Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am so confused. I just SUCK at exams! My teachers are always telling me things I need to do, but whenever I try to do them, apparently I'm no better off and end up doing even worse!

What's the difference between developing an answer and waffling?
    What can I do to get above a D in exams for once in my ****ing life?

Anyone? :'( I've got exams next month and I need all the help I can get.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    briefly reference the title at the start of every paragraph and you stay on track.

ReputationRep:
    which subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High As A Kite)
    which subject?
    All of them
    Mainly English Literature and Film Studies

ReputationRep:
    GCSE or A-level?

If it helps, I could never get above about 50% in Maths until the Y9 sats and that wsa because I spent months learning not to panic + teaching myself all of it. I now have an A in maths A-level so it is possible to overcome these.

Do you know the stuff and just panic, or have trouble revising or both? Also, what has you teacher beenasking you to do seeing as that doesn't work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alian)
    GCSE or A-level?

If it helps, I could never get above about 50% in Maths until the Y9 sats and that wsa because I spent months learning not to panic + teaching myself all of it. I now have an A in maths A-level so it is possible to overcome these.

Do you know the stuff and just panic, or have trouble revising or both? Also, what has you teacher beenasking you to do seeing as that doesn't work?
    A-Level :/
    Both, really. I struggle with the whole aspect of the exam process. My teachers are like, "It's all about practice!!" but practicing doesn't make me any better, if anything, I do worse
    And then in the exam, yeah I get nervous (but so do most people) but I panic a bit because I keep seeming to do badly no matter what I write down. It's worse in the essay-type exams (like Film and Lit).
    I don't know what to do with myself :/

ReputationRep:
    My former Business Teacher brought in an examiner to help us develop our ansers in the exams.

the examiner said to us, (not in exact words) : when we are writing something down, alwasy ask ourselves why and how, this will help develop your anser and pick up marks for detailed explanation

hope this helps

EDIT: for example, a firm sells goods because they want to make profit. WHY? and then WHY? and then WHY?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polar Dude)
    My former Business Teacher brought in an examiner to help us develop our ansers in the exams.

the examiner said to us, (not in exact words) : when we are writing something down, alwasy ask ourselves why and how, this will help develop your anser and pick up marks for detailed explanation

hope this helps

EDIT: for example, a firm sells goods because they want to make profit. WHY? and then WHY? and then WHY?
    Would that work the same if I had to use a quote from a novel or film? Like, how would I put that in there? 'Coz I think quotes put me off a bit, I don't know what to do with them after I've used them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanttans)
    Would that work the same if I had to use a quote from a novel or film? Like, how would I put that in there? 'Coz I think quotes put me off a bit, I don't know what to do with them after I've used them?
    Quotes can be used as well, from my GCSE english lessons last year, i was always told to include a quote, and then explain the actual meaning, and then explain the quote again from what YOU think- its important to give your own interpretation to get more marks.
    explain what the quote means and perhaps you can link it to other quotes/references in the text/novel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polar Dude)
    Quotes can be used as well, from my GCSE english lessons last year, i was always told to include a quote, and then explain the actual meaning, and then explain the quote again from what YOU think- its important to give your own interpretation to get more marks.
    explain what the quote means and perhaps you can link it to other quotes/references in the text/novel
    You make it sound so easy lol
    I shall try it!
    Thank you so much!!

ReputationRep:
    I think developing an answer is expanding on certain ideas and explaining them in more detail, whereas waffling is going over the same details and writing about things that are irrelevant.

Do you make a plan before you start writing? It doesn't have to be a long plan, it can just be a set of bullet points with each one corresponding to a paragraph in your essay. And maybe it would help to see model answers? You could ask your teacher for some. Have you seen the 'assessment criteria' for answers? Our teacher gave us a sheet which had explanations of all of the 'bands'. If you want, I could PM you one of my English essays - a good essay, not one of the rubbish ones. :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.