Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have had so much trouble with people like this! I think that all classes should be assessed on ability, and segregated accordingly. It's extremely unfair to those who want to learn otherwise, as they end up teaching the people who don't want to know and don't learn themselves.
    It's all because of a culture in the education system that tries to get all students to straight Cs, but this really isn't good enough for some people. It's not fair to sacrifice the bright students to accommodate those who are disruptive.
    Those who are less intelligent but want to learn should also be allowed to do so without distractions or temptation not to bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PonchoKid)
    pretty much what welshbird said...

you seem to be set on the idea that there is NEVER a reason behind behaviour though, and i really cant be bothered arguing with you about it
    There is a reason behind every rape, murder and act of pedaphilia (Sorry to cite extreme examples, but something needs to shock you out your utopian tower). Sometimes abuse or any other type of bad start in life has caused this, but why don't we just give them some therapy to help them behave instead of just locking them away?

Because it's just too expensive to pay for some guy to "understand" them and tell them that they are not bad people when other government departments are underfunded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissNel)
    A year ago I would have said they should be put in isolation, excluded etc like most people here have been saying. However, having spent my gap year working as a primary school teaching assistant I have come to realise that something does need to be done, but it needs to be done much much earlier. I work in a year 1 class and could probably name now the children who will be disrupting classes in eight years time when they're doing GCSEs. However, I Strongly feel that for 99% there is a reason for their behaviour. It is easy to sit and listen in class when you've had a good night's sleep in a warm house the night before, harder when you've been sharing a cold room with three other siblings. Easier to trust that teachers know best when you've had a stable childhood, harder when you were taken into care at 2 and have lived in 5 different homes by the time you start school. Of course, there are the children who just enjoy winding up teachers and playing the fool but these generally become the year 10 pupil who talks a bit too much but brightens up a boring science lesson, not the pupil who throws chairs across the room and swears at teachers. These pupils need to be treated firmly but with respect.
    Solution: Steralisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by csea)
    I think that all classes should be assessed on ability, and segregated accordingly. It's extremely unfair to those who want to learn otherwise, as they end up teaching the people who don't want to know and don't learn themselves. It's not fair to sacrifice the bright students to accommodate those who are disruptive.
    This is all very well but makes the assumption that no disruptive student is also intelligent and no bright student can be disruptive. In the class I work in the most disruptive boy is also by far the most intelligent and could easily be moved forward a whole school year if he could just sit still and listen without disrupting the whole class.

(Original post by PonchoKid)
    so your saying the rule is if a child deisrupts its instantly their fault, and they should be punished?
    noone should look into why they did something.
    or their home life.
    or the fact they have been bullied their entire life, and kicking off and defending themselves is the only thing they think is best yet theyll get punished for it...

i admit some people kick of for s**ts and gigs.

but there are some people out there that have a reason for why they behave.
    Fair enough, but I'm talking about the people IN BOLD.

Also, how the **** does a poor home life mean you can instantly disregard the rules? Rules are there for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PendulumBoB)
    Solution: Steralisation

Oh dear, I really do worry about the world sometimes.
    Education, not sterilisation. Fix the chain don't break it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    How the **** does a poor home life mean you can instantly disregard the rules? Rules are there for everyone.
    It doesn't, but it does mean you might need more help and support to follow them, and just a little bit more understanding from other people.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, I really do worry about the world sometimes.
    Education, not sterilisation. Fix the chain don't break it.
    My way's far cheaper-It's just social Darwinism, but faster.

Our current society promotes breeding amongst, the lazy, stupid and selfish, and there are far too many people anyway we have make cut-backs (In a very literal sense) somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    My way's far cheaper-It's just social Darwinism, but faster.
    true true, still not a solution in my opinion though. Mostly because it's illegal but also it is a very very very slippery slope.

It doesn't, but it does mean you might need more help and support to follow them, and just a little bit more understanding from other people.
    That is true, but does it mean their behaviour is acceptable and should be tolerated?

No.

ReputationRep:
    true true, still not a solution in my opinion though. Mostly because it's illegal but also it is a very very very slippery slope.
    Your second point about it being a slippery slope is valid I suppose ("How could you not vote for our glorious party, you must be mad. No more breeding for you")

Perhaps those who mess around at school should be put on a national database and be blacklisted, to get no benefits if they become unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I'm talking about the people IN BOLD.

