Turn on thread page Beta

All foods should be labelled 'halal' or 'haraam' watch

(Original post by Glee)
    Listen fellow, I have things to do so don't pester me.
    'Did you even read the thread' I'll assume that was rhetoric.
    Read the aforementioned statement - 'No one is at a disadvantage....'. But you must be lacking so I'll elaborate. People either prefer halal or non-halal meat. Now everyone has the choice! So why would someone be reluctant? Perhaps for an unhindered dogmatism backed up with an obstinate reluctance to tolerate all religions...
    This is people making it easier for people. This is you doing otherwise.
    Get off tsr if you have things to do!
    I disagree that nobody is at a disadvantage, the companies will be at a disadvantage, they pay a lot of money to have their packaging redesigned and every time a new law is made they have to hire an army of lawyers to make sure that they are complying with it. The impact on a companies finances has a direct effect on how much they can afford to pay their employees. You must be lacking in that you cant see that. People are reluctant for the reasons that have been given, which is why I asked you if you had read the thread. There are lots and lots and lots of minority groups in this country, shall we pander to them all? Shall we make every item of packaging contain info for every single group of people in the uk? What if it would mean doubling the size of the packaging? who pays for the extra enviromental cost?

Its ironic that every insult you throw at me you are infact guilty of yourself: racist, dogmatic, obstinate, reluctant to tolerate.

Edit: Somebody just posted a link which says that shows that this whole proposal is pointless anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe just suitable for vegetarians/ not suitable, instead of halal, kosher and all the faiths that would want their say in it.

Not suitable/suitable for vegetarians would make more sense too, as I think there are more vegetarians than muslims in this country anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    I disagree that nobody is at a disadvantage, the companies will be at a disadvantage, they pay a lot of money to have their packaging redesigned and every time a new law is made they have to hire an army of lawyers to make sure that they are complying with it. The impact on a companies finances has a direct effect on how much they can afford to pay their employees. You must be lacking in that you cant see that. People are reluctant for the reasons that have been given, which is why I asked you if you had read the thread. There are lots and lots and lots of minority groups in this country, shall we pander to them all? Shall we make every item of packaging contain info for every single group of people in the uk? What if it would mean doubling the size of the packaging? who pays for the extra enviromental cost?

Its ironic that every insult you throw at me you are infact guilty of yourself: racist, dogmatic, obstinate, reluctant to tolerate.
    Never have the people felt concern for the financial constraints of a company?
    I really do not know why on earth you decide to go against the norm.

Oh yes, that chain of events is liable to happen!! Theyll be out under such a budgetary constraint that the company will struggle, huge cuts will follow, jobs will be lost and famillies left in ruins. Of course it'll happen in the eyes of intolerance...that's all it is here. It's saddening.
    'HALAL
    Thats it. Thats it that needs to be done.
    Nerver mind though.

ReputationRep:

Edit: Somebody just posted a link which says that shows that this whole proposal is pointless anyway.
    I agree with you on the topic of the thread, but you're really blowing this one out of proportion. No company is going to be banktrupt changing their packaging - the vast majority change them dozens of times over for promotional purposes etc. And in case you didn't realise, companies are driven by money - if they could see labelling their products as halal if it drew them a large customer base, they'd stick two fingers at the politics of it and go ahead with it.

Kelloggs has been certified halal for years now...did it bankrupt them? No. Has it radically altered their packaging? Bet you never even noticed.

ReputationRep:
    The task is not as easy as you might think; for one thing, not all Muslims are going to agree on whether a particular type of food is Halal or not.

For example, many Muslims believe that if the animal has been stunned before slaughter, then it is Haram. Although despite this, something like 90% of meat labelled "Halal" in the UK did in fact come from an animal which was stunned before slaughter. And other Muslims might think that pre-stunning is acceptable, as long as you don't kill it that way.
    Some Muslims think that food made containing alcohol is permissible if the alcohol content is low enough that it cannot act as an intoxicant, while other Muslims will refuse anything containing any traces of alcohol.

