Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think should be done about disruptive students in lessons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I've had a thought. As I think this is one idea that America actually got right with regards to education. What if you had schools run by the military where you would send disruptive and unruly students. You kill two birds with one stone (so to speak). The disruptive students are no longer interfering in others learning, and the military is more likely to know how to instil discipline than regular teachers. Higher discipline means they are more likely to behave and actually learn something.

Everybody wins.
    Bad behavior does not magically appear and thus magically dissapear. There are usually other reasons that will not magically dissapear when being sent to military schools(for example, kids with ADHD or Autism, Military school is unlikely to help them)...It may help some children of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile.
    Negged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    And what about parents who can't afford to pay for their childrens education?
    They can get a loan. How do university students who can't afford to pay tuition fees upfront get an education?

Also, there's various private school students who don't care that their parents paying for their education. I know one person who constantly messed around in class and bunked off school all the time. Paying for education does not eliminate bad behavior. Especially when some children may not understand the financial implications.
    The school can get rid of any pupil it wants. If I were a parent of another child at this school I'd ask why this disruptive pupil was still at the school.

Although yes i understand what angle you're coming from, 'If people directly pay for education, they'll appriciate it more'...but it's not always going to be the case at all. You could use the same angle with the NHS and other systems.
    Lets do just that.

Also, what will kids do who's parents can't afford education?
    See my first point.

And furthermore, what about those who DONT want to be in school(and want to work or do something else) but their parents force them, and pay for their education? You're likely to get behavior problems there too.
    I think the parents would have something to say to their little darling if this was the case. Also there would be schools to fulfil every niche since it will become a free market not a state monopoly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning
    I was distruptive, very in fact. Yet I passed all my GCSEs with A's and mostly B's....

FAIL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BambieWambie)
    Yep. Counselling could help a lot with their behavior and self esteem. Grow a backbone. All bad behaviour has a reason behind it. Giving them support and helping them develop their confidance is better than throwing them out.
    I'm not paying to give some cretin time off school so he can waste some teaching assistant's time by 'developing his confidence'. He needs to grow a backbone and sit in class and do some work and stop being so f****** lazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    They can get a loan. How do university students who can't afford to pay tuition fees upfront get an education?

The school can get rid of any pupil it wants. If I were a parent of another child at this school I'd ask why this disruptive pupil was still at the school.

Lets do just that.

See my first point.

I think the parents would have something to say to their little darling if this was the case. Also there would be schools to fulfil every niche since it will become a free market not a state monopoly.
    Can you imagine the amount of debt every person would have when they were just 18 if everyone had to get loans? Who's going to want to go to University after they already have a mountain of debt?

At least with University you can choose whether to be in debt, or do something else of interest.

Your proposal would mean children would effectively have to PAY just to have the choice later in life.

Depends how much the school is being paid or if a parent is bribing the school the keep the kid.

If the NHS went private, it'd be ****. Contray to what many people believe about America's health system, speaking to very upper class Americans(at University) they told me if they were diagnosed with something serious they would use the NHS(since as students in the UK they can use for free). NOT their American health services which apparently has exessive waiting times etc.

Also I was told people go bankrupt over medical bills and have to sell their house. If one's diagnosed with something like cancer, how do they pay their health insurance and medical bills if they can no longer work? They have to worry about all of that crap whilst coming to terms with the actual conditions!

Many people of middle class, having worked themselves up their whole lives, can find everything they worked for ruined. I'm proud no-one in the UK has to worry about that because of the NHS.

So you'd consequently be forcing badly behaving kids who don't want to be in school, in to schools.
    What's the benefit of that over the current system?

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what your opinions are on this issue, because I'm sure most of us have experienced students who plain and simple aren't interested in learning and so stop everyone else from learning. I mean personally I think if someone doesnt want to learn and has demonstrated this fact they should be taken out of education as they're a detriment to people who want to learn. Although I do see that there may be some issues with this.

Anyway I was wondering what other students opinions were.
    I don't think that removing them from education is the issue. Of course, this has to be the final solution, but there must be measures taken first, such as calling parents, detentions etc....

Simple expulsion will just give us loads of truants...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)
    I'm not paying to give some cretin time off school so he can waste some teaching assistant's time by 'developing his confidence'. He needs to grow a backbone and sit in class and do some work and stop being so f****** lazy.
    Not all students who are distruptive in school are doing it because they are lazy. Why be disruptive because you're lazy? It's a lot of effort.

Most can be disruptive because they are bored - or like the attention they get from their peers.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing should be done! You have to learn to deal with people, to not expect everything to be perfect and sterile.
    What an utterly inane opinion. So, you can have children who are adversely affecting others' learning, but, hey, just leave them to it...

