Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    No welfare state, no problem.

Pupils who mess around know that there is always the option of sitting at home doing SFA with no rent or council tax to pay and cash in your hand every couple of weeks.

If you decide to start pumping out kids (who will probably have just as little ambition as their parents) then the state will reward you with a bigger, free house, more perks and even more money in your pocket.

Until this changes, it doesn't matter what you do in schools because there is always a safety net for the idle, so why should they bother?

(Original post by PendulumBoB)
    This.

In poor countries the children behave so much better at school, if they can do it (Despite their relatively awful lives(Relative to British children)) why can't British kids?
    Exactly, so the "crap family background" one is a complete fallacy.

There is no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Oh yes, so a significant proportion of British teenagers are mentally ill, right?

Kick them out them. Better for one to suffer than a whole class.
    Yes, most people are.

Compliance with the rules is one of the greatest lessons a child could ever receive.
    For young children yes, for older (secondary) children, not so much. However for these unruly youngsters rules are important for others' safety.

It will better their lives. Fine, if they do not want to learn. It is them who are going to suffer ultimately. **** 'em. The government gives you the opportunity to better your life and you shun it? They deserve the environment they are still in tbh. Stupid, ungrateful scroungers. A person could have used that wasted place.
    They don't know what it is to learn, they haven't experienced it before. They have to take their teachers' words for it, who they may not trust. They deserve the environment they're in? Expand on that..?

I have absolutely NO sympathy for any teenager ****er who does not put effort into their education and is living on benefits. Fair enough they may be ripping off the taxpayer, but they will never attain a higher standard of living, so sucks to be them.

Retarded people. If you don't want to learn, fine, but don't complain about it later. One day they will regret it. And that's when it finally hits.
    Even one who has been abused throughout the only 15 years of their lives? Their priority may not be their GCSEs.

People who are aware of education and who do not want to learn should be removed from the system and their non-used resources re-distributed. They should also be allowed to re-enter the system later on if they are committed.

(Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Yes, most people are.
    Source? Absolute bull****.

For young children yes, for older (secondary) children, not so much. However for these unruly youngsters rules are important for others' safety.
    What do you mean not so much? Do you want teenagers leaving school attacking like utter ****s?

They don't know what it is to learn, they haven't experienced it before.
    People who have never experienced sex still lose their virginities.

That is an absurd statement to make.

They have to take their teachers' words for it, who they may not trust.
    Fine, they don't have to use their education.

They deserve the environment they're in? Expand on that..?
    If you are brought up from a **** household and the like and you do not bother to put any effort into your education, you deserve it. You deserve a life on the dole, living on poor council estates, enjoying your cannabis and doing **** all.

Even one who has been abused throughout the only 15 years of their lives? Their priority may not be their GCSEs.
    Yes, because EVERY single individual who messes about were abused since birth.

People who are aware of education and who do not want to learn should be removed from the system and their non-used resources re-distributed. They should also be allowed to re-enter the system later on if they are committed.
    Then tell me, why isn't this happening?

ReputationRep:
    1. Source? Absolute bull****.

2. What do you mean not so much? Do you want teenagers leaving school attacking like utter ****s?

3. People who have never experienced sex still lose their virginities.

That is an absurd statement to make.

Fine, they don't have to use their education.

4. If you are brought up from a **** household and the like and you do not bother to put any effort into your education, you deserve it. You deserve a life on the dole, living on poor council estates, enjoying your cannabis and doing **** all.

5. Yes, because EVERY single individual who messes about were abused since birth.

6. Then tell me, why isn't this happening?
    Can't be bothered separating quotes.

1. You missed the point of my comment. Most people are completely unaware of the world. Unaware is a better word.

2. No, I mean it is important for teenagers to be able to rebel to an extent and explore their identity.

3. Sex doesn't have a negative stigma. Not for teenagers anyway. Education does, people who do well in their education are called nerds. People who do well in sex are called LADs. See the difference?

4. You don't grasp what a bad environment can do, we will not get anywhere here.

5. Asume they were, respond to what I said now. it was an extreme example in a situation where there is a spectrum of environments.

6. Why should they? Society tells people that they need an education to get a job in order to get money. If they accept this, which most people do, then why bother going back to work when the dole pays more?

