Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so i am studying for 5 highers (english philosophy chem, human bio and music) i currently have about 6 weeks before the exams start. i have no problem with english, got an A at 74% in the prelim. however philosphy i know nothing and human bio and chem i am slipping at many bits due to laziness/ illness/ i am trying to attain 5 As in the exam, how should i go about revising? im trying to create a study plan but cant, ill revise 3/4 hours a day every day and 6 ish on study leave but im the kind of person that needs an organised plan ? cheers ?

ReputationRep:
    Hiyah

There are zillions of websites with lots of advice - but I will keep it simple.

1) Reward yourself (e.g 20 mins revision = small bar choc, walk outside etc)

2) Have a notebook for each subject, bin the folder keep all your notes in an A4 notebook. The process of transfering accross will help you decide what is important. Also the night before you can flick though - and it should calm you down (worked for me).

3) Your examiner wants a good 2 sided argument not an 8 sided one. Learn key points really well rather than learning all of it.

4) Read, plan, write. Sound obvious, spend some time plannning essays. To show analysis use "therefore" and "however" to link ideas.

5) Reading time is just as good as notetakeing, take frequent breaks to let your mind file all the stuff away. Imagine your brain as a busy office manager dealing with all this"input". Allow them time to have a coffee and then get back to work.

6) Make diagrams and pin them on your wall. Sit in your room and gaze at them and ponder. This is OK too and works really well. In an exam you may even be able to picture your diagram which will kick start your thoughts.

7) Get a mate over to "discuss" try not to get off topic, maybe record what you say (if you can keep a straight face). Listen back to it later and be critical of it- try and learn from the experience.

8)Put a text book in your loo. You will pick it up and you may even read some.

9) Get hold of past papers, these are GOLD to you now. Look at the questions, then look at the answers, its just a row of bullets, look how little the examiner requires - they just want it in a sensible order in an essay that is good to read.

10) Your examiner wants an answer that answers the question. ATQ (answer the question). Give them what they want, don't try an remember a whole text book, be great at discussions, job done.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

any ideas of creating a schedule?

ReputationRep:
    English, Philosophy, Chemistry, Human Biology and Music. The important thing is to develop a routine so you get used to it, and eventually do it without thinking.

I plan on doing this during the easter holidays: wake up at 6am and start revising at 7am, break for lunch at 12pm and start again at 1pm, break at 5pm and start at 6pm, start again and finish for the day at 11pm.

Obviously, I'm not saying you have to do this; I'm doing this to ease my apprehension and attain all As. Of course, I recommend you take break every hour for about 10 minutes or so!

In order of revision: 20% Chemistry, 20% Human Biology, 30% Philosophy, 15% English and 15% Music.

For example,

Monday: 7am-12pm Philosophy / 1pm-5pm Chemistry / 6pm-11pm Human Biology

Tuesday: 7am-12pm Philosophy / 1pm-5pm English and Music / 6pm-11pm Chemistry

Wednesday: 7am-12pm Philosophy / 1pm-5pm Chemistry / 6pm-11pm Human Biology

Thusday: 7am-12pm Philosophy / 1pm-5pm English and Music / 6pm-11pm Human Biology

If those hours are too much, take away the 7am slot or the 6pm slot. As well, I'm not sure how difficult you're finding Music so I assumed it was easy. Even if you don't agree with the time allocated to each subject, the time periods should be a good foundation at which you should apply your revision to.

ReputationRep:
    The previous post's suggestion is insane and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    The previous post's suggestion is insane and unnecessary.
    Like I said:
    (Original post by Quick-use)

Obviously, I'm not saying you have to do this; I'm doing this to ease my apprehension.
    Indeed, it is over-the-top and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Like I said
    I realize you acknowledged it, I just figured it bore repeating, we don't want some poor little fourth or naive fifth year wetting themselves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    I realize you acknowledged it, I just figured it bore repeating, we don't want some poor little fourth or naive fifth year wetting themselves!
    Very nicely put!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.