Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black and Yellow)
    I can see why people would not want to share EC's but Academics?

J.P Morgan decide not you guys, besides the criteria for this program is based on your school and location. Look up a Facebook event and the type of schools people in the past went to. Few people from 'Tiffin Girls' School'. 1. London School 2. Private.They might give 'outsiders' some places but they favour certain students, so do not feel worse than everyone else if you don't get a place. At university I'm guessing it becomes more what university you go to for the majority.
    I'm guessing that's the same with most IBs. :rolleyes:
    I'm hoping they spare a few places, for the people without contacts..
    That being said, I don't stand much of a chance if A2s from TSR have applied.

ReputationRep:
    When do we find out if we got in btw?

ReputationRep:
    bump

Also why is everyone scared of posting grades? I understand why you wouldn't post ECs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Okay. I'll man up and post my grades. Everyone else better follow suit ya get me?

GCSE: 10A*'s, 1A + A in Add Maths
    AS: A's in Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Geography
    A2: Predicted A*'s in Maths, Economics and Geography
    Pretty similar to above, 1A in GCSEs, rest A*s and A in Add Maths. Currently doing same 5 AS levels as above but replace geo with physics; predicted As.

Any notable ECs/ work experience anyone? I will mention a few if others are inclined...

If our school name matters, then I guess our grades/Ecs would be largely useless unless there is a large quota for non-london, non-independent schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Pretty similar to above, 1A in GCSEs, rest A*s and A in Add Maths. Currently doing same 5 AS levels as above but replace geo with physics; predicted As.

Any notable ECs/ work experience anyone? I will mention a few if others are inclined...

If our school name matters, then I guess our grades/Ecs would be largely useless unless there is a large quota for non-london, non-independent schools.
    You haven't said how many A*'s you got at GCSE :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    You haven't said how many A*'s you got at GCSE :holmes:
    Sizing up the competition, eh? It was 11(.5) A*s; I doubt GCSE/ a-level academics will make any difference.

So is it true that only/ mostly london public-school students are picked?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I highly doubt that number of GCSEs makes a large difference. EC's/university/work experience will probably be scrutinised the most.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I doubt they'll care much about grades and stuff.

I think the key lies in the 300-word essay all the way. But that's just me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    Meh, I doubt they'll care much about grades and stuff.

I think the key lies in the 300-word essay all the way. But that's just me.
    Really? There's not much you can say on there apart from stating the areas that interest you and articulating why you want to go into them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Really? There's not much you can say on there apart from stating the areas that interest you and articulating why you want to go into them.
    I think they're looking for people who can go beyond the typical "I want to go into banking/I'm interested in banking because... " or "The area/department I like the most is...". That's just my opinion.

Believe me, the essay may not seem important but I definitely think it is. After all, they're not looking for the smartest. They're looking for those who can make the most out of the experience, the most passionate, etc. And grades in no way reflect that. 300 words may not seem many, but it's enough for them to have a general picture.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    I think they're looking for people who can go beyond the typical "I want to go into banking/I'm interested in banking because... " or "The area/department I like the most is...". That's just my opinion.

Believe me, the essay may not seem important but I definitely think it is. After all, they're not looking for the smartest. They're looking for those who can make the most out of the experience, the most passionate, etc. And grades in no way reflect that. 300 words may not seem many, but it's enough for them to have a general picture.
    Hmmm...you make a good point.

Funnily enough, I've now found out that my cover letter has a missing word in it. :lol:
    Good thing I applied as a joke...

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Hmmm...you make a good point.

Funnily enough, I've now found out that my cover letter has a missing word in it. :lol:
    Good thing I applied as a joke...

:awesome:
    What's the punchline?

ReputationRep:
    In to watch, I applied on the deadline day. Academics are in my sig / profile info for those interested. I'm hoping that name dropping my university in my CV will help because my ECs / Work experience / cover letter were nothing special.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    What's the punchline?
    The fact that I don't particularly care if I get in or not... :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    In to watch, I applied on the deadline day. Academics are in my sig / profile info for those interested. I'm hoping that name dropping my university in my CV will help because my ECs / Work experience / cover letter were nothing special.
    You gotta love the old name dropping.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs are nothing special, But I go to a top public school and my Personal statement was pretty decent........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    My GCSEs are nothing special, But I go to a top public school and my Personal statement was pretty decent........
    You seem to suggest that going to a 'top public school' is an advantage but surely it should be a disadvantage if you're GCSEs were 'nothing special' considering the quality of education you must get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    You seem to suggest that going to a 'top public school' is an advantage but surely it should be a disadvantage if you're GCSEs were 'nothing special' considering the quality of education you must get.
    I heard that for this event it is an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityTrader)
    1) Is that top public school in London?
    2) Aren't those mediocre GCSE's gonna look extra bad seeing as you're receiving a "top public school" education?
    3) It's not a personal statement, it's a cover letter. And it's pretty subjective how good a CL is, just like a PS
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1) Is that top public school in London?
    2) Aren't those mediocre GCSE's gonna look extra bad seeing as you're receiving a "top public school" education?
    3) It's not a personal statement, it's a cover letter. And it's pretty subjective how good a CL is, just like a PS
    :lol:

Pwned.

But why would it matter if the school was in London? :confused:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.