Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am in my third year of Uni and am currently in a 6 person shared house from a private landlord.

The girls were the ones who were in Bristol at the time and they sorted out the signing of the house etc etc.

Well I technically am finished soon as I hand in mky dissertation which is basically the beginning next term and want out of my student house as soon as possible. I have never met my landlord, nor have I signed any tenancy agreement. I have paid a months rent deposit ansd that is all, I have emailed him to ifnd out whether it is in a secure scheme. The girls who signed us up are uselss and havent got a contract between them, and the parents pay for everything so it doesn't really bother them what happens with the money. Where do I legally stand if I say wanted to hold back my last months rent as deposit so that I dont get shafted by the landlord or kept waiting?

As far as I am concerned I could say I dont know how long the tenancy is, and keep the last 2 months of my rent and move out and return keys early.

I maybe will goto citizens advice because seeing as I have no contract oral or written I dont really have to commit much at all do I?

All the best

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to leave so much, do you not get on with your housemates?

If you have no contract, then I don't see what your landlord can do, though he may be a decent person who can't afford to lose out on the rent.

You could advertise to see if you can find a replacement.

Are you up to date with paying your bills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyjimmyjimmy)
    nor have I signed any tenancy agreement.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, thanks for quick response.

I am in no trouble with bills at all we are all on top of it, the joint account we hold for bills still has a great deal in it so no problems there.

I quick simply want to get out of the house as soon as I can really, I havent' enjoyed the social side of Uni since the first year really and my real friends are here at home. I finish early compared to most courses as we need to excavate (archaeology) for a few weeks in the end of May.

Basically I would much rather have a month or two extra rent in my pocket and get back to normal and cut ties with the house. I will clean my room totally down etc and offer to clean communal areas when others want to move out.

Its a real leech to have to spend 322 a month to somewhere you dont really want to be its such a rip off.

So you honestly think if I have no written contract then I can essentially claim I did not know it was a 12 month contract? I have only heard this orally from others and have never met the landlord.

What actions may be take against me? Can he take money from the others?

All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    :facepalm:
    Surely not having signed an agreement is a good thing? Ball is totally in your court unless obviously your landlord is harsh which ours is not.

ReputationRep:
    Surely not having signed an agreement is a good thing? Ball is totally in your court unless obviously your landlord is harsh which ours is not.
    Not really. A tenancy agreement protects the tenant as much as it does the landlord. If he wanted to, he could boot you out of the flat this minute and keep your deposit seeing as legally you don't actually live there.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course yes that is true but I would still be sitting on my money. Of course I buy your point however. We have so little hours these days at uni i could probably have commuted the hour and a half everyday.

However- My name will be listed on the paperwork as he knows my name etc and who I am. I am just saying that I have seen, signed or spoken of an agreement other than what the other girls have told me and they dont have many details.

If he says my deposit is not in a safety scheme, I will be foreced to keep my last months rent as he's is basically going against the law on that. However I want to know whether I can simply pack my things, clean down to a good standard and go without many problems for myself or my housemates. I have searched all the government sites etc but as usual they are unaccessable to most people and dont cater for the variables people experience.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course yes that is true but I would still be sitting on my money. Of course I buy your point however. We have so little hours these days at uni i could probably have commuted the hour and a half everyday.

However- My name will be listed on the paperwork as he knows my name etc and who I am. I am just saying that I have seen, signed or spoken of an agreement other than what the other girls have told me and they dont have many details.

If he says my deposit is not in a safety scheme, I will be foreced to keep my last months rent as he's is basically going against the law on that. However I want to know whether I can simply pack my things, clean down to a good standard and go without many problems for myself or my housemates. I have searched all the government sites etc but as usual they are unaccessable to most people and dont cater for the variables people experience.
    He can do what the **** he wants with your deposit because it's not actually a deposit. You don't have a tenancy agreement. You are not a tenant.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I usually pay a quater of £322 per month soon as I get my loan so I know where I stand. This time I will not pay anything and just sit on it until the last month, if he asks where my rent is I will pay 1 months worth, by then I will be almost finished and just leave? Sound all too uncomplicated. I know that 2 of us havent signed or agreed anything. But English law is so /subjectiveweird that you may have agreed simply by 'being there' without even meeting him or talking.

ReputationRep:
    anybody?

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    Hi !

I am a french student and I will study at Oxford next year (Erasmus). I am interested in living with English housemates next year. I can not help you with your questions of law. But can I replace you in the house next september?

ReputationRep:
    Just leave and he will obviously take the deposit, morally unless he has to spend that deposit on repairs for house there isnt really anything wrong with doing so.

Its his fault as much as yours for not doing an agreement.

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is ask the landlord politely. I've moved out early before, but it did depend on the generosity of the landlord rather than my legal entitlement. We ended up with an agreement that I'd pay the remaining months half-rent. Usually student housing is signed under a group contract, so the only way out (if you had signed a contract) would have been by everyone moving out.

As it is, you could move out at anytime since you're not legally bound, but best to do it with the landlord's permission if you want to see your deposit again. There's also a risk that the landlord will just up everyone else's rent to cover the spare room if it was a group contract (group contracts cover the rent of the house as a whole, rather than the amount each individual pays, so if there are 5 people they still need to pay for 6 bedrooms).

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.