Turn on thread page Beta

"Why have Jewish people integrated, and Muslims haven't?" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamon)
    Oh dear indeed.
    Yes, let's see how long that post stays there for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    Yes, let's see how long that post stays there for.
    Long enough to appear in the minds of its many readers.

*Edit* It's gone! They act incredibly fast, as I stated before. Total control over the worlds media and information outlets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamon)

*Edit* It's gone! They act incredibly fast, as I stated before. Total control over the worlds media and information outlets.
    ...or I reported it for being anti-Semitic.

ReputationRep:
    Jews have been migrating across the world for a very long time which means they've been able to assimiliate well in to society. In Britain, Jewish hysteria dropped off post 1945 when the empire began to fade and more ethnic groups came to live here. Though Jews did used to get a lot of hate before that. New immigrants, including people from the Carribean, Asians, Muslims became viewed as outsiders because they could be easily identified as foriegners whilst Jews cant so couldnt be easily.

ReputationRep:
    Jews want to live in France, Muslims want to take over France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    Jews have been migrating across the world for a very long time which means they've been able to assimiliate well in to society. In Britain, Jewish hysteria dropped off post 1945 when the empire began to fade and more ethnic groups came to live here. Though Jews did used to get a lot of hate before that. New immigrants, including people from the Carribean, Asians, Muslims became viewed as outsiders because they could be easily identified as foriegners whilst Jews cant so couldnt be easily.

lololollololopos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)

lololollololopos.
    Im not sure what your saying? Jews have been in Britain long before 1948

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    Im not sure what your saying? Jews have been in Britain long before 1948
    Israel. Jews assimilating into Global, or just Middle Eastern, society.

Yeah.

(am actually a bad person, and pro-Israel, but whatever)

ReputationRep:
    Time and (sadly) ethinicity have affected integration of Jews and Muslims IMHO

ReputationRep:
    Muslims have intergrated far more than JEws ever have.

ReputationRep:
    If by Jews you mean followers of Judaism then there's probably more well-integrated Muslims in France than Jews. Jews in Europe and North America are largely atheist anyway and often the only way you'd know they were Jewish is because of their surname. Even then they often change their names to more Anglicised ones.

ReputationRep:
    If by integration you mean trying to immitate the french and abandoning our religion, no thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Because Jews aren't branded with the label of automatically being terrorist bombers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)

lololollololopos.
    FYI, Jews have been in Britain and France since the Middle Ages so your point is a bit of a non-point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    I was reading an article in Le Monde, about the debate on islam in France, and someone said if Jewish people had managed to integrate in French society, why couldn't Muslims do the same.

Do you agree? If you do, why do you think this is?
    I don't think Jews are fully integrated in some socities, but on a whole, more so than Muslims. I imagine it's because events like 9/11 are fairly recent and the wounds are still open, which stigmatises the Islamic faith. You don't hear of many high-profile Jewish terrorist attacks for example, so people have less reason to fear/dislike them.

This isn't my own view by the way - I happen to think Islam is a wonderful religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aamon)

What was the post....?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of jews don't integrate or at least seek out their own. Wanting their daughter to marry a nice jewish boy is not a cliche for nothing. There are also many areas in Britain that are considered jewish. I have no problem with that so long as we regard Muslim areas in a similarly tolerant light.
    Not exactly the same thing, but there are male jewish vigilantes operating in Israel actively discouraging jewish girls from mixing with arab boys. WTF is that about?

ReputationRep:
    The majority of muslims are practicing/ religious as opposed to jews where theres a LOT of secular non religious jews who aren't as bothered about marrying out nowadays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notepad)
    I think there might be more Muslims wearing headscarves/having beards than Jews with their equivalents. Also, Jews tend to be white and I think, in England, many assume they are Christian(/Athiest) (if religious clothing is not worn, for example). But I must say that many Muslims have integrated. It's just that the newer immigrants are more likely to be Muslim than Jewish, thus, the cycle continues ~

EDIT: In terms of France, I think the government is simply anti-Islamic after making a complete fuss about women wearing burqas and damaging French culture, however, statistics show that only 100 (approximately) women were wearing them in the whole country. Also, France is prinicipally anti-immigration, and Jews (because they're white) can pass-off as French (if they know the language or what-not). Muslims, on the other hand, who aren't white tend to face discrimination or are labelled as North Africans.
    Totally agee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miu-Miu)
    Muslims have been in Europe for about 60 years max I think? Obvious answer is obvious
    Actually, Muslims have been in Europe much longer than that. The Ottoman Empire covered much of Eastern Europe, and the Muslim Umayyads conquered Hispaniola in 711, controlling Spain until the late 1400s. They actually contributed to a lot of European arts, sciences, and technology.
    I don't really know why it would be so much harder for Muslims to integrate into society as much as Jews have, but it could also be that most Jews are simply Jewish by ancestry, and don't follow the laws of their belief system as closely as many Muslims do. It might just be that they act a bit different than the general population, according to their religion, and that has alienated them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.