Turn on thread page Beta

Straight males with Anorexia..I am one! Some questions for you... watch

I ain't anorexic or anything but right now I think if I were it would make more sense. I weigh roughly 42kg and stand at 5 foot 8. I eat basically anything we have in the house and no one can identify what's wrong. At first we went to a doctor and he said that it's fine and i'll put on weight once I'm older. I'm starting to believe it's bull****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    ermmm yes it is according to every single doctor who has diagnosed a person. for women they also HAVE TO have missed a certain number of periods before they can actually be diagnosed

do your research. if you have Anorexic characteristics but not underweight you will be diagonsed with EDNOS

here is what it says on the DSM-IV

"DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Anorexia Nervosa

A. Refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height (e.g., weight loss leading to maintenance of body weight less than 85% of that expected; or failure to make expected weight gain during period of growth, leading to body weight less than 85% of that expected).

B. Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though underweight.

C. Disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body shape on self-evaluation, or denial of the seriousness of the current low body weight.

D. In postmenarcheal females, amenorrhea, i.e., the absence of at least three consecutive menstrual cycles"

learnt something? :P
    I have known psychiatrists to diagnose anorexia before a BMI of 17.5 or before period loss.
    For example: when someone has lost a lot of weight quickly and refuses to eat.
    (Ive also seen people with BMI 10 get diagnosed with EDNOS or bulimia as thier primary diagnosis)

I have seen in done in more than one NHS trust.

However there could be an argument that they only gave them the anorexia diagnosis to get a hospital bed (it is easier for anorexics to get a hosp bed than other EDs) or the psychiatrist decided based on his experience that it was more like anorexia than EDNOS and therefore needed anorexic treatments. never know really just though it would be good to say that diagnosis outside of those criteria do happen.

There have been talks of changing the criteria to not include weight (< my local ED service told me this)

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I don't have any stereotypes about people with eating disorders - male or female - mainly because two very close friends of mine (both female, albeit) are both suffering from them and I know it isn't black and white. So you'd get no judgement from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon2010)
    I have known psychiatrists to diagnose anorexia before a BMI of 17.5 or before period loss.
    For example: when someone has lost a lot of weight quickly and refuses to eat.
    (Ive also seen people with BMI 10 get diagnosed with EDNOS or bulimia as thier primary diagnosis)

I have seen in done in more than one NHS trust.

However there could be an argument that they only gave them the anorexia diagnosis to get a hospital bed (it is easier for anorexics to get a hosp bed than other EDs) or the psychiatrist decided based on his experience that it was more like anorexia than EDNOS and therefore needed anorexic treatments. never know really just though it would be good to say that diagnosis outside of those criteria do happen.

There have been talks of changing the criteria to not include weight (< my local ED service told me this)

fair point ! they definantley need to take out the period loss thing though! 100 percent. it's baffling tbh :/ why wait till that time before the course of treatment starts.

Great to hear you recovered for 3 years! Hopefully my hospital stay isn't 6 months though . Thank you for your story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I ain't anorexic or anything but right now I think if I were it would make more sense. I weigh roughly 42kg and stand at 5 foot 8. I eat basically anything we have in the house and no one can identify what's wrong. At first we went to a doctor and he said that it's fine and i'll put on weight once I'm older. I'm starting to believe it's bull****.
    lol depends how old you are. but if your eating loads and loads of food but putting no weight on at all ther cud be something wrong (not anorexia). change doctors. I went to the docs in June last year and the women didn't even weigh me. the 2nd time I went after been sent by my councellor was a different doctor...she weighed me and asked me if I seen myself as Anorexic immediatley LOL. then I went back a few days later and got diagnosed

Hi OP,

Thanks for starting this thread - really interesting to hear your experiences, particularly as eating disorders are often associated with females and many people don't realise that there are also a lot of males that suffer too.

I'm sorry to hear you're having to wait so long for treatment. That seems to be a common theme amongst people with eating disorders; I guess the provisions aren't great.

I'd be interested to know - one of the things that people frequently blame for the increase in eating disorders, particularly in people of young ages, is the media and the pressure put on young people to be thin and perfect and look like the airbrushed people in the magazines and on TV. What do you think about this? And do you think it has affected you at all personally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur de lis)
    Hi OP,

Thanks for starting this thread - really interesting to hear your experiences, particularly as eating disorders are often associated with females and many people don't realise that there are also a lot of males that suffer too.

I'm sorry to hear you're having to wait so long for treatment. That seems to be a common theme amongst people with eating disorders; I guess the provisions aren't great.

I'd be interested to know - one of the things that people frequently blame for the increase in eating disorders, particularly in people of young ages, is the media and the pressure put on young people to be thin and perfect and look like the airbrushed people in the magazines and on TV. What do you think about this? And do you think it has affected you at all personally?
    Hello

I'm glad you asked that question because it does my head in with the media... especially with them blaming the fashion industry on everything. Whilst I do think that industry can promote it, I believe this is more to do with the fact that a lot of people with Anorexia have it as something they can relate too (the glamouzation of an Anorexic body). That part is dangerous because this makes them un-willing to want to recover and all they have to is put there in that world and they get the thumbs up. if that makes sense? Also the fasion industry brings on the "wannarexic" thing which I'll get onto in a minute but as a whole I blame the actual media in this country than the fashion industry itself because you can look at 1 page and it points out a celebrity who has gained slightky and saying "DISGUSTING! FAT! DISGUSTING URGHHH" then on the next page....you get a story of a Anorexic woman with about 2 paragraphs on Anorexia and about 10 paragraphs blaming the fashion industry...I think they are just trying to cover ther own backs here cause more girls in this country see the OK! magazines etc pointing the finger with disgust at normal sized/over weight women...than they do in the magazines of Vogue/10/iD etc. Although a lot of girls do follow that ideal from the magazines I would say way more listen to other media more than the fashion. Such as all the slutty girls wanting breast implants to become like Jordan and a famous glamour model!

