Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Singh993)
    ignore them ? ...
    You sure it's that easy?

ReputationRep:
    If it's that much of a problem.....equip teachers with tranquilizers and sedatives.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that by 2013 education through to 17 years of age will be compulsory? and by 2015 it will be compulsory up to 18 years?
    Will this make the problem worse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    You support staff people (not just you) have to get out of your fantasy world where everything is free. Support staff, taylored education, etc. costs money! Too much for someone who will just end up in prison or on benefits.
    Support staff people?! These kids end up like that ecause they have no role models or ambition, something that support staff can give, no it's not free but just think of it as an investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Is it true that by 2013 education through to 17 years of age will be compulsory? and by 2015 it will be compulsory up to 18 years?
    It's true. Yeah it probably will make it worse.
    But there will be vocational routes they can take as opposed to A-levels.

Thats why I enjoyed A-level so much, because people were there because they wanted to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dom99)
    Absolutely. The disruptive students are only there because they have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You sure it's that easy?
    yes, it really is. Unless, ofc, you're a complete moron who has to get involved with
    what the individuals in question are getting up to each lesson

I've put up with plenty of disruptive manz in the state schools i went to and did fine

Comes down to who you are, I should think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara_Ward)
    Support staff people?! These kids end up like that ecause they have no role models or ambition, something that support staff can give, no it's not free but just think of it as an investment.
    An investment! Firstly, the government has no money. Secondly, for an investment to work, there needs to be a return. These disruptive pupils will end up in prison, on benefits or contributing so little to the economy in taxes that it is by no means worth it. If you put your idea to the dragons, you would be laughed out of the den.

ReputationRep:
    yes, it really is. Unless, ofc, you're a complete moron who has to get involved with

I've put up with plenty of disruptive manz in the state schools i went to and did fine

It's not whether you can ignore them, it's whether a teacher can ignore several of them. Have you ever tried to teach? Well, its very hard if you have people talking over you. If a pupil ignores them, they still won't learn because instead of teaching, the teacher is dealing with the miscreants.

ReputationRep:
    We should not force people to go to school. If students do not like school then it should be their choice not to go. This policy would reduce the amount of disruptive students and serve the interests of society and of the individual.

Oh sorry, took your question in a different way.

Of course it's possible to do well with a class of disruptive kids, although harder to.

ReputationRep:
    That's a hard question, but my first thought would be that the students should be taken out of lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Trust me, that's not how it works. You assume only one misbehaves. Usually there's a group who are misbehaving. You're saying to chuck out the lot of them?
    In my economics there are 3 guys who talk constantly, throw stuff and just generally piss about all lesson. They sit at opposite ends of the classroom from each other and still cause havoc. If you removed those three, not only would it remove the source of the disruption but it would also send a message to everyone else.

(Original post by Kareir)
    This happens in my school, minus the force, obviously. Of course, it ends up wasting lots of time as the person in question nearly shouts that they shouldn't be made leave.. They always do eventually though. And then get a detention

To be quite honest, this only continued up to our GCSE-equivalent (umm.. I'm not sure.. Third year of secondary, so like.. year 9? ). Once you get to the last two years, people generally realise they need to learn, and so shut up. But occasionally there's one or two people who just don't get it yet, and so generally the teacher will say something like 'if you don't want to be here, you can go. You wont get a detention or anything like that, but just leave if you're going to distract others'. Works quite well, to be honest.

_Kar.
    I'm in my second year of college and.. People still don't shut up. Tutors say things like 'leave if you want' but they know that no real action will take place so they just sit there and still mess about. It doesn't matter what the teacher threatens to do now because they all know that it's just empty words.