Also, how the **** does a poor home life mean you can instantly disregard the rules? Rules are there for everyone.
    People are damaged, they will have authority issues, they cannot help the environment in which they grew up.

Most of the time it is not their own fault.

ReputationRep:
    Your second point about it being a slippery slope is valid I suppose ("How could you not vote for our glorious party, you must be mad. No more breeding for you")

Perhaps those who mess around at school should be put on a national database and be blacklisted, to get no benefits if they become unemployed.
    Hmm, I just hope you're not a doing/planning to do politics at uni!!!
    On another note, that would be a hell of a lot of homeless people. Also, what constitutes 'messing around at school?' I got 3 As at A level and was pobably considered a pretty well behaved pupil but was still told to stop talking in most maths lessons

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I just hope you're not a doing/planning to do politics at uni!!!
    On another note, that would be a hell of a lot of homeless people. Also, what constitutes 'messing around at school?' I got 3 As at A level and was pobably considered a pretty well behaved pupil but was still told to stop talking in most maths lessons
    Round them up and get them working at the roadsides. Also I feel that school should be optional to allow the real academics to excel: either that or trade school at 13 for those not good enough for academia.

And no-Politics, there'd be more sense in taking law/history/english/PPE if I wanted to go into Politics.

(Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    People are damaged, they will have authority issues, they cannot help the environment in which they grew up.

Most of the time it is not their own fault.
    Then don't ruin it for other people.

But, wait a second, you're telling me a child is incapable of shutting up and sitting down?

In other countries where there is absolute poverty and children suffer even greater than children in this first-world MEDC - they VALUE their education.

Why can't British kids do the same?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, definately not optional school, education surely is a right that everyone is entitled to, 'education is power' n all that lark. But trade at 13, possibly. I don't really know why I'm arguing anyway, I'm usually a totally unpolitical person.

Speech therapy and politics don't really go well together.

ReputationRep:
    These people are effectively mentally ill (I say this because I can't think of a better phrase), they don't really care who they disrupt.

But, wait a second, you're telling me a child is incapable of shutting up and sitting down?
    Yes, unless you use serious force, which should never happen.

In other countries where there is absolute poverty and children suffer even greater than children in this first-world MEDC - they VALUE their education.

It has become endemic for children to not want to go to school. People living on council estates do not want to go to school, they have not had to go to school (with the dole being severely handicapped in the next few years I use the past tense), so why should they value their education?

People do not want to learn for learning's sake, because often down the line in their school past they have been ignored and cast aside. Why should they make the effort?

Haha, definately not optional school, education surely is a right that everyone is entitled to, 'education is power' n all that lark. But trade at 13, possibly. I don't really know why I'm arguing anyway, I'm usually a totally unpolitical person.

Speech therapy and politics don't really go well together.
    Education is power only if you ****ing use it and pay attention, no? :rolleyes:

(Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    These people are effectively mentally ill (I say this because I can't think of a better phrase), they don't really care who they disrupt.
    Oh yes, so a significant proportion of British teenagers are mentally ill, right?

Kick them out them. Better for one to suffer than a whole class.

Yes, unless you use serious force, which should never happen.
    Compliance with the rules is one of the greatest lessons a child could ever receive.

It has become endemic for children to not want to go to school. People living on council estates do not want to go to school, they have not had to go to school (with the dole being severely handicapped in the next few years I use the past tense), so why should they value their education?
    It will better their lives. Fine, if they do not want to learn. It is them who are going to suffer ultimately. **** 'em. The government gives you the opportunity to better your life and you shun it? They deserve the environment they are still in tbh. Stupid, ungrateful scroungers. A person could have used that wasted place.

People do not want to learn for learning's sake, because often down the line in their school past they have been ignored and cast aside. Why should they make the effort?
    For their own ****ing benefit. There is a reason why education is a right. But what's the point if people aren't bothered.

I have absolutely NO sympathy for any teenager ****er who does not put effort into their education and is living on benefits. Fair enough they may be ripping off the taxpayer, but they will never attain a higher standard of living, so sucks to be them.

Retarded people. If you don't want to learn, fine, but don't complain about it later. One day they will regret it. And that's when it finally hits.

ReputationRep:

This.

In poor countries the children behave so much better at school, if they can do it (Despite their relatively awful lives(Relative to British children)) why can't British kids?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.