Turn on thread page Beta

Creaking, Knocking, Cracking Noise from Steering. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've attached a Youtube video to highlight the problem, which seems to be getting more frequent... it will happen at any kind of steering angle, but mostly when turning left or straightening the steering position from a right lock.... i.e turning the wheel left again...

It seems to do it worse when driving up into a banked road, i.e up a drop kerb etc.

No knocks etc when driving in a straight line.

I've just replaced the anti roll bar linkages and both lower control arm ball joints as precaution... there is no play in the control arm/wishbone bushes... or the track rod ends... so I'm thinking it could be an inner tie rod....

Please take a look and see what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCtMm2CyZE0

1999 2.0 Avensis Estate, 122k.

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest the inner tie rod too!! I had that in my car as well and thats what it was!

ReputationRep:
    If not I'd have a look at the steering column universal joints. Any ball bearings down the steering line might be on the way out - bearings often make a cracking noise when they're wearing out.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the universal joint or the bearings. Try jacking your car up and seeing if there is any play in the wheel at either lock (obviously don't attempt to change the wheellock while the car is up in the air :facepalm2:)

ReputationRep:
    I had the inner tie rod boots off, and the balljoints and still greased and there's no play in the ball itself, so I took them back to my motor factor for a refund.... greased them up and reclipped the boots back on....

Strut top mount, seems the next one likely culprit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Sounds like the universal joint or the bearings. Try jacking your car up and seeing if there is any play in the wheel at either lock (obviously don't attempt to change the wheellock while the car is up in the air :facepalm2:)
    Why not...? If the car is on a jack/axle stands under the proper points (obviously stands, preferably) what's the issue with spinning the wheels from lock to lock? Makes it a lot easier than taking the wheels off to simply check out play in the system..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Why not...? If the car is on a jack/axle stands under the proper points (obviously stands, preferably) what's the issue with spinning the wheels from lock to lock? Makes it a lot easier than taking the wheels off to simply check out play in the system..
    I was talking about the typical situation in which the car is jacked up on one side only as if you were changing the wheel. It should be obvious why it would be dangerous to mess with the wheel lock in this situation as it would change the angle of the car and destabilise the jack.

If you have two jacks and want to spend more time at it, then yeah, it wouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I was talking about the typical situation in which the car is jacked up on one side only as if you were changing the wheel. It should be obvious why it would be dangerous to mess with the wheel lock in this situation as it would change the angle of the car and destabilise the jack.

If you have two jacks and want to spend more time at it, then yeah, it wouldn't be a problem.
    Fair enough. I gotta say I have done that from time to time when working on brakes but I always have at least one axle stand, if not two, the hand brake on and the wheels chocked. Most of the time though I'll just jack the whole of the front of the car up to make things easier.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 6, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.