Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Shock, horror, maybe I should have applied earlier :

Thank you for your interest in the J.P. Morgan Schools Programme. The Programme is currently fully booked, however, you are on a waitlist and should a place become available, we will contact you. Kind Regards, J.P. Morgan Graduate Recruitment

ReputationRep:
    Got the waitlist email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    Wait, so was there anyone who got an out - right rejection email? or did Everyone get the waiting email?
    this is what i want to know....

If you got rejected do you think they would even let you know? as I'm still waiting and really eager to get onto this programme for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misterb123)
    this is what i want to know....

If you got rejected do you think they would even let you know? as I'm still waiting and really eager to get onto this programme for some reason
    tbh, given the amount of people on here alone that have received "waiting" emails - I think it is just a polite rejection..... Not sure why you haven't heard yet tho? maybe no news is good news.

ReputationRep:
    thats what im hoping for at the moment ...:crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    Ah so it seems that the waiting list email was sent en masse. Good luck, all.

ReputationRep:
    if there are so many of us on the waiting list, it seems that it might be unlikely that more than one or two of us get moved onto the programme. Only if someone can't attend will we replace them, soI'm going to take it as a no

ReputationRep:
    I just got accepted for the 17th/18th one

Edit: And I don't think it's down to academics because I don't do either Economics or Further Maths currently and got 4 A*s at GCSE which I'm sure is less than some of the people in this thread who got put on the waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    Just got accepted as well!

Agree with Stephen that academics must've played a very small part in the selection process as I'm sure mine suck compared to the others in this thread. I also have no work experience so it must've been down to the cover letter almost exclusively.

ReputationRep:
    Also just got accepted for 17/18th

Agree its down to the cover letter as my academics are mediocre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    Just got accepted as well!

Agree with Stephen that academics must've played a very small part in the selection process as I'm sure mine suck compared to the others in this thread. I also have no work experience so it must've been down to the cover letter almost exclusively.
    Yeah, I forgot to say but I have no work experience also so it must have been the cover letter.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the 10/11. I also received an email this morning asking for me to confirm my attendance.

ReputationRep:
    So I had the academics, work experience and some extra-curricular shindigs, but it looks like my cover letter let me down. I only spent 45 mins on it too :sigh: I've learnt something for the future I suppose

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get in, I got the same waiting list email as everyone else

ReputationRep:
    ********************* i literally just got the waiting list email ¬¬ - looks like im going to a level results day this year lol

ReputationRep:
    I think this programme is for more disadvantaged people, like those people who didn't get mostly A*s and As or have not had much work experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purehakkai)
    I think this programme is for more disadvantaged people, like those people who didn't get mostly A*s and As or have not had much work experience
    Doubt it mate. I think JPM recognise that most people haven't had the opportunity to get work experience (without contacts) and so offered the places to people who they felt most wanted it (through the cover letter).

And when I say I have poor academics, I did get AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA, just my GCSEs are poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purehakkai)
    (Original post by Competencies)
    Doubt it mate. I think JPM recognise that most people haven't had the opportunity to get work experience (without contacts) and so offered the places to people who they felt most wanted it (through the cover letter).

And when I say I have poor academics, I did get AAAA at AS and predicted A*AA, just my GCSEs are poor.
    It would be interesting to see where most people who got onto this are from. I heard that last year's group were mostly from London private schools, so I'm not so sure about the "disadvantaged people" thing. In fact, if people on this site can be trusted, a few years ago this programme wasn't even advertised - it was set up by some parents who had children at Eton/Harrow and the like, and it was restricted to these public schools.

My gut feeling from what I've heard is that the cover letter played the biggest part. At risk of sounding like an arrogant ****, in my opinion I have very good academics, and my work experience and EC's aren't really lacking. I didn't spend enough time writing and planning my CL, and it turns out that this was far more important than I expected. Fair enough I suppose, I'm guessing they wanted people who really put across their interest in the CL.

Edit: Whoever negged me is clearly an absolute LAD who deserves a medal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    It would be interesting to see where most people who got onto this are from. I heard that last year's group were mostly from London private schools, so I'm not so sure about the "disadvantaged people" thing. In fact, if people on this site can be trusted, a few years ago this programme wasn't even advertised - it was set up by some parents who had children at Eton/Harrow and the like, and it was restricted to these public schools.

My gut feeling from what I've heard is that the cover letter played the biggest part. At risk of sounding like an arrogant ****, in my opinion I have very good academics, and my work experience and EC's aren't lacking at all. I didn't spend enough time writing and planning my CL, and it turns out that this was far more important than I expected. Fair enough I suppose, I'm guessing they wanted people who really put across their interest in the CL.
    We may be (or may be not) slightly over-emphasising the importance of cover letters, as we can not know for sure. Comparing the strengths of cover letters is too subjective. Anyway, note that in the original website it only mentioned to include CV and a short para in CV. The cover letter was not mentioned.

Just my thoughts anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    We may be (or may be not) slightly over-emphasising the importance of cover letters, as we can not know for sure. Comparing the strengths of cover letters is too subjective. Anyway, note that in the original website it only mentioned to include CV and a short para in CV. The cover letter was not mentioned.

Just my thoughts anyway.
    The admissions lot at JPM can compare CL's with all the prejudice and subjectivity they want lol! The CL was included in the application process though...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.