Turn on thread page Beta

Straight males with Anorexia..I am one! Some questions for you... watch

ReputationRep:
    Eat,food is EPIC.I used to have anorexia,but I'm a girl so.Then I found out,you're missing out.Food is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    So I'm wondering if anyone know's any males with an ED. I've had 1 since I was a kid and more than likely been Anorexic for last 4 years no doubt. I recently got pulled out of university after been diagnosed in November and many attempts at recovery at university alone (mission impossible). I'm 6 ft 2 and my BMI is in the lower 14 range. Another way of putting it is I weight a stone less than I did when I was 15 and I am now nearly 21.

Does anybody know/suspect a male friend with Anorexia? What is your view on them? What stereotype do you have in your head about them? Basically any question you would want to ask I'm willing to answer!

A bored Sunday indeed...but also a reflective one as I have now left uni because of this and waiting on been an inpatient at an ED Unit atm. Happy times lool

(btw I do NOT think I am fat)
    Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and I really wish you all the best!
    I don't know whether someone has asked about this already (I'm short on time to read) but I don't really understand, in a sense, the 'motivations' for a guy to have an eating disorder. I know that they are often linked with insecurity/anxiety/depression, but I can't understand why this would cause a guy to stop eating. Well not to stop eating, but to have issues with his body. I assume you have these. I can understand women with the constant scrutiny of female celebs body weights etc and the way women can be very critical of each other's bodies (and their own) i.e. I'm too fat. But surely the male equivalent of this would be something more like "I'm too skinny, I need to build muscle." Do you see what I mean?
    I understand that depression can lead to a lack of appetite as I've been through it myself and it go to the point where it was very hard for me to eat meals and I lost a lot of weight- but that would be called depression rather than an eating disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and I really wish you all the best!
    I don't know whether someone has asked about this already (I'm short on time to read) but I don't really understand, in a sense, the 'motivations' for a guy to have an eating disorder. I know that they are often linked with insecurity/anxiety/depression, but I can't understand why this would cause a guy to stop eating. Well not to stop eating, but to have issues with his body. I assume you have these. I can understand women with the constant scrutiny of female celebs body weights etc and the way women can be very critical of each other's bodies (and their own) i.e. I'm too fat. But surely the male equivalent of this would be something more like "I'm too skinny, I need to build muscle." Do you see what I mean?
    I understand that depression can lead to a lack of appetite as I've been through it myself and it go to the point where it was very hard for me to eat meals and I lost a lot of weight- but that would be called depression rather than an eating disorder.
    it's okay and I see what exactly.I'd say there is no motivation for the weight loss like with women and the "I'm too sinny, I need to build muscle" doesn't really ring true with me. I'd say it is just about control and the less I eat the more control I know I have over my body/life that it makes me "!!!". Then the more I eat the less control I have and it just makes me "!!!". making sense?

sorry if that sounds like me been a smartass cause I'm not trying to come across like that at all...just the best way I can explain it :/. The "I'm too skinny, I need muscle thing" was going to be introduced as a new ED named "Orthorexia" but that isn't going to happen now...it will just be EDNOS.

Thanks for the question though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    it's okay and I see what exactly.I'd say there is no motivation for the weight loss like with women and the "I'm too sinny, I need to build muscle" doesn't really ring true with me. I'd say it is just about control and the less I eat the more control I know I have over my body/life that it makes me "!!!". Then the more I eat the less control I have and it just makes me "!!!". making sense?

sorry if that sounds like me been a smartass cause I'm not trying to come across like that at all...just the best way I can explain it :/. The "I'm too skinny, I need muscle thing" was going to be introduced as a new ED named "Orthorexia" but that isn't going to happen now...it will just be EDNOS.

Thanks for the question though!
    Oh yeah. Ugh I'm a psychology student and I didn't even think about the 'control' part...that does make sense to me. But I thought Orthorexia was sort of an obsession with being healthy, regardless of how that makes the body look.

ReputationRep:
    You look a little like Christian Bale in The Machinist when he was terribly underweight...I wish I could help you but I know full well it takes so much more than "just eat this or that".
    Thank you - I should get better with time. I just googled that and WTF never seen that film before. He was cut as hell in American Psycho too! Dedicated actor or what!/ Kinda like what De-niro did for Raging Bull although he got really really overweight instead before he bulked up to a middleweight boxer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    ermmm yes it is according to every single doctor who has diagnosed a person. for women they also HAVE TO have missed a certain number of periods before they can actually be diagnosed

do your research. if you have Anorexic characteristics but not underweight you will be diagonsed with EDNOS

here is what it says on the DSM-IV

"DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Anorexia Nervosa

A. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).

B. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

C. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.

D. In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles"

learnt something? :P
    If you had done your research, you'd also have found that the relevance of the weight is a disbuted criterion and many aren't sure it should be included.

"Learnt something? :P"

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah. Ugh I'm a psychology student and I didn't even think about the 'control' part...that does make sense to me. But I thought Orthorexia was sort of an obsession with being healthy, regardless of how that makes the body look.
    god knows...Orthorexia isn't real and confirmed yet and I hope it never will be. the name makes me cringeee for some reason :/ (probz cuz I'm an Anorexic)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    If you had done your research, you'd also have found that the relevance of the weight is a disbuted criterion and many aren't sure it should be included.

