Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I apply next year with these grades or just stick with it? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted AAB by my teachers (as you can see from my sig) but I did the best you can do in January and my predicted grades are now A*A*A. My top choice is Psychology at Southampton for AAB, if I achieve A*A*A, do I stick with SOTON or apply next year?

I've thought about adjustment but only 400 people got places last year, not to mention I'll be applying to a competitive course and university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I was predicted AAB by my teachers (as you can see from my sig) but I did the best you can do in January and my predicted grades are now A*A*A. My top choice is Psychology at Southampton for AAB, if I achieve A*A*A, do I stick with SOTON or apply next year?

I've thought about adjustment but only 400 people got places last year, not to mention I'll be applying to a competitive course and university.
    Two words:
    Fee rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    Two words:
    Fee rise.
    I know. Perhaps I'll just go for adjustment and if that doesn't work stick with it. :bebored:

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty tough.. I would probably re-apply and just take the fee hit, given that you're likely to get into most courses with three A*'s. It's a personal choice though, if you feel you'll be happy at Soton, why not? It's a great uni.

ReputationRep:
    Adjustment hardly ever works for top universities. I'd drop out and reapply if I get grades that are that good (which I may ) New fees aren't that significant if you really have you're heart set on a different university; if soton is fine then I wouldn't bother, but you could probably have a chance at the top 5 with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booom)
    It's pretty tough.. I would probably re-apply and just take the fee hit, given that you're likely to get into most courses with three A*'s. It's a personal choice though, if you feel you'll be happy at Soton, why not? It's a great uni.
    Perhaps if I get three A* grades I'll re-apply... I'll just focus on my exams for the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I know. Perhaps I'll just go for adjustment and if that doesn't work stick with it. :bebored:
    Mmm, yeah... Though southampton is a brilliant uni. where would you apply next year?

ReputationRep:
    Did you only apply to Southampton because you thought it was the best you could hope for with your predicted grades, or do you genuinely love the uni and the course? Don't feel you have to go for a more 'prestigious' uni just because you have the grades - I'd only recommend that you reapply if you know there's a university you want to go to instead of Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaskade)
    Mmm, yeah... Though southampton is a brilliant uni. where would you apply next year?
    I would apply to Oxford or Cambridge, Exeter, Southampton (again), Warwick, UCL and Bristol.

EDIT: Well, five of those anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    Did you only apply to Southampton because you thought it was the best you could hope for with your predicted grades, or do you genuinely love the uni and the course? Don't feel you have to go for a more 'prestigious' uni just because you have the grades - I'd only recommend that you reapply if you know there's a university you want to go to instead of Southampton.
    I looked at my predicted grades, I then chose the best universities I could go for, I then chose between those. I know I would enjoy SOTON, just the prospect I could go to a more 'prestigious' uni is bugging me.

ReputationRep:
    you gotta weigh it up, 3k for x so many years at soton or 9k for x so many years at a potenntial place at oxbridge
    thats a tough one

ReputationRep:
    I would apply to Oxford or Cambridge, Exeter, Southampton (again), Warwick, UCL and Bristol.
    Remember that there's no guarantee that you would get into Oxford or Cambridge even with 3 A*s. Many people don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Remember that there's no guarantee that you would get into Oxford or Cambridge even with 3 A*s. Many people don't.
    I know, that's what would suck. I'm not amazing at interviews either so

ReputationRep:

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched...

Yes, you did well in Jan. Yes, you could get A*A*A*. But it is still possible you get BBB or less. Do not drop out of UCAS now, don't do anything until you recieve your grades this August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte-rose)

Yes, you did well in Jan. Yes, you could get A*A*A*. But it is still possible you get BBB or less. Do not drop out of UCAS now, don't do anything until you recieve your grades this August.
    V. true.

ReputationRep:

I completely agree with you. If I were to drop out of UCAS I would only do it after receiving my grades. The chances are I won't get below C's, which is what I needs for A's but anything can happen. I still dread the 40 mark essay question in Geography, if I misinterpret that I've practically failed the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with you. If I were to drop out of UCAS I would only do it after receiving my grades. The chances are I won't get below C's, which is what I needs for A's but anything can happen. I still dread the 40 mark essay question in Geography, if I misinterpret that I've practically failed the exam.
    Ok, you seem very sensible so I'll give you a few facts to think about...

- You get your tuition fees back if you quit your university before a certain date.
    - You can be enrolled at a university but also apply via UCAS as an independant candidate with a referee from your college/6th form.
    - You don't lose anything financially except rent, and even then you've gained some experience from university life.

Just some things to consider... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you seem very sensible so I'll give you a few facts to think about...

- You get your tuition fees back if you quit your university before a certain date.
    - You can be enrolled at a university but also apply via UCAS as an independant candidate with a referee from your college/6th form.
    - You don't lose anything financially except rent, and even then you've gained some experience from university life.

Just some things to consider... :rolleyes:
    Thanks, I didn't know about that

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.