Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All foods should be labelled 'halal' or 'haraam' Watch

ReputationRep:
    All foods should be halaal.

ReputationRep:
    This position is likely to be unpopular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imzir)
    As a golden rule most muslims know that they have to check that the food is suitable for vegetarian and contain no alcohol. But not all foods say suitable for vegetarian when they are (and a lot do not specify that they are not suitable for vegetarian when they contain animal products) and for some food wrappers it can be a nightmare reading the ingredients with an incredibly small font listed with all the other languages.

There are few foods which are labeled as 'halal'. But I say all foods should be labelled 'halaal' or 'not halal' as well as 'suitable for vegetarians' and 'not suitable for vegetarians'
    I don't see why you've been negged for this.

I agree, but it should also be labeled 'kosher/non kosher' and have allergy warnings on the packets. It wouldn't take much for companies to do it and yet it would help a lot of others.

ReputationRep:
    Why? We are a secular country. In our secular countries eyes, you are simply being naive and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    They don't even label Bacon sandwiches as "Bacon, lettuce and some more rabbit food" sandwiches, so good luck getting your halal labels!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. Demanding that UK food manufacturers should all change their packaging - potentially costing millions across the industry - so that its a little bit easier for you is unrealistic.

Also, it will probably be seen by many people as muslims trying to force their culture upon the UK. I'm not saying I agree with the people who'd say that, but demanding that food manufacturers make allowances for your religion isn't doing you any favours in the long run, really.
    If the food manufacturers were to do this, then they'd need to specify if it is halal or not halal (and possibly put themselves at risk of legal action, taking into consideration the varying opinions on 'halal') whether its kosher or not kosher, whether its vegan or not vegan etc. Or they'll attract a lot of bad press.

I'm not saying its right, but it is the way things are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    All foods should be halaal.
    Yes, no-one in the UK should be allowed to eat foods that your religion bans, even though they don't follow your religion.

idiot.

(Original post by Hamesh)
    Doesn't matter.

Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights

Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs shall be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of public safety, for the protection of public order, health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
    That has no relevance to what i quoted.

Just because somebody disagrees with you it does not mean that they are limiting your freedom to follow your religion.

ReputationRep:
    Man up, non-halal food isn't going to kill you...

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a ****. Presumably by now we would have some significant medical stats on rates for particular diseases that are apparently avoided by eaitng halaal (as claimed by a muslim when pushed for a scientific reason) which could be easily obtained and compared through geographic regions after compensating for ethnic/racial factors. Unless I can see these, I would consider halal and kosher (which can be really extreme and pedantic at times) to be a religious preference and as such should be practiced personally and most certainly not institutionalised or permeated through out industry/law.

ReputationRep:
    How about, oh I don't know, bothering to read the ingredients? You'll be surprised how useful that can be.

Alternatively, move to Leicester where there are plenty of shops which sell halal meat. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Haha so funny. Is this what you want on a packet of biscuists?

Chocolate biscuits
    Ingredients: choclate, biscuits.
    Alergy Advice: Conatains milk, wheat.
    Suitable for:
    Muslims
    Hindus
    Christians
    Athiests
    Devil Worshipers
    Not suitable for:
    Scientologists
    Rastafari
    Voodoo
    Sikhs
    Jews
    Agnostics
    Pagans
    Wickans

ReputationRep:
    I think that people should be able to choose whether or not to buy a certain meat product based on the welfare and slaughter that the animal received. I personally try to only buy meat that is slaughtered humanely, therefore if meat was labelled halal then I would know to avoid it. Food labelling needs to be more clear in general to be honest. If however someone feels strongly about something, then they will put in the time necessary to find these sorts of things out themselves. Muslims are no exception and we shouldn't pander to their needs, especially as many of the British public disagree with the fundamentals of their religion.

ReputationRep:
    In France, halal food is labelled as such. Larger supermarkets also have a 'halal' and a 'kosher' section. If I wanted halal food, which I don't particularly, I could find it easily. If I don't, I just pick up whatever's on the shelf. They also often have an 'organic' section and a gluten free section in supermarkets. I don't see why a relatively unobtrusive label (a sticker, or the word 'halal' added to the label) would be a problem; and Muslims can, I presume, use their discretion as to whether to buy anything not specifically labelled and use common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    I never claimed this and vice-versa. Both are protected under European Conventions.
    Then what was the point of your comment?

Islaamic countries are not subject to the European Convention on Human Rights
    Most are, however, subject to the Int'l Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which equally guarantees freedom of religion and of speech. The point stands: if your point was intended to be moral, you'd need to equally attack any violations of the standard you're using, i.e. human rights, in every country. If your point is merely legal, well - apart from undermining hypocrisy, so what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    Perhaps you have misunderstood me. My posts are often quite strongly worded.

I'm saying 5% of people should not be able to dictate the laws of this country.

The only Muslims I have resentment towards are the ones who are constantly trying to force their religion into the public sphere where it does not belong. This is not all Muslims, obviously.

My position is secularism. Secular ideas are what freedom of religion is based on. Many Muslims I have met appreciate this, and do not try to undermine it.
    Ok, but you gotta realise it is frustrating sometimes, especially when you buy something and then its not halal . Plus theres a lot of very dodgy halal certification companies like hfa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    That has no relevance to what i quoted.

Just because somebody disagrees with you it does not mean that they are limiting your freedom to follow your religion.
    Fair enough. I don't disagree.

(Original post by niall c)
    Then what was the point of your comment?
    That I don't think his opinion matters.

Most are, however, subject to the Int'l Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, which equally guarantees freedom of religion and of speech. The point stands: if your point was intended to be moral, you'd need to equally attack any violations of the standard you're using, i.e. human rights, in every country. If your point is merely legal, well - apart from undermining hypocrisy, so what?
    Equally? I'm not a particular well-read on this field, but it's quite clear that it is interpreted differently by various countries.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...s#Reservations

However, my argument would be consistent for every country but atm, we're talking about halaal meat and the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Ok, but you gotta realise it is frustrating sometimes, especially when you buy something and then its not halal . Plus theres a lot of very dodgy halal certification companies like hfa.
    Well the vegetarians manage it, so it can't be that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    Well the vegetarians manage it, so it can't be that hard.
    Trust me it is, because some E numbers have animal in them, but the food is still labelled vegatarian :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Surely you could have given them to somebody rather than waste the M&M goodness :eek:
    Yeah usually if we've bought something by accident my dad will give them to his Polish friend's kid son but I'd already opened the packet of M&M's. Feel bad giving someone opened stuff so I just threw them. Don't have any non-muslim neighbours or anything either. I got negged for that post

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.