Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    As long as the animal doesn't die as a result of being stunned and the stunning equipment doesn't cause excessive pain then it is still halal. According to UK law, animals slaughtered in commercial abattoirs have to be stunned and Muslim butchers can only get their meat from commercial abattoirs since Muslim abattoirs don't exist in the UK. If an animal dies as a result of being stunned it cannot be sold as halal.
    Can you give me the law please?

I personally know of abattoirs that slaughter the animal without stunning it first... so I guess I could blackmail them into free meat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    The task is not as easy as you might think; for one thing, not all Muslims are going to agree on whether a particular type of food is Halal or not.

For example, many Muslims believe that if the animal has been stunned before slaughter, then it is Haram. Although despite this, something like 90% of meat labelled "Halal" in the UK did in fact come from an animal which was stunned before slaughter. And other Muslims might think that pre-stunning is acceptable, as long as you don't kill it that way.
    Some Muslims think that food made containing alcohol is permissible if the alcohol content is low enough that it cannot act as an intoxicant, while other Muslims will refuse anything containing any traces of alcohol.

I think that even if food isn't impeccably labelled, it shouldn't really be that much of an inconvenience to Muslims. Islam is more concerned about your intentions than anything else. I've eaten non-Halal food many times by mistake, but I don't think really matters that much in the grand scheme of things. As long as a reasonable effort is made to confirm that the food is Halal, I think it's all well and good.
    I think different halal food standards authorities have different requirements of what is halal or not. Maybe a badge of certification from a particular authority (such as HMC) will indicate certain criteria, e.g. whether the animal was stunned or not.

Also according to scholars if you are told something is halal or it is labelled as such and you have no reasonable reason to believe otherwise, e.g. the establishment doesn't serve alcohol or pork, then it is permitted to eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    As a golden rule most muslims know that they have to check that the food is suitable for vegetarian and contain no alcohol. But not all foods say suitable for vegetarian when they are (and a lot do not specify that they are not suitable for vegetarian when they contain animal products) and for some food wrappers it can be a nightmare reading the ingredients with an incredibly small font listed with all the other languages.

There are few foods which are labeled as 'halal'. But I say all foods should be labelled 'halaal' or 'not halal' as well as 'suitable for vegetarians' and 'not suitable for vegetarians'
    This is why there is so much anti-Muslim sentiment. Because people like you seem to want to change everything to fit themselves, and you have no idea why this pisses everyone else off.

No, Britain is not going to change to be in line with the 7th Century beliefs of 5% of the population. That's ridiculous.

Muslims are a minority. They should not dictate to the rest of us. There is already vegetarian labelling in widespread usage, and as well as that ingredients are clearly listed. If the writing is too small get a magnifying glass and stop bothering the rest of us.

If we (the non-Muslim majority) wanted anything to do with your religion, we would convert. Clearly we are not interested in it, so stop shoving it down everyone's throat.

ReputationRep:
    **** NO

Quite simply this is not a muslim country. I'm not a rascist, I'm not even a christian, I simply believe that this is stupid. I dont care how my meat was killed, as long as it tastes good who the **** cares? And I dont care about your ridiculous religous beliefs.

I live in a muslim area of town and I hate it. This is england for ****s sake. The only butchers around are 'halal' and I dont particuarly feel comfortable going into any of them.

In my opinion what you believe in is up to you, but the vast majority do not agree with your views and you should not force it onto people. If your not happy with our country get the **** out.

Negs incoming!

(Original post by MrGuillotine)
    Here :rolleyes:

You said companies will lose a lot of money to have their packaging redesigned. Laughable.

Why do you assume the need to bring in any law for this? It isnt even a law to label things vege...its a voluntary practice.
    It does cost companies a lot of money to have their packaging redesigned. I dont know what you are laughing at. Marketing is a lucrative industry for a reason.

If you want ALL food to be labeled in a certain way, you are going to need some laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know_ThySelf)
    Can you give me the law please?

I personally know of abattoirs that slaughter the animal without stunning it first... so I guess I could blackmail them into free meat
    If the meat is only for Muslims/Jews it's fine. It's only if it's sold to the wider public does it become a problem:

Philip Lymbery, Chief Executive for Compassion in World Farming, said: “We completely respect every individual’s religious choice. However, it is illegal for slaughterhouses to slaughter animals without first stunning them unless they are satisfied that the meat is intended solely for the Muslim or Jewish communities. In our view it is also against the law for a company to sell or serve meat from unstunned animals to the wider general public.”

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/news/compassi...sher_meat.aspx

ReputationRep:
    It's an outdated practice harking back to the days where many animals were killed inhumanely and by being "Halal" the animal suffered little in its death.
    Now, however, we have the technological know-how and ability to make sure that all animals are killed humanely, so what is the need to even have Halal meat?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all these manufacturing companies should go out and learn the crazy rules of your stupid religion.

I'm not sure how Halal works but with Kosher food the rules are so insane that unless it has been made to be Kosher then it probably isn't

(Original post by Glee)
    You're partially right: I only have a very low tolerance level for a fool (no offence) And you sir are drawing it pretty high. You said MrGuillotine's statement was making things complicated 1...a good indication of my derogatory comment.

It went without saying that people employed under a struggling company would be disadvantaged. That was not the subtext. My sarcasm (which you didnt pick up on) was to hilight that the addition of the word 'halal' to an ingredient label would not harm the company to such an extent 2(and hence its employees).
    Pointing out the intolerance of others is racist? 3Excuse me for trying to instigate a little structure in this hypocritical world.
    1, No I didnt. Learn to read fool.
    2, Who say it woudnt? Things get expensive when laws have to be complied with, they have to protect themselves against law suits.
    3, No numb nuts. Saying that the followers of islam are a race is racist because you are in a round about way saying that there are some races that cant be muslim.

Hypocritical is the fact that you have been more guilty of every single one of your insults towards me than I have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    It's an outdated practice harking back to the days where many animals were killed inhumanely and by being "Halal" the animal suffered little in its death.
    Now, however, we have the technological know-how and ability to make sure that all animals are killed humanely, so what is the need to even have Halal meat?
    Currently the methods of non-ritual slaughter in the UK are: firing a bolt through the animal's skull, electrocution and asphyxiation. The level of pain/trauma the animal experiences varies considerably depending on its size, health and the success in delivering the slaughter (sometimes it fails and needs to be repeated).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    It does cost companies a lot of money to have their packaging redesigned. I dont know what you are laughing at. Marketing is a lucrative industry for a reason.

If you want ALL food to be labeled in a certain way, you are going to need some laws.
    It's one freaking symbol. If you really think companies will find it difficult or expensive to change their packaging to such a small extent, you really are stupid. Don't even bother on this one.

There is no need for your silly suggestion of the introduction of any laws. The vege system is a voluntary one and indeed there are many products that are vegetarian but not labelled as such for reason or another. I mean there is no proper legal definition of a vegetarian/vegan but the vege labelling system is successful and widespread. So there is absolutely no reason to change any laws.

Any more stupid ideas?

It's one freaking symbol. If you really think companies will find it difficult or expensive to change their packaging to such a small extent, you really are stupid. Don't even bother on this one.

There is no need for your silly suggestion of the introduction of any laws. The vege system is a voluntary one and indeed there are many products that are vegetarian but not labelled as such for reason or another. I mean there is no proper legal definition of a vegetarian/vegan but the vege labelling system is successful and widespread. So there is absolutely no reason to change any laws.

Any more stupid ideas?
    OP said that ALL foods should be labeled either halal or haram. If you want ALL foods to have to comply with that, then yes...there will be a need for laws.

ReputationRep:

Any more stupid ideas?
    Hey don't bother anymore with him. I'm not. ^.^

(Original post by Glee)
    Hey don't bother anymore. I'm not. ^.^
    Well, that's because you lost isnt it.

I thought that you had stuff to do anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glee)
    You're partially right: I only have a very low tolerance level for a fool (no offence) And you sir are drawing it pretty high. You said MrGuillotine's statement was making things complicated...a good indication of my derogatory comment.

It went without saying that people employed under a struggling company would be disadvantaged. That was not the subtext. My sarcasm (which you didnt pick up on) was to hilight that the addition of the word 'halal' to an ingredient label would not harm the company to such an extent (and hence its employees).
    Pointing out the intolerance of others is racist? Excuse me for trying to instigate a little structure in this hypocritical world.
    A muslim lecturing on tolerance... Whatever next.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... the vast majority of the British public may disagree, especially Islamophobic people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    OP said that ALL foods should be labeled either halal or haram. If you want ALL foods to have to comply with that, then yes...there will be a need for laws.
    Yeah, numbnuts, I said I agree with your viewpoint regarding the original proposal of the OPs.

The point still stands that whilst I dont agree with the proposal, it is perfectly feasible, and contrary to your pedantic efforts, not going to lead to wage reductions or whatever stupid deduction you made.

Give up, your points are daft.

Yeah, numbnuts, I said I agree with your viewpoint regarding the original proposal of the OPs.

The point still stands that whilst I dont agree with the proposal, it is perfectly feasible, and contrary to your pedantic efforts, not going to lead to wage reductions or whatever stupid deduction you made.

Give up, your points are daft.
    You are the one being daft. You think you can get every single food manufacturer who sells food in the uk to agree to put a label on things without making it the law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    If the meat is only for Muslims/Jews it's fine. It's only if it's sold to the wider public does it become a problem:

Philip Lymbery, Chief Executive for Compassion in World Farming, said: “We completely respect every individual’s religious choice. However, it is illegal for slaughterhouses to slaughter animals without first stunning them unless they are satisfied that the meat is intended solely for the Muslim or Jewish communities. In our view it is also against the law for a company to sell or serve meat from unstunned animals to the wider general public.”

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/news/compassi...sher_meat.aspx
    So no free meat....?

Thanks for that link, the website showing the actual law is down at the moment though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    As a golden rule most muslims know that they have to check that the food is suitable for vegetarian and contain no alcohol. But not all foods say suitable for vegetarian when they are (and a lot do not specify that they are not suitable for vegetarian when they contain animal products) and for some food wrappers it can be a nightmare reading the ingredients with an incredibly small font listed with all the other languages.

There are few foods which are labeled as 'halal'. But I say all foods should be labelled 'halaal' or 'not halal' as well as 'suitable for vegetarians' and 'not suitable for vegetarians'
    This is the UK, not Pakistan

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.