Turn on thread page Beta

postgrad options to get into Corporate Finance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so im going to uni in October to complete a Business Management degree at King's College London

I really want to get into Corporate Finance, more specifically Mergers and Aquisitions

Say if I do everything I need to at uni, i.e. gain a 1st or 2.1, gain experience and internships (if its possible with my uni/course)
    What would my options be after graduation, would I be in with a shot in IB or at one of the Big4? or would I have to do a postgrad? and if so what postgrad? as most of the top 5 unis are saying that to enroll in their MSc Finance courses, a '2.1 is required in a quantitative discipline', and I'm not sure whether Management can be said to be quantitative? and for an MSc Management, a '2.1 in a discipline other than Management' :confused:

So what do you think guys, do I have a chance (however small it may be) or am I truely screwed?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    any advice............anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Stop asking the same question. Follow the instructions on this website:

1) Get a Spring Week.
    2) Get a Summer Internship.
    3) Get a Graduate position.

If you can't get any of these, then get as much experience as you can and apply for a Big4 / Corporate Finance programme at other institutions and then lateral in as an Associate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Stop asking the same question. Follow the instructions on this website:

1) Get a Spring Week.
    2) Get a Summer Internship.
    3) Get a Graduate position.

If you can't get any of these, then you have failed at life.
    fixed

ReputationRep:
    gee, cheers for your help Zweihander....and I thought TSR was full of sarcastic dim-witted *funny-boy* nob'eds !

WokSz: I know what to do once im in university, but im asking whether or not it would be possible to get into CF from a Management degree at KCL? or would I have to do a postgrad to increase my chances?

Everyone keeps going on about Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL being the "only" universities that IBs look at, so im just concerned whether or not im in with a shot...that's all, of course im going to try and get interships/experience etc, but would IBs even look at my application based on my university/course?

any other folks with advice? much appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    fixed
    Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viksta1000)
    gee, cheers for your help Zweihander....and I thought TSR was full of sarcastic dim-witted *funny-boy* nob'eds !
    Welcome to Finance, my friend.

WokSz: I know what to do once im in university, but im asking whether or not it would be possible to get into CF from a Management degree at KCL? or would I have to do a postgrad to increase my chances?
    Yes, it's possible. The problem with a lot of applicants is that people focus on the Bulge Brackets being the only Banks that do M&A. The fact is that a lot of the Boutique Banks are just as good, if not better (Elite Boutiques, of course). In certain cases, you'll get more exposure to deals in Boutiques. So, I recommend you apply to all the Boutiques.

Everyone keeps going on about Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial/UCL being the "only" universities that IBs look at, so im just concerned whether or not im in with a shot...that's all, of course im going to try and get interships/experience etc, but would IBs even look at my application based on my university/course?
    Yes, they will but don't be that hopeful. Just because you don't get into a BB right after graduation does not mean you won't get in later. If you want to be a career Banker (God help you if you do) then it's possible with experience. If anything, being an Analyst in IBD will probably make you hate your life and yourself. My point is that prepare your applications well and make sure you work hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Welcome to Finance, my friend.

Yes, it's possible. The problem with a lot of applicants is that people focus on the Bulge Brackets being the only Banks that do M&A. The fact is that a lot of the Boutique Banks are just as good, if not better (Elite Boutiques, of course). In certain cases, you'll get more exposure to deals in Boutiques. So, I recommend you apply to all the Boutiques.

Yes, they will but don't be that hopeful. Just because you don't get into a BB right after graduation does not mean you won't get in later. If you want to be a career Banker (God help you if you do) then it's possible with experience. If anything, being an Analyst in IBD will probably make you hate your life and yourself. My point is that prepare your applications well and make sure you work hard.
    finally an actual answer on TSR....awesome bud!

I think my plan at the mo is just to get a 1st/2.1 in uni, and as much experience as possible throughout the 1st, penultimate and final years (including an internship obvs)

I think i'll take your boutique bank advice too, but I think i'll also have a better chance at breaking into audit firms (EY/PwC/Deloitte etc) because they seem to be more lenient in terms of university academia

Cheers for you help bud, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    finally an actual answer on TSR....awesome bud!

I think my plan at the mo is just to get a 1st/2.1 in uni, and as much experience as possible throughout the 1st, penultimate and final years (including an internship obvs)

I think i'll take your boutique bank advice too, but I think i'll also have a better chance at breaking into audit firms (EY/PwC/Deloitte etc) because they seem to be more lenient in terms of university academia

Cheers for you help bud, much appreciated!
    You're welcome.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.