Can't be bothered separating quotes.

1. You missed the point of my comment. Most people are completely unaware of the world. Unaware is a better word.

2. No, I mean it is important for teenagers to be able to rebel to an extent and explore their identity.

3. Sex doesn't have a negative stigma. Not for teenagers anyway. Education does, people who do well in their education are called nerds. People who do well in sex are called LADs. See the difference?

4. You don't grasp what a bad environment can do, we will not get anywhere here.

5. Asume they were, respond to what I said now. it was an extreme example in a situation where there is a spectrum of environments.

6. Why should they? Society tells people that they need an education to get a job in order to get money. If they accept this, which most people do, then why bother going back to work when the dole pays more?
    1. They can read the news or use Google.

2. They can rebel all they like. But they must realise that there are consequences for their actions and their actions will not be tolerated.

3. If a teenager is too sheep-like to better their own life for the sake of being part of their pathetic crowd, so be it. They'll regret it.

4. Believe me, I do. Don't ****ing tell me what I don't or do know. How come people were still educated in poor environments? Or people from third world countries?

5. But your stupid extreme example does not reflect the general situation.

6. Change the welfare system. That'll sort them out. And if they don't want a job, fine, might as well kick them out at the earliest opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    1. They can read the news or use Google.

2. They can rebel all they like. But they must realise that there are consequences for their actions and their actions will not be tolerated.

3. If a teenager is too sheep-like to better their own life for the sake of being part of their pathetic crowd, so be it. They'll regret it.

4. Believe me, I do. Don't ****ing tell me what I don't or do know. How come people were still educated in poor environments? Or people from third world countries?

5. But your stupid extreme example does not reflect the general situation.

6. Change the welfare system. That'll sort them out. And if they don't want a job, fine, might as well kick them out at the earliest opportunity.
    1. I meant emotionally, your reply kind of reflected my point.

2. If there are too many rules though they will be resentful for the rest of their lives, this won't help ANYONE.

3. Most people are sheep, never mind teenagers, it is difficult work breaking out of that conditioning.

4. In many cases, you cannot willpower your way out of environmental conditioning without serious help.

5. It is not as stupid as you make out. Many people in my area are like this, it is not so extreme really, the extremity comes with the type of the abuse, be it neglect or direct abuse.

6. I agree, the welfare system should be changed, more targeted and less bureaucratic.

ReputationRep:
    Education is power only if you ****ing use it and pay attention, no? :rolleyes:

No, education is power full stop. If you use it well even better but if you use it badly it's still pretty powerful. Also, please don't swear at me. thanks

1. I meant emotionally, your reply kind of reflected my point.

2. If there are too many rules though they will be resentful for the rest of their lives, this won't help ANYONE.

3. Most people are sheep, never mind teenagers, it is difficult work breaking out of that conditioning.

4. In many cases, you cannot willpower your way out of environmental conditioning without serious help.

5. It is not as stupid as you make out. Many people in my area are like this, it is not so extreme really, the extremity comes with the type of the abuse, be it neglect or direct abuse.

6. I agree, the welfare system should be changed, more targeted and less bureaucratic.
    1. Yeah, the majority of teenagers are disaffected with the world and THIS causes the inability to shut up.

2. Oh come on! How are: a) being quiet, b) doing your work, c) showing your respect etc "too many rules"? They're called manners.

3. Then people need to get a grip. No excuse for their behaviour.

4. What is "many"? Give me some ****ing statistics. Because even if it is 100% of people in your area who are like that - compared to the rest of Britain? It's relatively small.

6. And not give school drop-outs an easy life.

(Original post by MissNel)
    No, education is power full stop. If you use it well even better but if you use it badly it's still pretty powerful. Also, please don't swear at me. thanks
    Please, elaborate on that point.

That is such a stupid statement to make.

ReputationRep:
    In my University course, there is a group of 6 or 7 Pakistani/Indian girls (most I believe due to how good their English is, have grown up in Glasgow for a while.)

They. Don't. Shut. Up.

I swear I want to turn round sometimes and tell them to F*** off.
    But then they'll play the "racial discrimination" card and I'll get called a racist.

