Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Are you resitting this unit?
    YES!
    45.30%
    NO!
    54.70%

ReputationRep:
    guys, how do you work out specific charge for an ion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notsocleverstudent)
    guys, how do you work out specific charge for an ion?
    0 + #of electrons gained x (-1.6x10^-19)
    # of nucleons x (1.67x10-27)

I'm pretty sure that's it, obviously if you lost electrons the top value would be positive (losing one electron is gaining -1 electrons). Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jilebinator)
    on the jan 2011 paper question 6 (d) (i) and (ii) should'nt it be the otherway around. i though the current is the same in series and split in parrallel... :confused:
    nope because in series, you'll have two filaments so the resistance will be DOUBLE and hence the current will be less. while when they're in parallel, the total resistance will be less so the current passing through will be higher.

idk if I explained that well, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aarynn)
    0 + #of electrons gained x (-1.6x10^-19)
    # of nucleons x (1.67x10-27)
    why 0 + ? o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porkk)
    why 0 + ? o.O
    Don't know XD Not necessary but it still works. Good point

ReputationRep:
    need some help with oscilloscopes any one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAEGER.)
    need some help with oscilloscopes any one!
    What about them?
    They're basically just glorified voltmeters, and the trace is made by an electron beam moving across the screen.
    - Time base controls how fast the beam is moved, and the vertical heigh of the trace shows the input voltage.
    - The typical wave pattern shows AC current, obviously - DC would just be a straight line.
    - Distance between peaks = time period, and frequency = 1/time period
    - Peak voltage = the highest voltage = half the total maximum height, i.e. from the 0 line up to a peak but not from a trough to a peak.
    - An AC supply with a peak voltage of 2V will be below 2V for most of the time, so its power output won't be as high as a 2V DC supply.
    - rms Voltage is used to average the AC voltage, as the positive and negative values will cancel each other out.
    - rms Voltage = the peak voltage divided by root2.
    - rms Current = the same.
    Power = Vrms x Irms
    - Doesn't matter for resistance as peak values will produce the same answer.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's like 9 hours til the exam, but if anyone has specific questions on stuff please feel free to email me at [email protected] or even add me on msn, it's useful revision for me!

ReputationRep:
    What happens to the emf of cells connected in parallel? so like this:

consider // as one cell.

____//_____
    |___//_____|
    |___//_____|

Erm lets say the emf of the first one at the top is 2V, then 3V and the bottom one 5V. What is the overall emf of across cells?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalp)
    What happens to the emf of cells connected in parallel? so like this:

consider // as one cell.

____//_____
    |___//_____|
    |___//_____|

Erm lets say the emf of the first one at the top is 2V, then 3V and the bottom one 5V. What is the overall emf of across cells?
    Treat it the same as potential difference(voltage)

So it would be the p.d through the source when no current flows sooooo

You wouldnt get 3 different values for voltage anyway, only 1 since potential difference will stay the same

ReputationRep:
    How did people find it?
    Most of it was OK I thought except no one had ever taught me about electron capture :\

ReputationRep:
    From all of us a CH, WE'VE FAILED!

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundary thoughts?
    50/70 for an A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    Grade boundary thoughts?
    50/70 for an A?
    It was an easy paper, so I think higher than that for an A. Possibly 56/80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenProject)
    It was an easy paper, so I think higher than that for an A. Possibly 56/80.
    It would never be that high, and I thought it was no harder or easier than most past papers, of which the grade boundaries range from 50-53.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Probably not the place to post this, but where else am i goona get so many people who have done the course? Basically, do you think that you could learn the whole of the AS course in 6 weeks? Without teachers. Just textbooks, past papers and a bit of online help. Im really gonna try this so please let me know your opinions. Also, what are the physics ISA's like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaindaclub)
    Hey guys. Probably not the place to post this, but where else am i goona get so many people who have done the course? Basically, do you think that you could learn the whole of the AS course in 6 weeks? Without teachers. Just textbooks, past papers and a bit of online help. Im really gonna try this so please let me know your opinions. Also, what are the physics ISA's like?
    Yes, you could do that. The AS syllabus is fairly easy. Experiment details are in the AS AQA textbook, as well as the ISA stuff (formulae to learn) which is in the back.

ReputationRep:
    could someone post up the answers, or what they got for this paper? if anyone has the original paper, that would be useful too.

i didnt think it was too bad, 51/70 for an A maybe. hopefully its lower than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beelz)
    It would never be that high, and I thought it was no harder or easier than most past papers, of which the grade boundaries range from 50-53.
    I'll take your word for it. This is the first time I've actually revised for it, so that could be why I think it was easier than the previous one.

ReputationRep:
    I am really worried cause I found it good.

That probably means I have failed, lol.

The last electricty question was hard.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.