I think that even if food isn't impeccably labelled, it shouldn't really be that much of an inconvenience to Muslims. Islam is more concerned about your intentions than anything else. I've eaten non-Halal food many times by mistake, but I don't think really matters that much in the grand scheme of things. As long as a reasonable effort is made to confirm that the food is Halal, I think it's all well and good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Well I dunno, Muslims are only 5% of the population. I don't think it would be viable for such a small minority. It's fine how it is except for meat where all those white knights coming to save the animals wish to boycott halal meat have a problem.
    Only 7 to 10% of the population is vegetarian... But we label that!
    I dont really care either way for what OP wants, just thought i'd let you know

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the need for it. Just read the ingredients :dontknow:
    But the halal marshmallows :sogood:

(Original post by Glee)
    Never have the people felt concern for the financial constraints of a company?
    I really do not know why on earth you decide to go against the norm.

Oh yes, that chain of events is liable to happen!! Theyll be out under such a budgetary constraint that the company will struggle, huge cuts will follow, jobs will be lost and famillies left in ruins. Of course it'll happen in the eyes of intolerance...that's all it is here. It's saddening.
    'HALAL
    Thats it. Thats it that needs to be done.
    Nerver mind though.
    What? People are always concerned about the financial constraints companies, especially if they are employed by them. You are the one going against the norm here, most people (even some of the muslims you are so protective of) are against the idea. Talk about reaing what you want to read, you are hugely exaggerating what I said, if you dont think the company will be at a disadvantage though you are lying to yourself. You are the only person being intolerent here. Just like you were the only one of us being racist, and just like you were the only one of us being dogmatic and obstnate aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    No, they shouldn't. Britain is not a Muslim country and we should not be making any silly concessions such as this.
    Halal food should be labelled so those who haven't been brainwashed by "multiculturalism" know to avoid it.

(Original post by MrGuillotine)
    I agree with you on the topic of the thread, but you're really blowing this one out of proportion. No company is going to be banktrupt changing their packaging - the vast majority change them dozens of times over for promotional purposes etc. And in case you didn't realise, companies are driven by money - if they could see labelling their products as halal if it drew them a large customer base, they'd stick two fingers at the politics of it and go ahead with it.

Kelloggs has been certified halal for years now...did it bankrupt them? No. Has it radically altered their packaging? Bet you never even noticed.
    Show me where I wrote the word bankrupt?

Changing packaging out of choice and changing it because of a law are two completely different things. If a company chooses to do it I couldnt give a damn either way, but when you bring in laws you make things very very complicated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    if there was enough people who cared they would label all halal food as halal because it would increase sales. evidently there is not
    Rubbish!
    The vast majority of the UK population wouldn't touch anything that had been slaughtered barbarically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    No, they shouldn't. Britain is not a Muslim country and we should not be making any silly concessions such as this.
    I have to agree with this. It got my goat enough that when having to visit a hospital on the other side of town there were signs in other languages. If you're going to live in this country the least you can do is learn the language, regardless of your religion. Likewise, being Muslim or vegetarian is a life choice, and as such you accept certain things you will have to do when you make that choice. I'm sure most Muslims like the rest of us get into a habit of buying much the same things when food shopping and as such learn which items are permissable and which are not.

I'm very seriously looking in to converting to Islam and have been for some time, if I make that choice then I accept a condition of it will be I have to read a few food labels and get to rememeber what I can and cannot eat. I don't think this expectation is unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    Therefore, is having a trace amount of alcohol & suitable for vegetarians a good criteria for halaal?
    The scholarly position is that if it's less than 1% it isn't regarded as haraam. If it was, you'd have to say bread, cake etc. are haraam by default which we know isn't the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    So how can Muslims justify eating the rest? :hmmmm:
    As long as the animal doesn't die as a result of being stunned and the stunning equipment doesn't cause excessive pain then it is still halal. According to UK law, animals slaughtered in commercial abattoirs have to be stunned and Muslim butchers can only get their meat from commercial abattoirs since Muslim abattoirs don't exist in the UK. If an animal dies as a result of being stunned it cannot be sold as halal.

ReputationRep:
    Show me where I wrote the word bankrupt?
    Here :rolleyes:

You said companies will lose a lot of money to have their packaging redesigned. Laughable.

Changing packaging out of choice and changing it because of a law are two completely different things. If a company chooses to do it I couldnt give a damn either way, but when you bring in laws you make things very very complicated.
    Why do you assume the need to bring in any law for this? It isnt even a law to label things vege...its a voluntary practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Rubbish!
    The vast majority of the UK population wouldn't touch anything that had been slaughtered barbarically.
    Supermarkets refuse to label halal meat because they don't have to, it's as simple as that.

Religious slaughter violates our laws on animal cruelty but we allow it because Muslims and Jews insist on behaving as if it's still the Bronze Age, effectively torturing animals to death for the sake of superstition. As it's not economically viable to process this meat separately and because there can be no compromise with Islam as that might cause offence, heaven forbid, it goes without saying that everyone has to do it the Muslim way.

Supermarkets are refusing to label it - they don't want people to know what they're buying because they know if they did, people wouldn't buy it, and the government is letting them get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    It also depends on the type of alcohol too. See here.
    Thanks for that link.

I'm of the opinion that it would still be considered haraam regradless of how much is used.

[2:219] They ask you about intoxicants and gambling: say, "In them there is a gross sin, and some benefits for the people. But their sinfulness far outweighs their benefit."

It was reported by Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), that Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:

"God’s curse falls on ten groups of people who deal with alcohol. The one who distills it, the one for whom it has been distilled, the one who drinks it, the one who transports it, the one to who it has been brought, the one whom serves it, the one who sells it, the one who utilizes money from it, the one who buys it and the one who buys it for someone else."
    According to Sunan Ibn-I-Majah Volume 3, Book of Intoxicants, Chapter 30 Hadith No. 3380.

Also, would rep you for the evidence provided but unfortunately i've reached max amount of posts I can rep.

ReputationRep:
    What? People are always concerned about the financial constraints companies, especially if they are employed by them. You are the one going against the norm here, most people (even some of the muslims you are so protective of) are against the idea. Talk about reaing what you want to read, you are hugely exaggerating what I said, if you dont think the company will be at a disadvantage though you are lying to yourself. You are the only person being intolerent here. Just like you were the only one of us being racist, and just like you were the only one of us being dogmatic and obstnate aswell.
    You're partially right: I only have a very low tolerance level for a fool (no offence) And you sir are drawing it pretty high. You said MrGuillotine's statement was making things complicated...a good indication of my derogatory comment.

It went without saying that people employed under a struggling company would be disadvantaged. That was not the subtext. My sarcasm (which you didnt pick up on) was to hilight that the addition of the word 'halal' to an ingredient label would not harm the company to such an extent (and hence its employees).
    Pointing out the intolerance of others is racist? Excuse me for trying to instigate a little structure in this hypocritical world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a muslim and i've been fine for 20 years, I don't see why it should change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Supermarkets refuse to label halal meat because they don't have to, it's as simple as that.

Religious slaughter violates our laws on animal cruelty but we allow it because Muslims and Jews insist on behaving as if it's still the Bronze Age, effectively torturing animals to death for the sake of superstition. As it's not economically viable to process this meat separately and because there can be no compromise with Islam as that might cause offence, heaven forbid, it goes without saying that everyone has to do it the Muslim way.

Supermarkets are refusing to label it - they don't want people to know what they're buying because they know if they did, people wouldn't buy it, and the government is letting them get away with it.
    Considering the fact it remains unlabelled and even Muslim countries sell non-halal meat, I'd still be inclined to ask whether they are serving halaal meat. All the Muslims I know buy halaal meat from Costco & Muslim butchers where it is labelled .

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.