They're not just disruptive either! One of my friends is gay and at the introductory lecture he had to sit next to one of them and supposedly they muttered rather loudly "Oh great, just my luck I have to sit next to the gay guy"

Seriously, nothing against people of other races, but if they want to be *****y and disrupt lectures where I need to listen, they can clear off.

ReputationRep:
    1. Yeah, the majority of teenagers are disaffected with the world and THIS causes the inability to shut up.

2. Oh come on! How are: a) being quiet, b) doing your work, c) showing your respect etc "too many rules"? They're called manners.

3. Then people need to get a grip. No excuse for their behaviour.

4. What is "many"? Give me some ****ing statistics. Because even if it is 100% of people in your area who are like that - compared to the rest of Britain? It's relatively small.

6. And not give school drop-outs an easy life.
    1. We will disagree ad infinitum. We have our own evidences.

2. Yes manners are great. But I was talking rules in general is all.

3. Refer to number one.

4. All I have is my area, and my parents experience throughout the UK and the Middle East/Africa. There are no statistics for peoples emotions and personal experiences (No matter how much the Tories want to have a happy-ometer).

Just a final point (I think we are reaching an end to our aside): Open your mind to other types of evidence apart from statistics. Just try and be more emotionally aware you will see the world very differently.

ReputationRep:
    The cane.

ReputationRep:
    Please, elaborate on that point.

That is such a stupid statement to make.

Hitler was a pretty well educatated guy. Obviously that is an extreme example but I think you get the point now?

Plus, empowering people to change their lives is not about asking them not to follow the crowd. For some people it's asking them to turn away from their culture and their family. It's 10x easier for someone from a middle class family to get into university than it is for someone from a rough background. This just shows how much other factors play into how a person succeeds in life.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I'm talking about the people IN BOLD.

Also, how the **** does a poor home life mean you can instantly disregard the rules? Rules are there for everyone.
    i know very few people that did it for a laugh, because they thought they were cool.
    the majority have something going on, and dont forget iv been there AND iv worked with them.

for a start if you have no rules at home, or are allowed to get away with stuff, then thats how you run your life by ignoring rules. iv seen it from a youth work perspective.

also if theres stuff going on in your head, then a few rules mean nothing to you.

but again i really cba arguing with about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hitler was a pretty well educatated guy. Obviously that is an extreme example but I think you get the point now?
    :lolwut: No he wasn't. He failed most of his exams at school, mooched around Vienna for a while, failed to get into art school and then joined the bavarian army.

Mein Kampf is written in extremely poor German grammar-wise, too.

ReputationRep:
    Put them in a class with a better teacher.
    I find teachers/lecturers play a big part on the students behaviour too.
    They can't be too nice or else the students will take advantage of them and eventually they won't have control over them. Too strict and students will start to hate the lessons and the teacher.

I know in my highschool, we were put in different classes depending on our grades and the ones in the bottom classes usually get the teachers who can explain the subject better and has more patience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    :
    Mein Kampf is written in extremely poor German grammar-wise, too.

You've read mein Kampf? ooookay then :s
    (Original post by ella37)
    Put them in a class with a better teacher.
    I find teachers/lecturers play a big part on the students behaviour too.
    I know in my highschool, we were put in different classes depending on our grades and the ones in the bottom classes usually get the teachers who can explain the subject better and has more patience.
    This is a really good idea, I just wish more schools would have this idea. As it is most schools give the best teachers to top sets and the poorer ability (and often, but not always, the most disruptive) classes to the poorer teachers. This starts way back in primary school where it is the norm for the Teaching Assistant to work with a low ability group while the teacher is with the rest of the class. The class teacher should always make the effort to work directly with pupils who are struggling even if it is only once a week, every few lessons or something. It gives the pupils confidence as well as them being taught by the most qualified and well trained person.

ReputationRep:
    bring back the cane - well sort of. some people who dont want to learn need carrot and stick treatment, if they dont want to learn, and dont repont to incentives, its time to make them learn. no responsible society should leave people to fail by the side of the road. if all else has failed its time to instill fear in them to learn and bring out the stick.

ReputationRep:
    You've read mein Kampf? ooookay then :
    Yes. And?

It was a really poor example, Hitler wasn't that well educated at all. Goebbels on the other hand....

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.