(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    No not at all. But I really doubt anyone's education is severely compromised by a few people in class having a chat. Of course the teacher/lecturer should be able to remove them from the class, but from the college? That's way too harsh. I'm never disrupted by a relaxed, chatty environment-it softens the atmosphere, and can be calming. People need to learn that in the real word, we can't just get rid of what we don't agree with, or what we don't like, people will always be a pain in the arse...
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    Wherever you go, you are going to get people that mess around. Learn to deal with it.
    It really does cause disruption - rarely is it 'just a few people having a chat'.. a few people start talking, so do other people, it gradually becomes louder - Why talk when the teachers' trying to explain something? Its ridiculous. You might as well not bother coming to class if you're just going to chat whenever the person trying to teach you is trying to talk about the subject. Its downright disrespectful to everyone in the class and the teacher. If someone's making it impossible for me to hear a lecture, then it's not something I can just 'deal with'.. I'm supposed to be going to college to learn. Piss about on buses or in the street, just don't bother coming to class if you're going to sit there and consistently talk over the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    A good idea, but schools will not do this as they spend funding right up to what they get for the last pupil.

What they need to do is stream them, right from Year 8 (people like this never change) into their own form and should be taught seperately in every subject. They should get all of the rubbish teachers, freeing up the good ones for those who want to learn.
    Idiot. Disruptive people can change, don't be so ignorant. Also, supplying these 'disruptive' kids witha sub-standard education will do **** all to help them/society, the root of their problem should be identified then worked on, not all disruptive students can be branded as one.

I think many students act out as academia (and traditional school in general ) Is not for them, they know this and so do the teachers. Thus when being forced to 30 hours a week of education will undoubtedly cause them to act out and become disruptive.
    Whilst some people are just completely bored by the whole experience,they find the work easy and their minds wander and they end up distracting them selves and others.

Personally I think the best way to go about this would be to adopt the german stance on education. At an earlier age those with academic ability and want are identified and put in to a different secondary school (gymnasium if I remember correctly) whilst those who are not as academically gifted are looked at and other skills/future prospects are identified allowing them to learn and work at a topic they are probably more interested in and will benefit them alot more in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Set people properly. I found it far easier to learn at GCSE when I was in a class with people of my own ability than in my mixed ability year 7/8/9 class. If anything, I was more disruptive then because I was being held back because we could only go as fast as the stupid (and also disruptive) kids.
    EDIT: Grammar schools are a good idea. We need more.

ReputationRep:
    A mild electric shock collar. Then, every time they open their mouth without permission BAM, they think better of it. Could be difficult to implement though...

ReputationRep:
    Q. What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons?

A. POW!
    lol only jokin

ReputationRep:
    I think the easiest and most effective way is to just send the pupil out of the class...simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisJ!)
    A mild electric shock collar. Then, every time they open their mouth without permission BAM, they think better of it. Could be difficult to implement though...
    ..i luuuuuuuuuuurrrv it! Maybe a wee bit psychotic though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PCS)
    Idiot. Disruptive people can change, don't be so ignorant. Also, supplying these 'disruptive' kids witha sub-standard education will do **** all to help them/society, the root of their problem should be identified then worked on, not all disruptive students can be branded as one.

I think many students act out as academia (and traditional school in general ) Is not for them, they know this and so do the teachers. Thus when being forced to 30 hours a week of education will undoubtedly cause them to act out and become disruptive.
    Whilst some people are just completely bored by the whole experience,they find the work easy and their minds wander and they end up distracting them selves and others.

Personally I think the best way to go about this would be to adopt the german stance on education. At an earlier age those with academic ability and want are identified and put in to a different secondary school (gymnasium if I remember correctly) whilst those who are not as academically gifted are looked at and other skills/future prospects are identified allowing them to learn and work at a topic they are probably more interested in and will benefit them alot more in the future.
    As a grammar school pupil, I agree with your last comment, as despite my stance, I have it a lot better than a comprehensive student who wants to learn.

However, I disagree with everything else you've said. I find the work easy, but it doesn't mean I ruin it for those who are struggling but want to learn by talking. Also, disruptive kids don't change. If I'd given a list of those I found disruptive in year 7, it would be the same as the one I'd give now in year 11. Lastly, why should kids who are rude and don't listen deserve the good teachers? The British education system is too focussed on making **** people average rather than letting the intelligent excel. This is why we are falling behind in the world in terms of education.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.