put in there so kept an eye on you...

Imo, it should be prison style. Locked doors and the like.
    no it shouldnt be like a prison. why are you obsessed with kicking people out of school, and making their lives hell, and putting them in prison?

no, because your sat in a classroom, thats not in your year, if it is your year you usually sit outside. and theres a teacher in the room that you have to follow.
    it works, trust me... you have no belife in this system do you...
    It does not always work. People do have friends in other years.

run off when your right outside the staffroom door, with teachers there all the time, and in my school if you were stood there, everyone knew you had to be there, and a teacher would check every 10 15 mins or so...
    and in the library the librarians were told you were put in there so kept an eye on you...
    It's their free time. Why should they use it patrolling unruly kids?

no it shouldnt be like a prison. why are you obsessed with kicking people out of school, and making their lives hell, and putting them in prison?
    It's their own fault.

ReputationRep:
    kick em in the nuts/vag

ReputationRep:
    Put them all in a room together and lock the door. Whoever comes out on top earns the right to have a second chance at education.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, and tbh, that person was destined to fail from the start.
    Definitely!

ReputationRep:
    It does not always work. People do have friends in other years.
    people do have friends in other years yes. but what im saying is with the teacher in the room, they often see that your in trouble, and dont chat to you... if they do the teacher often says dont speak to them as their in enough trouble already... and so on.

have faith in the system!

It's their free time. Why should they use it patrolling unruly kids?
    they dont patrol, in my school you could walk through the staffroom and look out of the door and see you standing there... also we had a noone in the corridoors at lunch policy, and 6th formers and teachers were "on duty"

It's their own fault.
    im not even gonna bother with this comment...

im not even gonna bother with this comment...
    Why? Because it's true?

I mean, if a kid disrupts a class, do you blame the Honey Spunk Monster?

If a kid is persistently not willing to do the work, do you blame Percy the dog?

It's their own fault.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because it's true?

If a kid is persistently not willing to do the work, do you blame Percy the dog?

It's their own fault.
    The point is that there are nearly always reasons behind that behaviour.
    If you can find and sort out those reasons, then you sort the behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because it's true?

It's their own fault.
    pretty much what welshbird said...

you seem to be set on the idea that there is NEVER a reason behind behaviour though, and i really cant be bothered arguing with you about it

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    The point is that there are nearly always reasons behind that behaviour.
    If you can find and sort out those reasons, then you sort the behaviour.
    No, trust me, there are some utter ****s in the system. Why can't you understand that?

Main reason: because they know they can take advantage and won't be reprimanded for it.

pretty much what welshbird said...

you seem to be set on the idea that there is NEVER a reason behind behaviour though, and i really cant be bothered arguing with you about it
    It's irrelevant. Rules are rules - whoever you are. Otherwise, what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    It's irrelevant. Rules are rules - whoever you are. Otherwise, what's the point?
    Go to sleep

ReputationRep:
    so your saying the rule is if a child deisrupts its instantly their fault, and they should be punished?
    noone should look into why they did something.
    or their home life.
    or the fact they have been bullied their entire life, and kicking off and defending themselves is the only thing they think is best yet theyll get punished for it...

i admit some people kick of for s**ts and gigs.

but there are some people out there that have a reason for why they behave.

ReputationRep:
    A year ago I would have said they should be put in isolation, excluded etc like most people here have been saying. However, having spent my gap year working as a primary school teaching assistant I have come to realise that something does need to be done, but it needs to be done much much earlier. I work in a year 1 class and could probably name now the children who will be disrupting classes in eight years time when they're doing GCSEs. However, I Strongly feel that for 99% there is a reason for their behaviour. It is easy to sit and listen in class when you've had a good night's sleep in a warm house the night before, harder when you've been sharing a cold room with three other siblings. Easier to trust that teachers know best when you've had a stable childhood, harder when you were taken into care at 2 and have lived in 5 different homes by the time you start school. Of course, there are the children who just enjoy winding up teachers and playing the fool but these generally become the year 10 pupil who talks a bit too much but brightens up a boring science lesson, not the pupil who throws chairs across the room and swears at teachers. These pupils need to be treated firmly but with respect.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.