Turn on thread page Beta

Straight males with Anorexia..I am one! Some questions for you... watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm wondering if anyone know's any males with an ED. I've had 1 since I was a kid and more than likely been Anorexic for last 4 years no doubt. I recently got pulled out of university after been diagnosed in November and many attempts at recovery at university alone (mission impossible). I'm 6 ft 2 and my BMI is in the lower 14 range. Another way of putting it is I weight a stone less than I did when I was 15 and I am now nearly 21.

Does anybody know/suspect a male friend with Anorexia? What is your view on them? What stereotype do you have in your head about them? Basically any question you would want to ask I'm willing to answer!

A bored Sunday indeed...but also a reflective one as I have now left uni because of this and waiting on been an inpatient at an ED Unit atm. Happy times lool

(btw I do NOT think I am fat)

ReputationRep:
    To add to my above post; I used to be just about anorexic. I was 6"1 and weighed 9 stone when I was 18/19 But then again I find it really difficult to put on weight. I'm eating now a lot more and I'm now a healthy 12 stone. (I'm now 21)

ReputationRep:
    I dont know anyone in real life with it but I do know Daniel Johns and Michael Jackson are two celebrities that had the illness. They both said it was about control rather than being thin also. From what I've heard that seems to be the reason most straight males develop the disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    So I'm wondering if anyone know's any males with an ED. I've had 1 since I was a kid and more than likely been Anorexic for last 4 years no doubt. I recently got pulled out of university after been diagnosed in November and many attempts at recovery at university alone (mission impossible). I'm 6 ft 2 and my BMI is in the lower 14 range. Another way of putting it is I weight a stone less than I did when I was 15 and I am now nearly 21.

Does anybody know/suspect a male friend with Anorexia? What is your view on them? What stereotype do you have in your head about them? Basically any question you would want to ask I'm willing to answer!

A bored Sunday indeed...but also a reflective one as I have now left uni because of this and waiting on been an inpatient at an ED Unit atm. Happy times lool

(btw I do NOT think I am fat)
    Can I ask how you became that way was it bullying, abuse, depression I always wanted to know?
    You have to answer if you don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks you for sharing ...but if I could "just eat some food" I wouldn't be in this situation lol (however I am pretty sure you know this...). 6"1 and 9 stone for that age is quite normal considering certain people's genetics but it is pretty low.

Did you ever purposely restrict your food intake?

ReputationRep:
    I am 6 foot and weigh just short of 9 stone. I don't put it down to an ED though (EVEN THOUGH my name is Ed LOL), I put it down to my genetics. Both my sisters and farther, like myself, are extremely skinny. I just happen to be slightly taller than my dad, making me appear even more skinny. I find putting on weight very difficult. After a week of eating to the point where I am almost sick and not seeing any noticable difference (not that I was expecting one) i just cba trying any more. Ive started going to the gym once or twice a week, and it has made a slight difference. if I go even more and eat even more consistently I am confident i will be able to put on more weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    Thanks you for sharing ...but if I could "just eat some food" I wouldn't be in this situation lol (however I am pretty sure you know this...). 6"1 and 9 stone for that age is quite normal considering certain people's genetics but it is pretty low.

Did you ever purposely restrict your food intake?
    Understand what you mean OP, used to suffer from Anorexia and Bulimia myself, it's too easy to throw around 'just eat'.
    Hope you recover because having an ED is total ****, it's quite a journey to recover but worth it in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverGold)
    Can I ask how you became that way was it bullying, abuse, depression I always wanted to know?
    You have to answer if you don't want to.
    A lot of things...but the main 1 I would say is moving around a lot growing up. I went to 2 different primary schools and moved house during that time (different towns/areas) about 5 times. So I never "grew up" from somewhere as a kid. When I went into high school I moved towns after year 8 and again switched schools 3 different times through moving area's once I moved again.

Parents are the main thing, my dads a pisshead and a sociopath and I stupidly choose to live with him when they split and my mum is very much the same although she now lvies on the other side of the world lol. Also seen a LOT of domestic violence between them both so that is a big part of it.

Depression not so much, I must admit I got bullied in some schools to varying degrees although not much more than most people do so I can't say that is the cause of it. Funnily enough the majority of it came down to been so skinny. Recent drop in weights is to blame for getting involved with a Bipolar girl for 8 months...she kinda wants to murder me other absolutley nothing :/ but that's a different story however she must of told me to kill myself about a million times since the pointless break up. no love for that anymore though!

ReputationRep:
    I';d like to add the less I eat the less depressed I am....another thing people don't know about ED's.

and thank you Mellie220 I am happy to hear about your recovery! I shall do the same soon...I defoz should anyway with these Ensure plus drinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    I';d like to add the less I eat the less depressed I am....another thing people don't know about ED's.

and thank you Mellie220 I am happy to hear about your recovery! I shall do the same soon...I defoz should anyway with these Ensure plus drinks
    This might sound stupid but maybe start going gym, one it helps with confidence and makes you feel better about yourself and two you have to eat lots to put on muscle. Obviously only do it when you're healthy and a good weight but it could help. Just an idea anyway

ReputationRep:
    I get annoyed when people naturally assume that low weight= eating disorder. It's the natural stereotype, of course, but it's also completely false. Not everyone who is thin, etc. has an eating disorder.

