ReputationRep:
    Question 1
    Which of these molecules will absorb IR radiation
    H2O
    N2
    CH4
    O2
    CO2

I said H2O and CH4 but apparantly CO2 does as well - I thought only polar molecules did????

Question 2
    Which intermolecular forces exists between molecules of ethoxyethane (CH3CH2OCH2CH3)

I said "Instantaneous dipole - induced dipole ONLY but apparantly permanent dipole-permanent dipole forces are there too. Why????

Question 3
    Which of these will be the best solvent for cyclohexanol and why
    H2O
    CH3COCH3
    NaCl
    CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2CH3

I said the last one but it is the second one. Why?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    Question 1
    Which of these molecules will absorb IR radiation
    H2O
    N2
    CH4
    O2
    CO2

I said H2O and CH4 but apparantly CO2 does as well - I thought only polar molecules did????
    IR absorption occurs when a change in a vibrational state produces a CHANGE in the molecules dipole moment.

You are quite correct in saying that CO2 is not polar...

... BUT, if it flexes and bends the O-C-O bond angle it becomes polar. Hence the change in dipole moment and IR absorption

Question 2
    Which intermolecular forces exists between molecules of ethoxyethane (CH3CH2OCH2CH3)

I said "Instantaneous dipole - induced dipole ONLY but apparantly permanent dipole-permanent dipole forces are there too. Why????
    It may be symmetrical vertically but horizontally is has a dipole moment. Don't forget that the electronic arrangement at the oxygen is tetrahedral and you could represent the molecule as:

R2O

So it's basically the same shape as water (angular, bond angle 104º) and hence polar.

Question 3
    Which of these will be the best solvent for cyclohexanol and why
    H2O
    CH3COCH3
    NaCl
    CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2CH3

I said the last one but it is the second one. Why?
    Cyclohexanol is polar and able to form some hydrogen bonds. It is too bulky to dissolve in water, so propanone is the best bet with polarity and a largish size.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand the answer for Question 2 can someone please elaborate / display diagramtically

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I still don't understand the answer for Question 2 can someone please elaborate / display diagramtically

thanks
    I'm not sure, but I guess the oxygen would attract electron density from the two carbons next to it, giving it a negative dipole and the two carbons positive dipoles.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper

thanks
    Check this out:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.