Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the past few months, i have felt sad constantly, and i'm always tired! I sleep whenever i can because when i'm sleeping i don't feel sad.

It got better a month or so ago when i was seeing someone, but now we've ended and i'm back to square one! I spend most of my time in my room when i can because i want to be on my own, and i'm always reflecting on memories and feeling sad about the past.

The thing is, i'm not sure if i'm depressed or not, but i don't want to go to my GP about it because i feel like he will just think i'm making a fuss over nothing. i just don't want to feel like this anymore any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you could do is go to your GP, who'd be able to diagnose you and rule out any physical illness which might be causing your symptoms, and possibly refer you to a therapist of give you antidepressants. But if you really don't want to do that, you could see if anywhere, such as your uni or college, offers free counselling. Or you could try moodgym, it's an online CBT program. Also take a look at your diet and lifestyle - you may not realise, but what you eat and how much exercise you do can make a big difference to how you feel.

(Original post by superwolf)
    The best thing you could do is go to your GP, who'd be able to diagnose you and rule out any physical illness which might be causing your symptoms, and possibly refer you to a therapist of give you antidepressants. But if you really don't want to do that, you could see if anywhere, such as your uni or college, offers free counselling. Or you could try moodgym, it's an online CBT program. Also take a look at your diet and lifestyle - you may not realise, but what you eat and how much exercise you do can make a big difference to how you feel.

Thank you for the reply i did go to a local nurse, i didn't mention the sadness aspect but told her about my sleeping patterns and she has taken some blood tests to test for anaemia, although nothing has shown. I do want to see my GP but he's not very...sympathetic i feel :/. I go to the gym a couple of times a week to try and keep fit, but as for eating, i haven't been eating normally at all lately...i never feel hungry like i used to, so i tend to eat snacks, but never proper meals.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to see your GP you can always see another doctor at the same practice. I did this for depression and I got on with her so well that I ended up changing her to my GP. Don't be embarrassed, loads of people go to the doctors for depression, and it would be better to get things sorted out now before it gets worse.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah get yourself off to a GP for a diagnosis - don't let it run on for years and years before you start seeking help (like I did)

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot better to get help now than let things carry on. Even if it turns out to not be depression, your GP will be able to help you and put your mind at ease. I've seen a couple of people go through awful depression related things because they didn't get help from the onset but they're getting better with help now, so speak up. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for the reply i did go to a local nurse, i didn't mention the sadness aspect but told her about my sleeping patterns and she has taken some blood tests to test for anaemia, although nothing has shown. I do want to see my GP but he's not very...sympathetic i feel :/. I go to the gym a couple of times a week to try and keep fit, but as for eating, i haven't been eating normally at all lately...i never feel hungry like i used to, so i tend to eat snacks, but never proper meals.
    You should still see a doctor and get more tests, you could have a thyroid problem or something else. Like Pointeshoes says, you can always ask to see a different doctor. Try and eat better, I know it's hard when you're never hungry, but it's important, especially if you're going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    yeah dont go to your gp. they'll do nothing.

you need to get out of your room.and startclubbing woooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For the past few months, i have felt sad constantly, and i'm always tired! I sleep whenever i can because when i'm sleeping i don't feel sad.

It got better a month or so ago when i was seeing someone, but now we've ended and i'm back to square one! I spend most of my time in my room when i can because i want to be on my own, and i'm always reflecting on memories and feeling sad about the past.

The thing is, i'm not sure if i'm depressed or not, but i don't want to go to my GP about it because i feel like he will just think i'm making a fuss over nothing. i just don't want to feel like this anymore any help would be appreciated.
    I felt exactly the same around a year or 2 ago went to my GP and after having told her about some very irrational things i had done she'd clarified i wasn't depressed. but didnt tell me what it was so i was still stuck with no diagnoses for what i was feeling now looking back and having no negative thoughts or rash actions I think it was down to teenage hormones because im completely over it now but i had a hard time of it from 13 up to 16. go to your GP. it definitely helped me, I stopped trying to act towards the stereotype of what depression is. hope this helps and makes you less worried

ReputationRep:
    you dont have to go to the gp depends on how you are, you just have to find something you like doing and enjoy it, go out for walks enjoy the fresh air well i say fresh but you know what i mean lol enjoy the kl summer thats coming and get your mind off of things

ReputationRep:
    I went through a horrible few months of depression in my last year at school. Along with all the pressure of exams, two very close family members of mine died within a month of each other which made things worse. I was constantly upset and felt like none of my friends understood what i felt and was on the recieveing end of people bullying me about my weight. I spent a lot of time in my room not wanting to speak to anyone about it. My mum wasvery supportive about it all and went to the GP who offered me anti-depressents but due to all my exams coming up i opted against them due to the side-effects. It is a horrible feeling and you really dont feel like talking about it, but it is the only way you can get help. Go out, try some new things but make sure you still do things that are in your comfort zone. Since leaving school i have felt better in myself but still get phases where i feel sad or upset but thats life, we all get emotions. Hope you feel more cheerful soon, and there are plenty of others in your position and others you can talk too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.