Turn on thread page Beta

All foods should be labelled 'halal' or 'haraam' watch

ReputationRep:
    As a golden rule most muslims know that they have to check that the food is suitable for vegetarian and contain no alcohol. But not all foods say suitable for vegetarian when they are (and a lot do not specify that they are not suitable for vegetarian when they contain animal products) and for some food wrappers it can be a nightmare reading the ingredients with an incredibly small font listed with all the other languages.

There are few foods which are labeled as 'halal'. But I say all foods should be labelled 'halaal' or 'not halal' as well as 'suitable for vegetarians' and 'not suitable for vegetarians'

ReputationRep:
    I expect over time new food products will be labelled like this. But I expect current food manufacturers would be reluctant to make even a small alteration to their packaging when its not required by law. x

ReputationRep:
    Wishful thinking right there.

ReputationRep:
    We should probably also label everything 'kosher' or 'non kosher' as well, and also 'gluten free' and 'non gluten free', as well as the long list of the many foods that people may be allergic or intolerant to.

Alternatively we could just improve food labeling, I imagine that that would appeal to the majority of consumers.

ReputationRep:
    Well I dunno, Muslims are only 5% of the population. I don't think it would be viable for such a small minority. It's fine how it is except for meat where all those white knights coming to save the animals wish to boycott halal meat have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    We should probably also label everything 'kosher' or 'non kosher' as well, and also 'gluten free' and 'non gluten free', as well as the long list of the many foods that people may be allergic or intolerant to.

Alternatively we could just improve food labeling, I imagine that that would appeal to the majority of consumers.
    This. And it's not 'haraam' to eat non-halal food for the majority of people.

ReputationRep:
    if there was enough people who cared they would label all halal food as halal because it would increase sales. evidently there is not

ReputationRep:
    Nahh. Just force the food companies to label meat that is Halal.

That way you Muslims can see it, and I know not to buy it Everyone's happy. It would be wasteful to label it Haraam, seeing as if it's not labelled Halal it must be.....

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd prefer if all food products were labelled 'Suitable for Vegans' or 'Not suitable for vegans'. I'm sure this would help a vast majority of people both vegetarians/vegans and muslims looking for any haraam meat content.

Some kind of alcohol content label would be great too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vpsycho)
    Personally, I'd prefer if all food products were labelled 'Suitable for Vegans' or 'Not suitable for vegans'. I'm sure this would help a vast majority of people both vegetarians/vegans and muslims looking for any haraam meat content.

Some kind of alcohol content label would be great too.
    I agree. Would it hurt the company editing the labels to contain a small number of words extra.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine as it is, I don't why you think it's difficult to find halal food, it's alright for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    As a golden rule most muslims know that they have to check that the food is suitable for vegetarian and contain no alcohol. But not all foods say suitable for vegetarian when they are (and a lot do not specify that they are not suitable for vegetarian when they contain animal products) and for some food wrappers it can be a nightmare reading the ingredients with an incredibly small font listed with all the other languages.

There are few foods which are labeled as 'halal'. But I say all foods should be labelled 'halaal' or 'not halal' as well as 'suitable for vegetarians' and 'not suitable for vegetarians'
    But there also division on what is considered Halal, Haram and Mushbooh and there is disagreement on some things. For example, consider something like lucozade which has a trace amount of alcohol. Some organisation (can't remember which) have declared it to be "halal" despite this although many Muslims wouldn't agree and would never want to consume something that has the slightest bit of alcohol. The lines are sometimes too blurred for there to be a definitive answer. The best solution would be for everything to say whether or not it's suitable for vegetarians (which I'm surprised isn't already a law) and whether it contains alcohol (trace or not). This could also help other religions e.g. it might help Jews decide if something is Kosher or just be helpful to vegetarians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    I agree. Would it hurt the company editing the labels to contain a small number of words extra.

Why should any food have to contain the negative word 'Haram' when it would cost them business? They haven't broken any UK laws, so why should they be forced to demean their own products, just because they don't meet your personal preference?

Why not the word Kosher? And what if a thousand different faith groups each came up with specific eating regulations? Would you support including the opinion of every one on whether that food is suitable or not, all on the packet? It would quickly become chaos. Why must Islam take precedence in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    But there also division on what is considered Halal, Haram and Mushbooh and there is disagreement on some things. For example, consider something like lucozade which has a trace amount of alcohol. Some organisation (can't remember which) have declared it to be "halal" despite this although many Muslims wouldn't agree and would never want to consume something that has the slightest bit of alcohol. The lines are sometimes too blurred for there to be a definitive answer. The best solution would be for everything to say whether or not it's suitable for vegetarians (which I'm surprised isn't already a law) and whether it contains alcohol (trace or not). This could also help other religions e.g. it might help Jews decide if something is Kosher or just be helpful to vegetarians.
    Thats a very good point. I guess then having a (not) suitable for vegetarian label and a label for alchol (trace or not) would be better.

ReputationRep:
    No because we don't live in a muslim country. If we did this for muslims it would only be fair to do it for every other potential dietary needs and the packaging would be a mess covered in writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    No because we don't live in a muslim country. If we did this for muslims it would only be fair to do it for every other potential dietary needs and the packaging would be a mess covered in writing.
    Bigger packaging.

Anyway, point to note the OP said 'should', not 'must', therefore letting food companies have discretion whether to label items halaal or not.

ReputationRep:
    The other day I bought nice big packet of M&M's but I forgot to check the back and it had some E number that we can't have and then I had to throw it all away :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    The other day I bought nice big packet of M&M's but I forgot to check the back and it had some E number that we can't have and then I had to throw it all away :emo:
    Surely you could have given them to somebody rather than waste the M&M goodness :eek:

ReputationRep:
    No, they shouldn't. Britain is not a Muslim country and we should not be making any silly concessions such as this.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than altering all the packaging they could just create an online database thing or something with all the information of each product - wouldn't cost much and wouldn't affect anyone who wasn't bothered by halal food or whatever...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.