Eating disorders are a mental condition, not a weight size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    A lot of things...but the main 1 I would say is moving around a lot growing up. I went to 2 different primary schools and moved house during that time (different towns/areas) about 5 times. So I never "grew up" from somewhere as a kid. When I went into high school I moved towns after year 8 and again switched schools 3 different times through moving area's once I moved again.

Parents are the main thing, my dads a pisshead and a sociopath and I stupidly choose to live with him when they split and my mum is very much the same although she now lvies on the other side of the world lol. Also seen a LOT of domestic violence between them both so that is a big part of it.

Depression not so much, I must admit I got bullied in some schools to varying degrees although not much more than most people do so I can't say that is the cause of it. Funnily enough the majority of it came down to been so skinny. Recent drop in weights is to blame for getting involved with a Bipolar girl for 8 months...she kinda wants to murder me other absolutley nothing :/ but that's a different story however she must of told me to kill myself about a million times since the pointless break up. no love for that anymore though!
    :console: Sorry to hear that OP the second paragraph I can relate to but I have strange eating habits sometimes I have days when I don't eat anything but my body doesn't feel hungry so it's not on purpose and some days I eat alot doubt it's normal, but I have a natural skinny frame and I'm 5'8 so I don't think anyone really notices .

Do you choose not to eat or it feels like you don't have too, and when you do make food and try to eat you don't eat it because you don't feel hungry, if that makes any sense.

By the way what's the difference between a straight anorexic guy and a gay/bi guy?

How did you end up with that bipolar girl anyway? You don't have to say it here if you don't want to.

Don't understand why I got negged :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_23)
    This might sound stupid but maybe start going gym, one it helps with confidence and makes you feel better about yourself and two you have to eat lots to put on muscle. Obviously only do it when you're healthy and a good weight but it could help. Just an idea anyway
    I'm pretty confident tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I get annoyed when people naturally assume that low weight= eating disorder. It's the natural stereotype, of course, but it's also completely false. Not everyone who is thin, etc. has an eating disorder.

Eating disorders are a mental condition, not a weight size.
    very true...they are a mental condition. although to be anorexic you MUST be a certain weight size :/ explains why people assume stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverGold)
    :console: Sorry to hear that OP the second paragraph I can relate to but I have strange eating habits sometimes I have days when I don't eat anything but my body doesn't feel hungry so it's not on purpose and some days I eat alot doubt it's normal, but I have a natural skinny frame and I'm 5'8 so I don't think anyone really notices .

Do you choose not to eat or it feels like you don't have too, and when you do make food and try to eat you don't eat it because you don't feel hungry, if that makes any sense.

By the way what's the difference between a straight anorexic guy and a gay/bi guy?

How did you end up with that bipolar girl anyway? You don't have to say it here if you don't want to.

feels like I don't have to if that makes? I go through the days when I will eat etc and some days it will be zere. The real wake up call was heart palputations and feeling like legs wer going to give in and warnings of "you might die" from strangers in the street/at university so when I have that empty stomach feeling those memories come back to me.

LOL I think the difference between an anorexic guy and a bi/gay 1 is who they sleep with :P...but the egenral idea is gay/bi guy are thought to be the ones with ED's because of the importance on body image in the gay scene. also most men who are diagnosed with an ED tend to be bi/gay on paper. but ED's aren't rreally all about body image and on paper they have it allll wrong when it comes to male.

How did I get with a bipolar girl? I wonder how I did that myself. but she has been sectioned a while back and probz again soon so best off leaving it in the past

I'm sorry to hear you relate on the 2nd paragraph...if your eating gets more and more weird as you grow up make sure you get help! I didn't get help until I was 20 and I was oblvious that I had an ED alll this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    very true...they are a mental condition. although to be anorexic you MUST be a certain weight size :/ explains why people assume stuff
    According to whom? To be anorexic, you need to be suffering from Anorexia Nervosa, and weight is not necessarily one of the diagnostic criteria for that.

ReputationRep:
    ermmm yes it is according to every single doctor who has diagnosed a person. for women they also HAVE TO have missed a certain number of periods before they can actually be diagnosed

do your research. if you have Anorexic characteristics but not underweight you will be diagonsed with EDNOS

here is what it says on the DSM-IV

"DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Anorexia Nervosa

A. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).

B. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

C. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.

D. In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles"

learnt something? :P

ReputationRep:
    omg eat man!!!!

have like vitamin tablets so,your appetite increases
    make your food interesting!!! like tasty currry mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    I used to think my friend had an eating disorder, everyday at exactly 12:30 he would eat half a sandwhich and then throw the other half and the crusts away... as it transpired he just didnt like his mums sandwhiches and was OCD about when he gets up, eats breakfast, showers etc :L While I'm glad he doesnt have an ED it would have been nice to have someone to talk to :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo!xx)
    I used to think my friend had an eating disorder, everyday at exactly 12:30 he would eat half a sandwhich and then throw the other half and the crusts away... as it transpired he just didnt like his mums sandwhiches and was OCD about when he gets up, eats breakfast, showers etc :L While I'm glad he doesnt have an ED it would have been nice to have someone to talk to :/
    definantley a relief then OCD can be a lot of things to someone who doesn't know...have you found anyone to talk out your eating issues since? I've done group therapy, it sucks lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.