What kind of message does that send?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    Expulsion - no need to educate people who don't want to be, its a waste of time and is detrimental to others learning
    Yeah, but kids can change...trying to help them outside of the classroom must be the first port of call....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Bad behavior does not magically appear and thus magically dissapear. There are usually other reasons that will not magically dissapear when being sent to military schools(for example, kids with ADHD or Autism, Military school is unlikely to help them)...It may help some children of course.
    If issues are properly identified students would go to the correct school that would suit their needs. Most teachers SHOULD be able to spot ADHD and Autism etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    Yeah, but kids can change...trying to help them outside of the classroom must be the first port of call....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkinFadeHaircut)
    I was distruptive, very in fact. Yet I passed all my GCSEs with A's and mostly B's....

FAIL
    Fine you may have done well, but how on earth is it fair that you may have stopped others doing well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d4nny)

I dont think you read my post properly. I think you're an angry and resentful person. I dont know your background or why you have this attitude. I'll be happy if my taxes went into your counselling.

ReputationRep:
    Fine you may have done well, but how on earth is it fair that you may have stopped others doing well?
    TBH, everyone ins our class distrupts, put 30 boys in one class-room with a female teacher who can't make lessons fun, then **** is going down lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Wait a second, just because you do not understand, it does NOT give you the right to mess about.

You shut up and ask for help.

Why the **** should a teacher help someone who misbehaves?
    They weren't saying it was therefore a RIGHT to misbehave if you don't understand. They were just offering not understanding as the CAUSATION of such behaviour. As it is, I think you're right-but when you're in school on a crappy Monday morning, being taught a subject you hate by a teacher you find boring, and your friends are sitting next to you, you don't think to "shut up and ask for help"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    What an utterly inane opinion. So, you can have children who are adversely affecting others' learning, but, hey, just leave them to it...

What kind of message does that send?
    No. I know that it's not right to chuck kids out of uni for chatting, that's ridiculous. And chatting is the only 'disruptive' form of behaviour you're likely to get at uni. (obviously you get some cases which say otherwise). Unis do enough to stop bad behaviour, in my opinion. If you can't work with a couple of people behind you chatting about the weekend then you're mentality is in need of a dire rude awakening! Do you think that when you enter the real world you will get on with everyone, everyone will be perfectly quiet, for no one to not work to the standards which you deem appropriate? A lot of you lot come from very good schools and you've had everything your way, yet you seem to think that because you don't agree with something you need to get rid of it? Intolerant! My sixth form is full of chatty kids, constantly joking around with teachers and pupils. A lot of them still come out with As and Bs, they'd care, they obviously just don't have to work as hard and intensly as you.

ReputationRep:
    Bring back the cane!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BambieWambie)
    I dont think you read my post properly. I think you're an angry and resentful person. I dont know your background or why you have this attitude. I'll be happy if my taxes went into your counselling.
    Nobody who is disruptive therefore needs counselling. They just need to stop being lazy, but some work in and change there s*** attitude.

ReputationRep:
    No. I know that it's not right to chuck kids out of uni for chatting, that's ridiculous. And chatting is the only 'disruptive' form of behaviour you're likely to get at uni. (obviously you get some cases which say otherwise). Unis do enough to stop bad behaviour, in my opinion. If you can't work with a couple of people behind you chatting about the weekend then you're mentality is in need of a dire rude awakening! Do you think that when you enter the real world you will get on with everyone, everyone will be perfectly quiet, for no one to not work to the standards which you deem appropriate? A lot of you lot come from very good schools and you've had everything your way, yet you seem to think that because you don't agree with something you need to get rid of it? Intolerant! My sixth form is full of chatty kids, constantly joking around with teachers and pupils. A lot of them still come out with As and Bs, they'd care, they obviously just don't have to work as hard and intensly as you.
    We were talking about university? I was talking about school. At uni, obviously your ability to do anything is restricted because you're dealing with adults. As it is, I don't think that, if you're at uni, you should be chatting in lectures-you're in a privileged position if you're at university.

It's not a case of whether you come from a good school, that's an extremely myopic viewpoint. I go to a very good school, and people are still disruptive-it's not a case of "having everything my way".

Your final point is really irritating. I, as a matter of face, DO have to work intensely to succeed. I want A*s this year, in the same way that I wanted A*s at GCSE and A's at AS. If people in my class want to piss about, do it at the club on a Friday or Saturday night, do it at break, or get the hell out of school-you don't need to be there for sixth form.

I'm not saying you have to chuck kids out of school for chatting, don't pretend like I was suggesting that. But if there are children in school who persistently make it difficult for teachers to teach, and others to learn who need to focus to succeed, then they shouldn't be there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.