Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone who I know has told me they have AIDS but not HIV, is this possible, as I have always been told AIDS is from HIV? Any help would be appreciated as I am kinda worried! Thanks. Please keep anon.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugex...6690749239403b

I did try doing that but they all have different answers, i can't seem to find any facts as some say you can have AIDs without HIV...and some say the opposite :/

ReputationRep:
    hiv is the human immunodeficeny virus, which you can have for years and years and show no symptoms but aids is inevitably the result of having that virus, its a bunch of diseases you get due to having a poor immune system because of the virus for example pneumonia etc and the person dies because they can't fight off these disease like a person with a normal immune system would

(Original post by emma t)
    hiv is the human immunodeficeny virus, which you can have for years and years and show no symptoms but aids is inevitably the result of having that virus, its a bunch of diseases you get due to having a poor immune system because of the virus for example pneumonia etc and the person dies because they can't fight off these disease like a person with a normal immune system would
    Thank you for the reply, but what if they were to get the aids from a dodgy blood transfusion, is that different?

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't get AIDS from a blood transfusion- at least not straight off
    You would get the HIV virus (god forbid this shouldn't happen), and the cycle would start over again. IT would have to establish itself, go through the latent phase, etc, and *then* it could advance to AIDS

ReputationRep:
    AIDS is just the term used to describe the late stages of HIV infection. Someone is infected with HIV, over time it destroys the immune system and at the stage when the immune system can't fight off opportunisitc infections and other diseases any more then a person is said to have AIDS. You can't have AIDS without being infected with the HIV virus; it's a term that specifically describes the late stage of HIV infection.

I did read somewhere recently that it's a term that's beginning not to be used as much any more by a lot of doctors because it's not really a useful label and it's more helpful to talk about advanced HIV than it it to talk about AIDS (as there isn't really set criteria as to whether someone has progressed to that stage).

ReputationRep:
    They scan all transfusion bloods for HIV btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Its impossible to get HIV from a blood transfusion in the UK
    Wishful thinking.
    Highly unlikely after the controversies of tainted blood, but it is impossible to guarantee 100% illness free blood, due to the 3 month latency period =/

If you don't believe me:

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

"

The special problem of HIV and Hepatitis viruses

* Every single blood donation is tested for HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) and hepatitis B and C.
    * Infected blood isn't used in transfusions but our test may not always detect the early stages of viral infection.
    * The chance of infected blood getting past our screening tests is very small, but we rely on your help and co-operation.
    * People who carry these viruses may feel healthy for many years.

"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sovietpride)
    Wishful thinking.
    Highly unlikely after the controversies of tainted blood, but it is impossible to guarantee 100% illness free blood, due to the 3 month latency period =/

If you don't believe me:

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

"

The special problem of HIV and Hepatitis viruses

* Every single blood donation is tested for HIV (the virus that causes AIDS) and hepatitis B and C.
    * Infected blood isn't used in transfusions but our test may not always detect the early stages of viral infection.
    * The chance of infected blood getting past our screening tests is very small, but we rely on your help and co-operation.
    * People who carry these viruses may feel healthy for many years.

"
    I retract my statement and thanks for the info i wasnt aware of this.

ReputationRep:
    HIV is a virus which is usually acquired through sex, contact with blood products, or during breastfeeding.

AIDS is a syndrome characterised by multiple infections and malignancies, caused by damage to the immune system from the HIV virus. Treating the HIV infection is designed to prevent or delay the development of AIDS.

There are loads of other causes of impaired immunity (hereditary, malnutrition, injured spleen, problems making white cells, etc etc etc) - but the term 'AIDS' specifically refers to the syndrome which occurs in the later stages of HIV vinfection.

Thank you for your replies everyone, definitely helped me to understand, just don't know why he felt the need to lie to me about it :/ thanks!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.