Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had an offer from LSE for Mathematics and Economics (A*AA) and one from Bath for Accounting and Finance (AAA) and I have no idea which to choose. The Bath course involves a paid year in industry and the possibility of doing an academic exchange for a semester in fourth year and overall looks a lot simpler, whereas LSE's course looks very challenging, however the name is a lot more impressive. Eventually I want to go into investment banking in the city, and I don't know which one will help me more to achieve this.

So yeah. Literally any advice will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    LSE I would imagine would easily be the better choice, but I'm just a noob so ignore me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    LSE hands down.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with LSE personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsadjadi)
    I've had an offer from LSE for Mathematics and Economics (A*AA) and one from Bath for Accounting and Finance (AAA) and I have no idea which to choose. The Bath course involves a paid year in industry and the possibility of doing an academic exchange for a semester in fourth year and overall looks a lot simpler, whereas LSE's course looks very challenging, however the name is a lot more impressive. Eventually I want to go into investment banking in the city, and I don't know which one will help me more to achieve this.

LSE

Although, I'm no expert.

ReputationRep:
    LSE would be the best for IB I think.
    Couldn't you put LSE as your firm and Bath as your insurance if you like them both, then your grades can kind of make the decision for you?

ReputationRep:
    LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Where is 'Im so Academic' with her signature when you need her?

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    LSE definitely. LSE is better than Oxbridge for IB. Go for LSE! It has to be your firm, unless Oxbridge came along, which would create a dilemma. Bath is very respectable but doesn't come close to LSE, you may not get a paid year in industry but LSE holds the highest graduate employment rate with the highest pay on average. I'll say it again... LSE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.2.3.)
    LSE would be the best for IB I think.
    Couldn't you put LSE as your firm and Bath as your insurance if you like them both, then your grades can kind of make the decision for you?
    I did consider this, but I'm not sure if Bath is better or not.. I know LSE sounds impressive, but if the Bath course is more specific to banking it might help me out more?

ReputationRep:
    LSE for the win in IB!

LSE, easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    LSE definitely. LSE is better than Oxbridge for IB. Go for LSE! It has to be your firm, unless Oxbridge came along, which would create a dilemma. Bath is very respectable but doesn't come close to LSE, you may not get a paid year in industry but LSE holds the highest graduate employment rate with the highest pay on average. I'll say it again... LSE!!!
    I didn't know a lot of this, I thought they had the same employment rate - this helped thanks!

ReputationRep:
    LSE hands down.

Yeah it is challenging, but if that's something that will stop you then investment banking isn't for you either. You will have many doors open to you in the finance sector with a degree from LSE, just work hard and overcome the challenge.

ReputationRep:
    I did consider this, but I'm not sure if Bath is better or not.. I know LSE sounds impressive, but if the Bath course is more specific to banking it might help me out more?
    The Bath course isn't more specific to banking, I know people who did that course. The year in industry is decent but you'd be better off at LSE and doing internships.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know a lot of this, I thought they had the same employment rate - this helped thanks!
    If you think about it, it's very logical. The reason they're ontop is because they're at the heart of London, they have many contacts. Believe me you won't have an issue getting a job if you go there, a brilliantly paid on too. I'm pretty sure LSE averages 40k per graduate after 6 months/1 year. And no worries.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that either course would put you at a disadvantage. I'm really not an expert, but they are both mathematical which I think is the main thing. Bath is an excellent uni and the course looks solid but I think LSE has the edge.

ReputationRep:

For investment banking? You'd be crazy not to choose LSE Maths and Econ :eek:

ReputationRep:
    For career, IB or otherwise, choose LSE. It depends how important that is for you.

ReputationRep:
    How weird, I'm studying maths and economics at LSE and my boyfriend's at Bath doing accounting with a year in industry (both first years)!

Comparing our experiences, I would recommend going for LSE. The course at Bath is very good, but maths and economics at LSE is a very, very well-respected course. I can't remember where I read it, but apparently maths and economics has the highest employment rate out of all the undergraduate courses at LSE. It's a very, very good course- accounting at Bath is a good course too, but comparatively LSE is better imo.

The opportunities at LSE are also a lot better. If you're hoping to learn more about jobs in the finance industry, LSE wins hands down- being in the heart of London, LSE definitely has a huge advantage. Banks, firms, companies, etc come to LSE every day to give talks and give you insight about different industries, especially finance. There are talks at Bath too, but far, far less than at LSE.

Comparing degree difficulty, I don't know how difficult Bath is but seeing how much my bf and his friends work it doesn't seem to be too stressful. The first year maths and econ course requires more work but it really isn't that difficult. At LSE most of the maths related courses have similar first years, so everyone's working at around the same level. Apparently after the first year it gets a lot harder for maths and econ, but I can't really say since I haven't experienced it.

Overall, I'd say that LSE's course would definitely be more helpful if you want to go into IB, and the opportunities you get at LSE are a lot better. However, if you don't like a fast-paced and competitive atmosphere, LSE probably isn't the best university for you. Bath is a great university- it's a cute campus university with a very close-knit, relaxed atmosphere, but personally I wouldn't find it stimulating or exciting enough.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any questions about the course or LSE in general

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.