Has it affected me personally? Not at all...this might be because I am male though and don't have to put up with the world been as shallow as it is for women. A lot of girls I have spoken to with an ED have rarely blamed the media on it...if anything they have told me it's more of a "wannarexic" thing. What I mean by that is there are A SERIOUS AMOUNT of really young girls using anorexia support forums who have self diagnosed and are obsessed with the fashion industry. I got chatting to a 14 year old girl in America online once and she told me "I have carefully studied Vogue magazine for many years" and her aim is to have a body JUST like the models in them. She was self diagnosed Anorexic too but was in the 20's BMI range and had her full diet plan out for everyone to read. Also telling me she told people she had Anorexia and they believed her after she told themher bull**** take on what it means. (this happens too...when I told my ex about getting diagnosed she told me it was impossible because I didn't think I was fat. she said "trust me I have known anorexics my whole life"...she knows the score now though thank god) Sooo many of these, and they might just **** up the public perception on what eating disorders actually are! Luckily I've talked many out of using pro ana sites after telling them the dangers. So some hope is there lol

any of this helpful or did I just rant and make zero sense!

I should get better in time

ReputationRep:
    My friend, male, 6 foot, age 16 has lost a lot of weight, he's gone from 175 lbs to 140 lbs and he still sees himself as "not fat but in need of losing a few pounds" in his own words. Should I recommend him to see a medical professional.

(Original post by AspiringGenius)
    My friend, male, 6 foot, age 16 has lost a lot of weight, he's gone from 175 lbs to 140 lbs and he still sees himself as &quot;not fat but in need of losing a few pounds&quot; in his own words. Should I recommend him to see a medical professional.
    His BMI is still within the healthy range (although on the lower end of it). Does he think he still needs to lose more weight? Has he lost the weight sensibly and healthily or has he been limiting his intake of food dramatically or exercising a lot more?

ReputationRep:
    His BMI is still within the healthy range (although on the lower end of it). Does he think he still needs to lose more weight? Has he lost the weight sensibly and healthily or has he been limiting his intake of food dramatically or exercising a lot more?
    He did limit intake quite dramatically, he lost it all within the space of about two months, but his weight has stabilized a bit now. He hasn't lost much, if any for about 5 months. I just worry becausebhe still sees himself as fat. :-/

He did limit intake quite dramatically, he lost it all within the space of about two months, but his weight has stabilized a bit now. He hasn't lost much, if any for about 5 months. I just worry becausebhe still sees himself as fat. :-/
    It might be worth suggesting he has a chat to someone about it, just to be on the safe side. Do you think he'd be receptive to that idea?

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth suggesting he has a chat to someone about it, just to be on the safe side. Do you think he'd be receptive to that idea?
    I've asked him to see the school nurse and reassured him it was in confidence, but he doesn't want his parents to find out if he has anorexia and he didn't confide in them, which he said would inevitably happen if he started having to take medication. :-/

I've asked him to see the school nurse and reassured him it was in confidence, but he doesn't want his parents to find out if he has anorexia and he didn't confide in them, which he said would inevitably happen if he started having to take medication. :-/
    His parents don't have to know anything, consultations between a doctor and patient are confidential, even if he's under 16. There's more information here which you could show your friend to help put his mind at ease. I also think it's fairly unlikely he would have to take medication, and think it's more likely he would be offered counselling or other talking therapy, but I'm not a doctor so I can't be sure!

If you are worried about your friend and think he may have a problem then I would encourage him to seek some help. Maybe offer to go with him for moral support? You could either go in with him if he wants or wait in the waiting room while he's in there.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice... i'm a girl who used to suffer from anorexia and i'm not really quite over it yet (the emotional side). I recently met this guy I really like and he likes me and he told me he has bulimia which effects him in some ways but he doesn't actually binge nd purge anymore.

This just really scares me, as I duno what this means about him as a person. I was really shocked and he explained to me why he used to do it and didn't mention it being anything to do with body image. He doesn't know about my past nd I don't intend to tell him but I duno if two ****ed up people should be in any kind of relationship... what if he started doing it again? Theres no way I could be with him for my own health.

The stupidest part of this all is I'm scared of what he'll be thinking when he touches me.. will he think I'm fat? Sounds stupid but the thought of this is honestly ****ing with all my insecurities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B2010)
    if you have Anorexic characteristics but not underweight you will be diagonsed with EDNOS

See, this is where the whole EDNOS thing confuses me. I was diagnosed anorexic 3 years ago, at CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service). But last year, when I was transferred to an adult OP unit, my diagnosis changed to EDNOS, primarily because I still get my periods, even if they are VERY irregular.
    (I find it odd that I still get the occasional period actually... I was always told you couldnt past a certain point and people always assume I dont at appointment/assessments that I dont and look surprised when I say I do... I guess my body is confused...)

However, I have anorexic characteristics, and as difficult as I find it to admit to myself, I am underweight, with a BMI at the lower end of 14.

Its annoyingly confusing...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.