Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do i get an A* in AQA English literature & English Language GCSE??!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically im doing gcse english double award AQA...
    i've got two B's in my coursework and i was wondering if there was a possibility of getting A*'s overall. im currently studying "mice of men" and the "anthology" book with poems such as "limbo","vultures","two scavengers in a truck" etc...
    i was wondering if anyone has the criteria that virtually garentee's that A* grade
    or if anyone has even any tips and even if anyone has additional tips on how to even revise for the exams or how to write fast in the "comparing 4 poems" section in the exam because im skeptical of what i've been taught thanks.. =)

ReputationRep:
    Well, don't mean to dampen your hopes there, but considering that as i have had a and a* on my coursework pieces, and a in my other exam and a 'b' in my romeo & juliet exam, i still need 12 ums to get to a* overall for my english language. Now... i'm gonna redo my 'a' courseworks and resit my r&j exam to get those 12 ums to get the a*. Personally, i would suggest you to redo your coursework, if you can and get extremely high in the exams. A* to get an a* overall. I don't think ill get an a* in the r and j resit but i will try. I mean, an a is not that bad considering a lot of people can only dream of an a

ReputationRep:
    well yh i dont really mind getting an A because im not carrying it on further for A levels... if you have any notes and stuff on the poems please refer it to me thanks

ReputationRep:
    For the novel, I did To Kill a Mockingbird, but I did the same poems as you.
    Frankly, you may want to purchase the CGP book on poems if you're really stuck - it gives you ideas on how to structure your essays as well as how to approach the question.

Oh and we also used something called FLIRT for the poems:

Form
    Language
    Imagery
    Rhyme
    Theme/tone

It clearly demonstrates what you can focus on. With Two Scavengers, imagery was really important - ie through the use of colour and overall descriptions of the rubbish-men and the wealthy couple.
    You can then interlink that with the overall theme/tone of the poem - where this comments on the THEME of social disparity (differences) between the rich and poor - which gives a depressing TONE to the poem.

In terms of getting the A* grade (I got A*'s in both Literature and Language), you will need to generally have some flair in your writing, especially in a subjective subject such as English.

Depending on how high your B's are in your coursework, you may not have enough UMS marks to get the A*. However, there's no reason why you can't push for a good A. xD

Use the net as well for other responses to the texts you are studying, wider reading is encouraged - perhaps more so at AS - but it'll impress your examiner at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita.d)
    Basically im doing gcse english double award AQA...
    i've got two B's in my coursework and i was wondering if there was a possibility of getting A*'s overall. im currently studying "mice of men" and the "anthology" book with poems such as "limbo","vultures","two scavengers in a truck" etc...
    i was wondering if anyone has the criteria that virtually garentee's that A* grade
    or if anyone has even any tips and even if anyone has additional tips on how to even revise for the exams or how to write fast in the "comparing 4 poems" section in the exam because im skeptical of what i've been taught thanks.. =)
    Find any past paper for your course and look at the mark scheme, there will be criteria telling you how to get top grades.

I didn't do the course but to revise for english just make notes on each theme that you can compare and do lots of practice essays - that will help you so much.

ReputationRep:
    I feel it my duty towards shanti to link you to this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...p?t=1553983)as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeshur)
    For the novel, I did To Kill a Mockingbird, but I did the same poems as you.
    Frankly, you may want to purchase the CGP book on poems if you're really stuck - it gives you ideas on how to structure your essays as well as how to approach the question.

Oh and we also used something called FLIRT for the poems:

Form
    Language
    Imagery
    Rhyme
    Theme/tone

It clearly demonstrates what you can focus on. With Two Scavengers, imagery was really important - ie through the use of colour and overall descriptions of the rubbish-men and the wealthy couple.
    You can then interlink that with the overall theme/tone of the poem - where this comments on the THEME of social disparity (differences) between the rich and poor - which gives a depressing TONE to the poem.

In terms of getting the A* grade (I got A*'s in both Literature and Language), you will need to generally have some flair in your writing, especially in a subjective subject such as English.

Depending on how high your B's are in your coursework, you may not have enough UMS marks to get the A*. However, there's no reason why you can't push for a good A. xD

Use the net as well for other responses to the texts you are studying, wider reading is encouraged - perhaps more so at AS - but it'll impress your examiner at GCSE.
    thanks a lot with that and could you guide me on how to revise for the media questions that usually come up or give any tips that may help me thank youuuu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita.d)
    thanks a lot with that and could you guide me on how to revise for the media questions that usually come up or give any tips that may help me thank youuuu
    The CGP revision guides are somewhat helpful in terms of learning what you have to write about to get the marks. I find that the Duffy/Armitage & Pre-1914 poems revision guide is actually quite useful, and my teacher even recommended it to the whole class.

ReputationRep:
    if you have any questions or quiries to pass on to an aqa english examiner please get back to me asap because tommorow is the last day i meet him.
    thanks.
    here is the thread linking to it:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...aqa%20examiner

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about this whole double award malarcky but for my GCSE English lit I got an A overall despite getting a C in my coursework (didn't realise how important it was ), same for language and that was by writing a detailed account of choking on a custard cream as an old man... so getting an A* is possible...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.