Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    aren't acids proton donors/ release H+ ions into a solution? how would an organic compound do that?

ReputationRep:
    A carboxylic acid is an organic acid that contains one or more carboxyl groups.

ReputationRep:
    Carboxylic acids have the functional group : R-COOH

In solution this will dissociate into: R-COO- and H+
    (The H+ from the -OH on the carboxyl group is lost)
    It therefore corresponds with the definition you gave.

ReputationRep:
    I THINK a carboyxlic acid is acidic because of the hydrogen in the -COOH group.

That's if I remember my A-level chemistry :erm: somebody please do correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The word acid

ReputationRep:
    The COOH group dissociates into COO- and H+. This is what occurs in amino acids, forming zwitterions (the H+ bonds with the NH3).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by applestrudle)
    aren't acids proton donors/ release H+ ions into a solution? how would an organic compound do that?
    There are several definitions of an acid, but one is indeed that it is a proton donor. A carboxylic acid can lose the H from the -COOH group to form a COO- group, where the negative charge is delocalised across both oxygens (so the anion is stable), and the C-O bonds are both the same length and strength (in between a single and double bond).

ReputationRep:
    the electronegativity of the O in the COOH bit means a proton (H+) dissociates leaving COO- and a H+
    the pH of a solution is defined as -log10[H+] so that means that it is a weak acid.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.