"Learnt something? :P"
    ohhhh smart ass here have we? well many might not be sure but what it says on the DSM is what doctors follow too. plus I have never talked to an Anorexic who is a normal weight or ever heard of someone been diagnosed with it in my lfie at a normal weight...so your argument is pretty pointless

but I'm not going to get in a forum war with someone who has 6 thousand odd posts on a forum.

I'm right your wrong admit it..to be diagnosed you must be of a certain body weight. if your not then it is EDNOS

end of story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    ohhhh smart ass here have we? well many might not be sure but what it says on the DSM is what doctors follow too. plus I have never talked to an Anorexic who is a normal weight or ever heard of someone been diagnosed with it in my lfie at a normal weight...so your argument is pretty pointless

but I'm not going to get in a forum war with someone who has 6 thousand odd posts on a forum.

I'm right your wrong admit it..to be diagnosed you must be of a certain body weight. if your not then it is EDNOS

end of story.
    I know people who've been diagnosed whilst still within the range of normal weight. There aren't many, but that's mostly because Anorexics rarely go to the doctor, or are forced to go, until they are at dangerously low weights.

Doctors don't necessarily follow the DSM. On the whole, they do, yes, but there are other sets of diagnostic criteria out there for just about everything. For instance, the WHO have their own criteria. It's not as clear cut as you'd like. Plus, the fact that people debate the DSM shows that others follow their own criteria.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who've been diagnosed whilst still within the range of normal weight. There aren't many, but that's mostly because Anorexics rarely go to the doctor, or are forced to go, until they are at dangerously low weights.

Doctors don't necessarily follow the DSM. On the whole, they do, yes, but there are other sets of diagnostic criteria out there for just about everything. For instance, the WHO have their own criteria. It's not as clear cut as you'd like. Plus, the fact that people debate the DSM shows that others follow their own criteria.
    I don't believe that and never will...them doctors are retards!!!!! don't reply back to me please. The second paragraph you make a good point though...ther are also people in the mental health profession who REFUSE to diagnose somebody with certain mental health disorders if they do recreational drugs...which is abit stupid imo. I know a retired (or shall I say one who can't get a job) psych who is 30 years old whose every answer to a question was "don't do drugs"...he's now on the dole. true facts! lost his job cause of it

let'send this cause you blatantly argue a lot on here and i cba mateee

ReputationRep:
    Why only straight males?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Usar)
    Why only straight males?
    cause most people assume it's gay/bi males who have ED's...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)

end of story.

i've had anorexia for about 3 years now, in the beginning i lost weight dramatically and my lowest was 55 kg at 5ft 11 but the hospital ****ed me up, putting me on 'anti depressants' which made me put on weight as a side effect. i look normal weight now (yes im losing it), but does that mean i dont have anorexia?

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy from around here who's about 6 ft 3 and weighs under 9 stone... He's skeletal. Whether or not he's actually been diagnosed is another matter though.

Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylafrances)
    i've had anorexia for about 3 years now, in the beginning i lost weight dramatically and my lowest was 55 kg at 5ft 11 but the hospital ****ed me up, putting me on 'anti depressants' which made me put on weight as a side effect. i look normal weight now (yes im losing it), but does that mean i dont have anorexia?
    nope your a recovered Anorexic (but unfortunantley by the sounds of it won't be for long)...I'm talking about when a person first get's diagnosed.

you completely read that wrong. agreed?

I had bullimia (ima guy)

I wanted to be sooo thin, and I shocked everyone they were like wtfff when they saw me, i went gym everyday and ate minimal calories. I changed though, couldn't keep it up and now im a good weight, altho i wanna be skinny for summer again, I have a good physique atm but in my head I see it as fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    nope your a recovered Anorexic (but unfortunantley by the sounds of it won't be for long)...I'm talking about when a person first get's diagnosed.

you completely read that wrong. agreed?

maybe but you can't say someones recovered if they still have the mindset of someone mentally ill.. agreed?

ReputationRep:
    defoz agree! I even regretted saying the word recovered when I was making a cup of tea just then! I apologize! The guy was saying that you can get diagnosed when you are at a normal weight which I don't think is true at all. that's what I was disagreeing with

Fingers crossed you don't fall too deep into that trap again and I really really wish you the best!

ReputationRep:
    Who is this 'many'? Removing it from the criteria would be an awful idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    So I'm wondering if anyone know's any males with an ED. I've had 1 since I was a kid and more than likely been Anorexic for last 4 years no doubt. I recently got pulled out of university after been diagnosed in November and many attempts at recovery at university alone (mission impossible). I'm 6 ft 2 and my BMI is in the lower 14 range. Another way of putting it is I weight a stone less than I did when I was 15 and I am now nearly 21.

Does anybody know/suspect a male friend with Anorexia? What is your view on them? What stereotype do you have in your head about them? Basically any question you would want to ask I'm willing to answer!

A bored Sunday indeed...but also a reflective one as I have now left uni because of this and waiting on been an inpatient at an ED Unit atm. Happy times lool

(btw I do NOT think I am fat)
    I use to have and ED and I went to inpatient and it really helped. I have been fully recovered now for 3 years. I was in a really bad way, my BMI was higher than yours and I got told I would not survive another month if I didnt go into hospital.

I was in hospital for 6 months and there were some men, some anorexic and bulimic boys. I even met girls who just couldnt eat. They didnt think they were fat and didnt want to loose the weight the just felt they needed control over the food.

I hope you are able to get better when you are in hospital. Recovery is the best thing that I ever did.
    I was 21 when I went to hospital too so if you have any question PM me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.