Turn on thread page Beta

"Why have Jewish people integrated, and Muslims haven't?" watch

ReputationRep:
    I was reading an article in Le Monde, about the debate on islam in France, and someone said if Jewish people had managed to integrate in French society, why couldn't Muslims do the same.

Do you agree? If you do, why do you think this is?

ReputationRep:
    Jews have had longer?

ReputationRep:
    most Jews are white?

ReputationRep:
    Jews have been living with other cultures for centuries brah.

And loads of Muslims are well intregated tbh, and you know I am right.

ReputationRep:
    jews have been in Europe for thousands of years, contributed a LOT and yet they were still systematically slaughtered in the Holocaust in our grandparents time! They were also mass expelled out of 79 countries for "not integrating" and being "scoundrels" despite being generally quite nice people.... Believe me Europe has always had this mass hysteria problem

Muslims have been in Europe for about 60 years max I think? Obvious answer is obvious

ReputationRep:
    "Multiculturalism"

ReputationRep:
    Well think about it, there are how many Jews in the world? Like maybe 9 million max! How many muslims are there? Like 1 billion minimum! So obv when you see a few Jews and they've integrated, and then when you look at the mass number of muslims that havent integrated you wud assume muslims dont integrae into society..

It's just like the debate of security of PC vs Mac. People say PCs are more insecure as they get more viruses but thats only because hackers only make viruses for PC so it appears PC is more insecure..

ReputationRep:
    lol it's France, just wearing a headscarf means you've not integrated :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    Well think about it, there are how many Jews in the world? Like maybe 9 million max! How many muslims are there? Like 1 billion minimum! So obv when you see a few Jews and they've integrated, and then when you look at the mass number of muslims that havent integrated you wud assume muslims dont integrae into society..

It's just like the debate of security of PC vs Mac. People say PCs are more insecure as they get more viruses but thats only because hackers only make viruses for PC so it appears PC is more insecure..
    This guy makes a good point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    I was reading an article in Le Monde, about the debate on islam in France, and someone said if Jewish people had managed to integrate in French society, why couldn't Muslims do the same.

France defending Jews?? I have heard it all now :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    There are six times as many Muslims in France as there are Jews.
    There are a small number of Muslim nutcases who have no intergrated into society, so they conveniently ignore the 4 million or so who have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)

Firstly, It depends upon your definition of integrate. Do you mean, Muslims should become like the rest of society?

The difference is to do with the fundamental aspects of each religion.

As you say, lots of Jews have integrated into society. But does this include the orthodox Jews who abide to the strictest rules of their religion?

I think not.

The same can be applied to Muslims. Some Muslims, and I am not judging, "integrate" into society and these people sometimes lose track of the fundamental values of their religion.

If a Muslim believes "integrating" into society will go against his faith and moral values, then he/she will not do it even if it enforced by the state.

ReputationRep:
    and France is still horribly anti semitic! I binned all my L'oreal products once i found out the truth behind their leaders

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I'm British and living in France...this debate is absolutely massive, takes up like 80% of their article space.

ReputationRep:
    The Muslims in France tend to be ethnic minorities. Some are Arabs others are Black. The French generally hate the Arabs. Break racial hatred first.

Things like Burka bans will do no good for intergration as well. Even though I know some Muslims who don't support Burkas they still disagree with the Burka ban.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, there's not a lot of advice in the Quran/Hadiths regarding what Muslims ought to do as a minority in a non-Muslim country. From my understanding, the present European situation is very different to the situations that occurred in Muhammed's time. So in their defence, Muslims have pretty much had to make it up as they go along for the last few decades. Perhaps some Muslim posters could corroborate that for me. This has not been helped by governments which have allowed uncontrolled immigration, whilst at the same time giving immigrants no idea of if they're supposed to integrate, or indeed what it is they are expected to integrate into.

Jews on the other hand, from a Jungian perspective, have thousands of years of collective experience of being a minority in Christian and Islamic countries. That alone should explain the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Because Jews are rich and can offer something to society?

Is that a crack at jews, muslims, or both?

or none?

ReputationRep:
    There's less Jews, Jews tend to be less orthodox (to the extent that many of the ones that I know are really in it for social reasons more so than religious)?

Jews are just ****ing cooler than Muslims. They wrap boxes over themselves. They're oldskool. They've got like, what, 2,100 years on the Muslims? And Mohammad just ripped off their **** because he was all angsty and wanted an excuse for pillaging and raping and all the good stuff that people frown upon.

/edit: shoulda hit reply sooner, so I could be all 'FIRST!!12'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Oh dear indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I think there might be more Muslims wearing headscarves/having beards than Jews with their equivalents. Also, Jews tend to be white and I think, in England, many assume they are Christian(/Athiest) (if religious clothing is not worn, for example). But I must say that many Muslims have integrated. It's just that the newer immigrants are more likely to be Muslim than Jewish, thus, the cycle continues ~

EDIT: In terms of France, I think the government is simply anti-Islamic after making a complete fuss about women wearing burqas and damaging French culture, however, statistics show that only 100 (approximately) women were wearing them in the whole country. Also, France is prinicipally anti-immigration, and Jews (because they're white) can pass-off as French (if they know the language or what-not). Muslims, on the other hand, who aren't white tend to face discrimination or are labelled as North Africans.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.