Turn on thread page Beta

Should we tax public schools? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you tax public schools?
    Yes
    16.67%
    No
    83.33%
    Not sure
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Should the fees for public/private schools be taxed, or should they keep their charity status?

My personal opinion is not, for several reasons:

1) it would further widen splits in society. Taxes would force the prices of schools up, making them even more elitist institutions, and making them unavailable for middle/lower sections of society. The gap between the privately educated and state educated would widen.

2) Financially, not as ideal as it would seem. If the prices were raised, less people could afford public schools, meaning that more children would have to attend the state sector. This would then require either further investment into education (from a non-infinite reserve), or there would be less money to go around, forcing the quality of education in the state sector down and class sizes up.

3) Private schools at current have to tick several boxes to keep their charity status. They cannot turn a profit. If they were forced to pay tax they would class as a business, meaning that profits in the short term could be raised. The private sector would turn (even more) into a market. Secondly, they have to provide a required number of free, means-tested bursaries(dependant on school size) to people from poorer backgrounds, as well as classes open to the public outside of school hours. Taxing them means they would no longer have to provide these services. This would (effectively) amount to a cut: raising more money for the treasury at the expense of services to society.

I think taxing these schools would be a classic case of ‘cutting off your nose to spite your face’, as it would place more strain on the state system and give less people the choice of how to educate their children.

Debate welcomed. This is not intended to start a class war.

(Sorry for the long post)

ReputationRep:
    No
    But they should have their charitable status removed.

ReputationRep:
    Public schools should not be called public since it's actually private.

ReputationRep:
    No. They are charitable organisations which do a great deal of good. Then again, I'm not really convinced that there should be a different tax and organisational regime for charities.

(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    No
    But they should have their charitable status removed.
    I think you've failed to understand... well, anything.

ReputationRep:
    seeing as most private schools are registered charities...no...

Most private schools don't make any profit (I say most as some, although a very small minority, aren't charities), any profit they do make is used to pay for bursaries for students from more disadvantaged backgrounds to attend... my school deliberately overcharges in order to pay for more bursaries and scholarships...

Its one of the things they HAVE to do to keep their charity status...

ReputationRep:
    No, because the parents sending them to private schools are already paying full taxes to fund state schools whilst not using the state schools and are lessening the burden on the state sector.

And it's education, it shouldn't be taxed.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.