The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Electron hits atom
Gives orbital electron energy
Orbital electron moves to higher energy level
As it moves down it release a photon with an energy equal to hf
The fact that we only see line spectra instead of a continuous spectrum shows that there must be discrete energy levels

Not sure what is on the Mark scheme though
cheerz guys
Original post by questionandanswer
Electron hits atom
Gives orbital electron energy
Orbital electron moves to higher energy level
As it moves down it release a photon with an energy equal to hf
The fact that we only see line spectra instead of a continuous spectrum shows that there must be discrete energy levels

Not sure what is on the Mark scheme though

Excitation perhaps as a key work.
Original post by maths134
Excitation perhaps as a key work.

Oh god , I think I forgot to put that
Reply 464
Original post by frenchie.b
What was the neutral particle that decayed. question oneeeee

sigma with zero charge
What do you think 100UMS will be?
Oh god , I think I forgot to put that

The thing with science is you can describe something in so much detail and forget a key word... *sigh* anyway probably only a mark, depending on 'de-excitation' being key.
Reply 467
Original post by Dizzy in my Head
I got baryon, too, as the baryon number would not be conserved if it wasn't. :smile:

it was sigma with no charge. baryon is right to make the interaction conserved
The thing with science is you can describe something in so much detail and forget a key word... *sigh* anyway probably only a mark, depending on 'de-excitation' being key.

I'm always taught stuff in lots of detail as my school want to "teach us the subject, not just just pass an exam" and then any extra knowledge won't get a mark whereas one key word will :/
I'm always taught stuff in lots of detail as my school want to "teach us the subject, not just just pass an exam" and then any extra knowledge won't get a mark whereas one key word will :/

Yeh I get what your saying, its really annoying when you 'understand' it and others dont and simply put said key word and get the mark.
Reply 470
what was x + how many marks does the power dissipated is worth. i did energy insead :frown:
Reply 471
how many mark was a stable hardon worth missed that out( what page was this question on )
isa are marked harshly because of how people do. So 35/50 could be a D/best a C. So its likely to be around 42 ums, if u do get 80 ums and then 120 then its an A. But its looking unlikely because 80 ums seems optimistic for ur raw score.

but there is still hope right? =S lol, im really planning on doing 8 hours a day for unit 2 during half term, i want to get top ums for this unit really badly, and I already find it to be my strongest topic =/ hopefully I just scrap an A if not retake unit 1 lol
Original post by gids
what was x + how many marks does the power dissipated is worth. i did energy insead :frown:

power=energy/time... since time = 1 second, then surely power=energy in this case?
Reply 474
Original post by number23
power=energy/time... since time = 1 second, then surely power=energy in this case?

how many mark was it worth for the question
Original post by gids
how many mark was it worth for the question

2marks
Original post by gids
it was sigma with no charge. baryon is right to make the interaction conserved

No, I'm sure it was baryon - loads of people have agreed with me. There was a proton on the right hand side and nothing else, so there must be one on the other side to conserve it.
Reply 477
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
2marks

thanks yesss!!!. what baryon did you put for x and what page was the question of the stable hadron and how many marks was that?
Reply 478
Original post by Dizzy in my Head
No, I'm sure it was baryon - loads of people have agreed with me. There was a proton on the right hand side and nothing else, so there must be one on the other side to conserve it.

sigma is a baryon + proton does not have a neutral charge
Original post by number23

essentialy, itjust took longer to work out the 'energy' because you needed LOTS of equations... as I found out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending