Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All foods should be labelled 'halal' or 'haraam' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    You are the one being daft. You think you can get every single food manufacturer who sells food in the uk agree to put a label on things without making it the law?
    Oh dear. There is no need to get everyone to play ball, the same way the vegetarian system doesnt require everyone to sign up. But it still works and is widespread...and get this, it didn't take a law to get it into motion.

Jesus, what is wrong with you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Yeah... the vast majority of the British public may disagree, especially Islamophobic people
    So if we don't want to change our laws to suit the 7th century superstitions of 5% of the country we have a phobia? An irrational fear? What an absolutely hideous thing to say.

What exactly is your position on compulsory Halal labelling, the non-issue raised by the OP?

ReputationRep:
    i along with many other people i know wouldnt actually eat that food, due to the fact its been labelled with this, call it what you like, but i know that in the bible it says that people shouldnt eat food other to other idols and in sikhism it also states something similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeyShakey)
    i along with many other people i know wouldnt actually eat that food, due to the fact its been labelled with this, call it what you like, but i know that in the bible it says that people shouldnt eat food other to other idols and in sikhism it also states something similar.
    Hope you dont eat Kelloggs then.

(Original post by MrGuillotine)
    Oh dear. There is no need to get everyone to play ball, the same way the vegetarian system doesnt require everyone to sign up. But it still works and is widespread...and get this, it didn't take a law to get it into motion.

Jesus, what is wrong with you??
    Widespread and all are not the same thing.

I have already said to you that if companies want to do it by choice I couldnt give a damn either way, but that is not what this thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeyShakey)
    Actually if it doesn't contain meat, then the certification means only that. That it doesn't contain meat, and nothing was offered to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    This is why there is so much anti-Muslim sentiment. Because people like you seem to want to change everything to fit themselves, and you have no idea why this pisses everyone else off.

No, Britain is not going to change to be in line with the 7th Century beliefs of 5% of the population. That's ridiculous.

Muslims are a minority. They should not dictate to the rest of us. There is already vegetarian labelling in widespread usage, and as well as that ingredients are clearly listed. If the writing is too small get a magnifying glass and stop bothering the rest of us.

If we (the non-Muslim majority) wanted anything to do with your religion, we would convert. Clearly we are not interested in it, so stop shoving it down everyone's throat.
    Personally , I think your just hating on Muslims, you seem to have an extreme resentment towards them. This is the UK, no matter how small or big a group doesnt matter, the UK gives rights to everyone whether you like it not. Everyone has a say, if you think Muslims are bothering you, then don't read these threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    Hope you dont eat Kelloggs then.
    nope, never have.

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    Personally , I think your just hating on Muslims, you seem to have an extreme resentment towards them. This is the UK, no matter how small or big a group doesnt matter, the UK gives rights to everyone whether you like it not. Everyone has a say, if you think Muslims are bothering you, then don't read these threads.
    They have the right to their say, whether you like it or not. Things work both ways.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you have misunderstood me. My posts are often quite strongly worded.

I'm saying 5% of people should not be able to dictate the laws of this country.

The only Muslims I have resentment towards are the ones who are constantly trying to force their religion into the public sphere where it does not belong. This is not all Muslims, obviously.

My position is secularism. Secular ideas are what freedom of religion is based on. Many Muslims I have met appreciate this, and do not try to undermine it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElMoro)
    But there also division on what is considered Halal, Haram and Mushbooh and there is disagreement on some things. For example, consider something like lucozade which has a trace amount of alcohol. Some organisation (can't remember which) have declared it to be "halal" despite this although many Muslims wouldn't agree and would never want to consume something that has the slightest bit of alcohol. The lines are sometimes too blurred for there to be a definitive answer. The best solution would be for everything to say whether or not it's suitable for vegetarians (which I'm surprised isn't already a law) and whether it contains alcohol (trace or not). This could also help other religions e.g. it might help Jews decide if something is Kosher or just be helpful to vegetarians.
    firstly, it wouldn't help jews at all.

secondly, jews have a system where we mark kosher food produced by jewish companies or under jewish supervision (to avoid accidents) label their food with a mark indicating not only that it's kosher but also which rabbinical court has said so. this allows those who wish to be more or less lenient decide who they follow, so for example the Kedassia court is known to be very strict, while the standard KLBD stamp is more lenient.

could this work for Muslims as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    They have the right to their say, whether you like it or not. Things work both ways.
    Doesn't matter.

Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights

Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    So if we don't want to change our laws to suit the 7th century superstitions of 5% of the country we have a phobia? An irrational fear? What an absolutely hideous thing to say.

What exactly is your position on compulsory Halal labelling, the non-issue raised by the OP?
    You're saying that, not me - yeah that is a stupid thing to say, I just said especially Islamophobic people would object, logically

My point was just the 'average British' person may be likely to object

and funny, I was just going to say it's a non-issue too. Why not just have things the way they are with Halal butchers, chicken shops, Kebab shops, KFCS etc etc that serve halal anyway, it's not really a huge issue imo

ReputationRep:
    Hombre, that very clearly is not what he is saying. He is not demanding that Muslims, as individuals or as a group, have fewer rights than everyone else; instead, he's complaining about a perceived demand by Muslims and/or their self-appointed 'community leaders' for special treatment. If you think that this demand for labeling is not an example of asking for special treatment, argue with him on that; don't baselessly and bigotedly dismiss him as just having an 'extreme resentment towards' Muslims. That is to use the very intolerance you purport to condemn.

With respect to this topic, both kosher and halal are quite clearly redundant cultural artefacts of a time before proper meat sanitation - artefacts that, in modern Europe, seem somewhat barbaric, given their present contravention of slaughtering standards. The proposition would then be that if people feel strongly enough about these archaic meat rules to stick to them, they should put the effort in to find which meat fits their religions' preferences; it should not be made convenient for them, a minute minority, at the inconvenience of others.

Clearly, allergies do not fall in to the same category as this - there is a logic behind it, viz. harm - and nor do labels for vegetarianism/veganism - though you may disagree with the reasoning, there is at least a plausible claim to some sort of moral basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    Doesn't matter.

Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights

Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
    It does matter; he's talking about freedom of speech. Regardless of the defeated aims of our friends at the OIC, protection of religion does not overrule freedom of speech.

I assume you fight as hard for the human rights of apostates in Islamic countries as you do here when it suits your argument, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    You're saying that, not me - yeah that is a stupid thing to say, I just said especially Islamophobic people would object, logically

My point was just the 'average British' person may be likely to object

and funny, I was just going to say it's a non-issue too. Why not just have things the way they are with Halal butchers, chicken shops, Kebab shops, KFCS etc etc that serve halal anyway, it's not really a huge issue imo
    I apologise for misunderstanding you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niall c)
    It does matter; he's talking about freedom of speech. Regardless of the defeated aims of our friends at the OIC, protection of religion does not overrule freedom of speech.
    I never claimed this and vice-versa. Both are protected under European Conventions.

I assume you fight as hard for the human rights of apostates in Islamic countries as you do here when it suits your argument, by the way.
    Islaamic countries are not subject to the European Convention on Human Rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    As a golden rule most muslims know that they have to check that the food is suitable for vegetarian and contain no alcohol. But not all foods say suitable for vegetarian when they are (and a lot do not specify that they are not suitable for vegetarian when they contain animal products) and for some food wrappers it can be a nightmare reading the ingredients with an incredibly small font listed with all the other languages.

There are few foods which are labeled as 'halal'. But I say all foods should be labelled 'halaal' or 'not halal' as well as 'suitable for vegetarians' and 'not suitable for vegetarians'
    Or the majority of people do not care because we are not Muslim. If you don't like it then go to a country with more Muslims!

ReputationRep:
    Why should it be? Is the lack of haraam labeling causing you a huge problem that affects your daily life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    We should probably also label everything 'kosher' or 'non kosher' as well, and also 'gluten free' and 'non gluten free', as well as the long list of the many foods that people may be allergic or intolerant to.

Alternatively we could just improve food labeling, I imagine that that would appeal to the majority of consumers.
    Most things are labelled Kosher, if they are.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.