Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by telephone)
    I don't think anyone has definite chances no matter who you are.
    Actually, if you had a decent personal statement; reference; and were equipped with a handful of A*s and As, you'd definitely get a place for most courses.

The majority don't interview, and you're simply overqualified.

Obviously I'm not saying you'll get into any uni for any course if you have awesome grades, but I think you must agree that you applied for Biochemistry at UCL and three 'lesser' universities with all A* and As, you'll get in unless there was a massive problem with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    I'm untalented in terms of music and sports, but I love drawing and am quite good at it, would that still count?
    If you don't have that many eca then yes i'd definitely mentioned it. For ucl eca are important so mention going to art club or anything like it if you do.
    It would be even better if you entered competitions and did well etc.

ReputationRep:
    more effort needed on extra curricular activities!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markh1000)
    Well people giving **** uniformed advice is far too common.

I hadn't noticed the date, but a month is hardly that long, and I wasn't the one who bumped the thread.
    Okay whatever, not many people from my sixth form get into medicine, but every one that has in like the last 4 years has got four or five full A levels, I was only speaking from MY experience, which is the only experience i can really speak from, just as your opinion is based on your experience, which i cant speak for, so really, neither of our points is any more valid then the others, unless your a GP or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hockeyjoe)
    Okay whatever, not many people from my sixth form get into medicine, but every one that has in like the last 4 years has got four or five full A levels, I was only speaking from MY experience, which is the only experience i can really speak from, just as your opinion is based on your experience, which i cant speak for, so really, neither of our points is any more valid then the others, unless your a GP or something?
    No. Markh1000 gave what is actually true. You just gave unintentional, invalid information. And a GP is far less likely to know about current medical admissions than a good (in terms of actually researching their unis) med school applicant seeing as it's always changing and doesn't really concern them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnicare)
    No. Markh1000 gave what is actually true. You just gave unintentional, invalid information. And a GP is far less likely to know about current medical admissions than a good (in terms of actually researching their unis) med school applicant seeing as it's always changing and doesn't really concern them.
    Well quite a lot of GP's will work in med admissions. There aren't nearly enough uni staff to do it and hospital clinicians are usually too busy. Primary Care trusts often get GPs poached to sit on admissions teams.

Applicants and students know nothing beyond what is available publicly on the internet and in prospectuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    Actually, if you had a decent personal statement; reference; and were equipped with a handful of A*s and As, you'd definitely get a place for most courses.

The majority don't interview, and you're simply overqualified.

Obviously I'm not saying you'll get into any uni for any course if you have awesome grades, but I think you must agree that you applied for Biochemistry at UCL and three 'lesser' universities with all A* and As, you'll get in unless there was a massive problem with your application.
    Oh sorry I though you were talking about solely medicine, where nearly all universities say AAA is considered the same as A*A*A*. My mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeanos)
    Its so annoying when people apply for biochem at unis incase they don't get into med when they know they aren't going to do biomed if they get four rejections, just takes up peoples places who actually want to do the biochem/med.
    Many people applying for medicine don't apply for a fifth, many do. It is not true that nobody takes up their fifth choice.

Bottom line - there are five choices, and people can apply for whatever they like.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.