The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

has anyone got the full paper/ full mark scheme, i wanna check that what i did was right coz tbh this exam was pretty piss
Original post by questionandanswer
Questions I can remember:
1. Proton , Neutron
2. The second equation can't happen -lepton number not conserved
3 X is a baryon as a to conserve baryon number
4. Specific charge was 4.79x10^7 Ckg-1
5. 6 marker on excitation of atoms
6. Ionisation is min energy required to remove electron from atom in a gaseous state
7. Internal resistance was 0.488ohms
8. Power was 0.355W
9. 5ohms was total resistance
10. Proof that resistors were 3
11. 1.33A
12. 2V
13 emf=1.52V
14. Neutrino needed to preserve lepton number
15. Electron capture

Any more?

How sureare you power was 0.355W ? because i got that and rounded to 0.36w. Its the only numerical answer I was concerned with.
I'm fairly sure it was the right answer, just not sure of sig fig
Original post by joe5494

Original post by joe5494
didn't you have to prove resistance was 5?
as it was
1/(1/3 +1/6) +3
is 5 :smile:

i did that! :smile:
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
Is anyone aware if AQA mark down for significant figures?

yes they do, but only on the questions that specifically state 'to an appropriate degree of accuracy'
for the feynman diagram i put a photon symbol for the exchange particle, is this right or not?
Reply 446
Original post by maths134
How sureare you power was 0.355W ? because i got that and rounded to 0.36w. Its the only numerical answer I was concerned with.

dont think they will be too bothered about sig fig.. i cant remember them asking to an appropiate number of sig figs... or did they? :tongue:
Original post by Msd27

Original post by Msd27
Okay so lepton number has to be conserved in the interaction.... lepton number on right hand side = 0 therefor the lepton number on righthand side has to also equal 0 therefor as a positron is emmited that has a lepton number -1 therefor the other particle has to have lepton number +1 therefor electron neutrino not anti electron neutrino :biggrin:

what about charge? :smile:
Some of the data was 3sf, so I did 3

Also: the exchange particle was a W+ boson
I'm fairly sure it was the right answer, just not sure of sig fig

how did u calculate it. I realised u could just do P=.... at the end and in the exam but did it quite long winded lol. Basically used the I=Q/T equation from the question before. Divided that by 15 to get coloumbs per second. Then used my internal resistance and the current given to calculate V (V=IR). Then used all of this in the V=W/Q. hmm I did get that answer tho lol
Original post by harrywhiterose

for the feynman diagram i put a photon symbol for the exchange particle, is this right or not?

i think it was a W+ boson, im not sure :smile:

Wrong it was a W+
Original post by littleprecious

Neutrinos and antineutrinos aren't charged so they dont come into it

(side note: as they're not charged, they're very difficult to detect)
Original post by maths134
how did u calculate it. I realised u could just do P=.... at the end and in the exam but did it quite long winded lol. Basically used the I=Q/T equation from the question before. Divided that by 15 to get coloumbs per second. Then used my internal resistance and the current given to calculate V (V=IR). Then used all of this in the V=W/Q. hmm I did get that answer tho lol

P=IsquaredxR
0.89squared x 0.448
Original post by Alex J

Original post by Alex J
for the quality of a strangeness i put: "a strance particle has a non-zero value for strangeness"

i put that strangeness is only conserved in strong reaction, not sure if thats right tho :smile:
P=IsquaredxR
0.89squared x 0.448

now you see, this would have saved me a great amount of time. I believe my method is still valid however.
ok its just 1 mark anyway haha, and 2 more things, what did u put for the 6 mark question, and what did u put in the argon thingy with the positron emmision or summet ???
Reply 457
Original post by littleprecious

both the electron neutrino and electron anti-neutrino are uncharged therefor you cant use charge conservation law to decide which one it should be :frown:
ok its just 1 mark anyway haha, and 2 more things, what did u put for the 6 mark question, and what did u put in the argon thingy with the positron emmision or summet ???

go to my thread, ive made a mark scheme I believe to be correct. Check there.
What was the I value for that question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending