Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think learners with learning difficulties should be taught by teachers that have learning difficulties? if yes why? if no why?

ReputationRep:
    How the hell...

ReputationRep:
    What on Earth made you come to that idea? The mind boggles...

ReputationRep:
    Define 'learning difficulties'? Because if you're including dyslexics in that catagory, dyslexic teachers teaching dyslexic children will probably just make their problem worse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastChanceLucy)
    Define 'learning difficulties'? Because if you're including dyslexics in that catagory, dyslexic teachers teaching dyslexic children will probably just make their problem worse
    Hi Lucy thanks for replying
    I'm doing this for my research proposal for my Certificate in Education course; I have dyspraxia but have worked with learners that have dyspraxia, and they say that "you’re the only one who understands their needs and knows how to find strategies that are effective for their needs". There is also research that supports this but not enough is done to support it so I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the subject.

(Effective Inclusion - Teachers with Learning Difficulties or Disabilities, Teachers TV)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    What on Earth made you come to that idea? The mind boggles...
    Hi Daisy thanks for replying
    I'm doing this for my research proposal for my Certificate in Education course; I have dyspraxia but have worked with learners that have dyspraxia, and they say that you’re the only one who understands their needs and knows how to find strategies that are effective for their needs. There is also research that supports this but not enough is done to support it so I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Having a condition hopefully enables a person to empathise with others but doesn't necessarily make them a good teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mummyperson)
    Having a condition hopefully enables a person to empathise with others but doesn't necessarily make them a good teacher
    Hi that is a very good point that you made, are you a teacher? What makes a good teacher? This is of course always subjective, some people might say you would not let the visually impaired, follow the visually impaired would you? But you would if they had a guide dog, in a similar way most teachers with Specific learning difficulties (SPLDs,) would have a computer with software that can help them communicate, just as effectively as someone without a specific learning disability, in the same way a guide dog can help the visually impaired.

Once we remove the obstacles that impair the teacher then this could make it simpler to remove the obstacles that impair the learner.
    The point I'm failing to make is; if learners with SPLD are to find ways of using strategies that can help them overcome their obstacles, wouldn't a teacher who has LD, be best place to help them overcome their boundaries to learning?

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised to find that the educational psychologist who assessed me for dyslexia, had dyslexia herself. (I was diagnosed with dyspraxia and dyscalculia).

I would argue that these are simply the only people who could understand such a condition. There's no words to explain the blankness you get when looking at a set of numbers, or the weirdness when you realised you've just written down something completely strange.

But that isn't to say they would be the best teachers.... Certainly they would be the best helpers, and the easiest to relate to.

ReputationRep:
    A teacher who specializes in teaching people with learning difficulties through studying would, IMO, be better than a teacher with learning difficulties, because while a teacher with learning difficulties may understand the pupil better, their learning difficulties may exacerbate those of the pupil, whereas a teacher specialized in teaching learning difficulties would, presumably, have some understanding of life with learning difficulties from their studies, and would also know ways of teaching the pupil that would help them overcome some of the obstacles their learning difficulties would pose.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.