Turn on thread page Beta

Tips for getting over jet-lag (first long haul flight, and it's to australia!!) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, given the amount of people on this forum who have travelled to asia/australia i assume there must be some pearls of wisdom for dealing with jet lag on here...

i want to hear them!

i've booked my flights to australia for september, the outward journey looks like this:

dep. heathrow 22.05 arr singapore 18.00 (worked that out to be a 12 hour flight and 8 hour time difference)
    then leave singapore 22.10 arr. cairns 08.20 (8 hour flight 2 hour time difference)

any advice for the best way to do it? ie. sleep through the first one or start adjusting to time difference on it by changing my watch and trying to stay awake?

any tips would be very much appreciated, i obviously want to start enjoying myself as soon as i get there!!! thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not that difficult. After a day or two, you get used to it. Seriously lol, its absolutely nothing to worry about!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I never had too much of an issue with it when going to and from Australia (because it's such a major difference your body seems to adjust faster than time differences of say 7 hours where it's more confusing)

Sleep will work itself out quite well once you're there, the thing to do is when on the planes, make sure you eat food at AUSTRALIAN times. If you get your food times sorted, rest of body should follow!

I'd suggest not sleeping the whole of the first flight (they normally have really good movies on flights to singapore so shouldn't be too tricky even if you have naps inbetween movies) and definitely trying to sleep a bit on second flight

Enjoy Australia :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't sleep on the planes and then basically slept through my first day in Australia. I never completely adjusted - I woke up at like 5 every day. But it meant that every day I woke up and went and sat in the the hot tub on the hotel roof and watched the sunrise over the Sydney Opera House - beautiful!

But if you want to adjust, I would suggest taking a load of red bull to keep you wake when you land in Australia until Australian bed time.

ReputationRep:
    Try and go to sleep at normal times/don't go to sleep in the middle of the day even if you are really tired. Otherwise you just prolong the jet lag. For me it only takes a day or two to adjust.

ReputationRep:
    Just have a good night sleep the day before and after the flight. Really, it's no biggie.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, you should fast for 16 hours before breakfast in the destination, which resets some of your body rhythms and helps you kick in to the new time zone. So don't eat or drink anything (except water) after the first 8 hours of the first flight. I've never tried this but they did it on a BBC sleep programme - they had twin guys take a long-haul flight, one fasted for 16 hours and the other didn't. The one who fasted performed better on some cognitive tasks a few hours after arrival.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, don't try to overthink it too much, it's not too bad as people tend to make out if they've never done it. I would advise you not to pressure yourself to sleep on the aeroplane....you could be one of those people, like myself, who just can't sleep on flights. You'll end up stressing out about not being able to sleep and then that'll be worse in the long run. Just see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    ahh what a good range of responses, they've all made me feel much better! i just don't want to get there and find out my body is not good with dealing with jetlag and mess up my first few days...think i'll drink lots of water and try to stay up for most of the first flight (shouldn't be too hard as i and my friend i'm going with will be very excited at that point) then sleep on the second! i'm glad for most people it's not as big a deal as i thought it was. and good idea about adjusting eating times!

cheers to everyone who has responded so far!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    When I went to New Zealand, I just didn't go to bed until New Zealand time said I should.

I slept REALLY well that night but was fine.

Different people respond differently.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Could just get some nytol incase

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.