Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am on the final year of my degree and I have to write a literature review about a 'current issue in education', its meant to be about 6000+ words!!

I have 2 ideas:
    + How Science Works
    + Practical work in the classroom

I'm not really sure what topic to write about...

Anyone help me out on this??-other issue topics would be welcomed!
    Much appreciated thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much anything could be considered a current issue. Do you not have lectures to draw upon?

Use of ICT in science in schools, science for scientific literacy, field work in science in schools, how science is communicated, SEN. Or you could go down the pick something from the news route, e.g. academies, the English bacc, compulsory post 16 education.

ReputationRep:
    There really is numerous issues in education at the minute. There's also talk of making MFL compulsory from an early age, phonics, the lack of funding for PE...as someone said also lack of funding for SEN.

Try reading these for some ideas

http://www.tes.co.uk/publications.aspx?navcode=91

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. Its kinda an independent mod but we do get tutorials if we wish, I went for tutorial yesterday. Doing it on creativity in the classroom, going onto creativity in Science which is my subject area.
    The TES and Guardian are good for articles, thanks Ladylisa! x

ReputationRep:
    - The "EBac"
    - Free schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandyr)
    Hello,

I am on the final year of my degree and I have to write a literature review about a 'current issue in education', its meant to be about 6000+ words!!

I have 2 ideas:
    + How Science Works
    + Practical work in the classroom

I'm not really sure what topic to write about...

Anyone help me out on this??-other issue topics would be welcomed!
    Much appreciated thanks!!
    Are these really topical issues in education at the moment? Surely the Blackburn strike highlights the issue of discipline in classrooms as being of more interest? Or the recent changes to EMA?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Are these really topical issues in education at the moment?
    How Science Works was introduced in 2006 and will probably be dumped from the National Curriculum when the new Programmes of Study are issued next year.

Practical work in the classroom has been examined for 100 years.

I would not consider these issues topical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    How Science Works was introduced in 2006 and will probably be dumped from the National Curriculum when the new Programmes of Study are issued next year.

Practical work in the classroom has been examined for 100 years.
    So not exactly topical then?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    So not exactly topical then?
    Too quick for your own good. See above.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking at Science then maybe you could look at the difference between the education and facilities received in public schools as opposed to that in state schools. For example public schools are likely to have better equipment/labs so their kinaesthetic learning is more likely to be approached whereas in a state school, material funding is low so they have to be taught with alternate methods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Too quick for your own good. See above.
    hehe. I must change my user name to speedy bloke. Or perhaps you could become Mr Edit.

ReputationRep:
    okies, yea thanks I kinda gather that HSW and practical work arent exactly current topical issues.

I'm gona write about creativity in the classroom and within lessons now lyk, just having slight prob with structuring it!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    okies, yea thanks I kinda gather that HSW and practical work arent exactly current topical issues.

I'm gona write about creativity in the classroom and within lessons now lyk, just having slight prob with structuring it!
    Again, why do you think that is topical?

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

write a literature review about a 'current issue in education', i
    You need to read the question more carefully; the clues are always there. The key words in this case are:

1. literature review (obvious, I trust)

2. current (i.e. now)

3. issue (i.e matter of great importance that is debated, potentially controversial)

4. education (obvious)

From your posts here, you seem to be ignoring numbers 2 and 3.

ReputationRep:
    yes I kinda thought creativity is always in the news? for example it has been considered that pupils are being turned off science and this has led to studies being carried out in the area lyk.

ReputationRep:
    I cbf to come up with something, but the TED talks, especially the ones on education, might be a good starting point for ideas:

http://www.ted.com/

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.