The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rocketeeer
the question where they asked for the characteristics of kaon which make them strange,
i see answers like "they have strange quark" but is it really a characteristic?
i put "they are created through strong interaction but decay through weak interaction, and that they are relatively long-lived"
i'm really unsure about this one though..

while thats a characteristic its not a unique one, non strange particles are also created through the strong and decay through the weak, baryons have this characteristic and a lot of baryons are not strange.
I put that strange particles include pie mesons in the decay and i agree, having a strange quark is not really a characteristic.
Reply 181
Original post by Limitless
I wrote about the creating via strong interaction and decaying via weak. but it seemed to long at it said ONE characteristic so I changed it to strange quark.

You forget AQA only mark positively:wink: Even if it explicitly says ONE writing more does no harm. Last year a question was 'Name TWO properties that are conserved in this collision.' One of my friends listed about 8 (including some ridiculous ones i.e temperature) and got the two marks:confused: Beggars belief:rolleyes:
anyone? .........
Reply 183
ohhh.. yeah i put down 2 regardless, too insecure..
but is "having a strange quark" a characteristic?

I thought AQA are really picky on this thought of thing. I've been told if ask for one characteristic and you right two only the first one gets mark.
Original post by rub em out
while thats a characteristic its not a unique one, non strange particles are also created through the strong and decay through the weak, baryons have this characteristic and a lot of baryons are not strange.
I put that strange particles include pie mesons in the decay and i agree, having a strange quark is not really a characteristic.

yeah that's why im not sure, this characteristic is not an exclusive one
what about "relatively long-lived" i remember my physics teacher saying sth about that
although the book actually referred to them as "short-lived" particles.. :frown:

The book said "these properties of K mesons led to them being called strange particles"
If you're asked to list one thing, and you list either:

one right thing and one wrong thing
two right things and one wrong thing
one right thing and 2+ wrong things

Then don't see how they could give you the mark. However if you list two right things then you probably would.

And for that question I really believe the answer was related to the strange quark because the part before asked about the quarks in protons and neutrons, and parts of the same question are often related in some way.
Reply 186
For the characteristic of the strange particle I put: They have the property of strangeness associate with them.
Is that fine?
Reply 187
Original post by hwalker37
You forget AQA only mark positively:wink: Even if it explicitly says ONE writing more does no harm. Last year a question was 'Name TWO properties that are conserved in this collision.' One of my friends listed about 8 (including some ridiculous ones i.e temperature) and got the two marks:confused: Beggars belief:rolleyes:

AQA mark inconsistently. Some are really generous markers others are just harsh. Question worded in a really stupid manner. I hate AQA.
Well I liked it, annoyed no photoelectric effect but the grade boundaries AQA give are always laughable (62 for 120ums !?). Is anyone going to post a mark scheme of some sort ? only question im aware I got wrong was the 'what interaction is not possible' is because Im an idiot =/ and cant read a data sheet. The 'tricky' or 'discrimination' questions in the paper will probably be the 'where does the electron come from' (actually got this right) the vague one on strangeness.
What do people think the marks in the 6 mark question will be for ? I would say -
- bombarding electrons 'excite' atomic electrons in vapour
- They raise to 'higher discrete energy levels'
- The 'de-excite' and cascade down the levels.
- Each transition has an exact value E=E1-E2 (or whatever it was)
- Each transition emits a photon of exact energy
- Each photon corrosponds to an exact freqency E=hf
- Each freqenecy corrosponds to a colour hence we get discrete lines.

Anything else ? lol did we need to 'prove' that 3 was r, because I did this then plugged it in to get 5, was it needed to show it was 3 in the first place ?
Actually the book also said sth about "They were called strange particles after investigations showed that the V tracks decay into pie mesons only, or into pie mesons and protons"
i think the right answer is "they always directly decay into pie mesons"
Reply 190
Original post by A level Az
If you're asked to list one thing, and you list either:

one right thing and one wrong thing
two right things and one wrong thing
one right thing and 2+ wrong things

Then don't see how they could give you the mark. However if you list two right things then you probably would.

And for that question I really believe the answer was related to the strange quark because the part before asked about the quarks in protons and neutrons, and parts of the same question are often related in some way.

1 right thing is enough :smile: The only exception I've seen is if something directly contradicts the right answer. E.g 'Give one characteristic of an electron' Basically if you say an electron is both positively and negatively charged you would be wrong, however, if you say it is negatively charged and has an unusual attraction to chickens you would be correct and get the mark :biggrin:
Original post by Limitless
I thought AQA are really picky on this thought of thing. I've been told if ask for one characteristic and you right two only the first one gets mark.

then its the "relatively long-lived" one :s-smilie:
Reply 192
then its the "relatively long-lived" one :s-smilie:

I'm confused. :s-smilie:. I hate it can't wait to drop it next year.
What was question 3? I can't remember it and I'm beginning to think I missed a question D:
Reply 194
Original post by bubblebuddy
What was question 3? I can't remember it and I'm beginning to think I missed a question D:

Dunno. I've got the attention span of a relatively short lived antiparticle.
i thought proton is most stable hadron :s-smilie:

i got 4v, not 2 for the last 1, would i lose 1 mark?
Reply 196
Original post by bubblebuddy

it was the one with the feynman diagram and you had to state what how the atom decayed into argon etc....
Reply 197
Original post by hwalker37
1 right thing is enough :smile: The only exception I've seen is if something directly contradicts the right answer. E.g 'Give one characteristic of an electron' Basically if you say an electron is both positively and negatively charged you would be wrong, however, if you say it is negatively charged and has an unusual attraction to chickens you would be correct and get the mark :biggrin:

Electron + Chicken = Chicken capture. Duhh.
Original post by biologyunit1may16
i thought proton is most stable hadron :s-smilie:

i got 4v, not 2 for the last 1, would i lose 1 mark?

I swear proton is :/

damn i would be lucky if i got a C in this paper
Reply 199
Proton IS the most stable Baryon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending