• View Poll Results: Should cannabis be legalised
    Yes
    80.98%
    No
    15.95%
    Maybe
    3.07%

ReputationRep:
    At least consumers would stop financing gangs and such when buying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobSon)
    Bottom line: We should be able to choose what we put into our own bodies, whether for medicinal or recreational purposes.

The only person who can tell me what I can and can't put into my own body is me.
    So you know better than the doctor and health experts? Ok whatever lol:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hspratt)
    You sir need to do your research before talking 100% pure bull****. Your post angered me. The main reason which being your lack of knowledge on the subject. Also how small minded you are and how you clearly accept any bull**** which the media/government feed you. Having an individual opinion wont kill you.
    Haha **** head, got your knickers in a twist little boy. Do me a favour and put the dummy back in your mouth and throw the toys back in whist you're at it. I got most of my RESEARCH from a reliable source in the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotiona...cannabis.shtml

What are you? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben Butler)
    So you know better than the doctor and health experts? Ok whatever lol:rolleyes:
    The bottom line is that we should be able to chose what is put in to our bodies.

What part of that don't you understand? It implies we know the health risks and are still willing to do it because we enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Haha **** head, got your knickers in a twist little boy. Do me a favour and put the dummy back in your mouth and throw the toys back in whist you're at it. I got most of my RESEARCH from a reliable source in the BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/emotiona...cannabis.shtml

What are you? Lol
    And do some proper research too ffs. The BBC aren't exactly well known for their expertise on cannabis and other popular drugs are they?

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiettt)
    causes paranoia??? rubbish, its actually contains a chemical called CBD which is used to counteract brain damage.
    CBD is pretty much nonexistant in street strains of cannabis as it has been bred out to allow higher levels of THC. If the govt. controlled production though, they could increase the amount of CBD found in cannabis.

Edit: I'm sorry for the triple post.

ReputationRep:

What are you? Lol
    Oh nice one, any more childish comments would be greatly appreciated. As I said before you clearly accept any bull**** which the media feed you. The government block any information from the BBC that they do not want the public to know so this is obviously not a fair or reliable source since it is only one sided. If the government have prohibited the use of cannabis and have made it illegal then they are clearly not going to allow the BBC to produce positive facts about the drug even if they are true. What am I? Just a guy who lovesssss to get high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reml)
    No, the body is a Temple of the Holy Spirit, and drugs ruin the temple god has given us
    I'm going to presume you don't:

- Drink alchol
    - Smoke cigs
    - Take pain killers/other medicine/drugs
    - Eat anything slightly unhealthy.

Am I wrong or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    helps the economy.
    everyone will feel a lot better.
    and to throw in some religion 'cannabis is a plant, god made plants'
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    Nobson is not saying they know better than a doctor or health expert but is simply saying that everyone has the right to treat their bodies how they like. Please read comments properly before quoting them.

ReputationRep:
    And? It's my choice whether I want to or not.

I could put a hot iron on my chest. Does that mean we should campaign to ban all irons? No.

I got most of my RESEARCH from a reliable source in the BBC.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Which health experts are we exactly talking about here?

Also, just because cannabis poses some harm doesn't automatically mean that it is sufficient harm to warrant it being illegal with as severe penalties as we currently have in this country?

No rational argument justifies its prohibition.

There are some reasons for its prohibition; but none relate to the health of individuals.

ReputationRep:
    I also think it's rather easy to blame the media. The media filter news to the public as accurately as possible. If you think some of the scientific facts are distorted then maybe you should blame the scientists for providing them with inadequate information and facts. I'm a Journalism student btw.
    :rofl:

Impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrengineer)
    There won't be a massive influx of cash for the government, as if they tax it too high, people will just grow it themselves.
    It's a huge amount of effort to grow your own weed, and it costs a lot of money to buy equipment and then buy the big lights and the ventilation and keep it all running. For personal use it's generally not worth it financially (I've never grown my own, but I'd imagine that is the case).

The truth is that if the Government legally imported or grew the stuff, the costs would go down. When you buy £20 of weed, most of that money goes to the 'risk factor' of obtaining and dealing an illegal substance. If it was grown in this country and dealt legally, the cost would probably be insignificant, and so tax could still be 100% and you'd be buying weed for the same price. And you'd always know it was the same quality all the time, which is a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hurr Durr)
    Recent research has shown that if you smoke weed regularly then you DO increase the CHANCES of developing mental illness later in life. However, some people are more susceptible to it than others.
    In that case, we're inviting even more work for the NHS in future.

I'm only in favour of the tax money that legalising cannabis would bring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fibrebiz)
    In that case, we're inviting even more work for the NHS in future.

I'm only in favour of the tax money that legalising cannabis would bring.
    My most conservative estimates put it at £1bn per annum in raised tax.
    Else, it could be worth up to £4bn IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. No doubt about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fumblenuts91)
    Provide a legitimate source and then maybe i'll believe it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12616543
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12617495

(Original post by kevR94)
    Like alcohol? You arent allowed to smoke it on the streets etc. And also with alcohol, there are health problems.
    Cannabis is far more potent than alcohol - one blunt is more likely to induce an effect on someone than one beer.

Also, the idea that the drug could be smoked behind closed doors is more likely to be accepted by the general public than letting people smoke it on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    I think it should be legal but that if we make it legal we should increase the amount of resources we put into helping those who become addicted or suffer side effects, as well as making sure people know it can be unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. Keeping the substance underground has:

a) made many teenagers criminals who, in the UK will not be able to wipe it from their record. For simply possessing minimal amounts.

b) merged the soft and hard drug market together. Many drug dealers who sell marijuana also sell harder drugs like cocaine. It's ironic that an argument against legalisation is the gateway theory, however the only reason why this may be true is down to the merging of the two markets. In a controlled environment which sells only marijuana, this will not be possible.

c) funds from illegal grow operations contribute to human trafficking, illegal arms trades, etc.

and many many more problems.

With legalisation and taxation, a huge amount of tax revenue will be generated. Marijuana is not physically addictive, you cannot overdose and it poses little health risks (especially when using vapor or edibles). The Dutch system has demonstrated that this can be possible, and there is a chance that within a few months Ontario, Canada will be the next place to legalise.

Additionally the production of hemp has countless uses, google them as it's quite ridiculous how useful hemp really is.

I recommend that those against legalisation watch 'The Union' which all parts are available on Youtube, starting with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoK6NztH3eQ
    I ask that you keep an open mind, and so will I. Which is why I will gladly watch/read any anti-legalisation material that anyone offers.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.