Turn on thread page Beta

Can I get a student loan for college when I'm only 15 watch

ReputationRep:
    I start college next year in 2012, and my mom is too stingy to help me pay for college, and so I'm having a hard time trying to make my own money seeing as I can't get a job in the UK at 15, because they are either non-existent, or taken.
    So I really want to get a student loan, but I don't know how to go about it, should I start the process this year? I've heard that I can get a loan at 15 as long as a person over 18 signs the contract or whatever with me.
    So yeah, what does the loan pay for?
    I need it to pay for accomodation, and my tuition. The college is Cambridge Centre for 6th form studies.
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    ...nope

ReputationRep:
    Is it a private college? If so, you won't be eligible for any kind of loan, it would have to be a loan in your parents name, which I doubt they would sign as they are fully liable for.

Education is free up to 19 anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Very much doubt you'd get a loan!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.scholarship-search.org.uk/ is worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    If possible all 15 year olds will be buzzing off cannabis. Your answer NO, just no.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't need to pay for accommodation - your parents have a legal right to provide you with somewhere to live until you're 16. If you want to attend a boarding school but you can't afford the accommodation, then tough luck; go to a local state school instead if your parents don't want to pay for your education but you want a paid education.

If you're estranged from your family, and you can prove this, then at 16 you do become eligible for some benefits, but you can't get anything whatsoever aged 15.

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP is from outside the UK...

ReputationRep:
    At £5,768 a term I think it's safe to call troll.

ReputationRep:
    0.o...how is that trrolling?
    Anyway, people instead of mocking me(¬_¬) can you at least give me some other HELPFUL, alternatives than a loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plastercaster)
    At £5,768 a term I think it's safe to call troll.
    Theres a college just down the road from me that costs that per term, amazing place though -looks like Hogwarts ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TammieNo5)
    Anyway, people instead of mocking me(¬_¬) can you at least give me some other HELPFUL, alternatives than a loan?
    There are none.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Apply for somewhere like here http://www.longroad.ac.uk/ or here http://www.hrsfc.ac.uk/ if you're living in Cambridge where you can undertake your A-Levels and live with your mum without paying a small fortune. Are you from the UK or not, because studying here will be expensive due to international fees? Would living at home while you study be an option, as boarding is the most expensive thing?

Go state. There's your answer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jellybeanjen)
    Apply for somewhere like here http://www.longroad.ac.uk/ or here http://www.hrsfc.ac.uk/ if you're living in Cambridge where you can undertake your A-Levels and live with your mum without paying a small fortune. Are you from the UK or not, because studying here will be expensive due to international fees? Would living at home while you study be an option, as boarding is the most expensive thing?
    Or Netherhall Sixth Form if you don't mind smaller school.

I applied to Long Road and Hills Road and they were going to charge me £4500 a year for 2 years in Sixth Form because they classed me as international student. Even though I had been living in England for 3 years (before the course start) and my visa is indefinite leave to remain in the UK...

So be careful.... Differnt colleges get different kind of funding system.

ReputationRep:
    I refer you to:
    my mom is too stingy to help me pay for college,
    I think it's unfair to say that not paying £15,000 a year for something you could get for a quarter of that "stingy"

So my helpful alternative would be: go state or (If non eu) find a cheaper college.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't eligible for student finance to study 6th form level courses. You'll have to fund it yourself if it's a private college or try and apply for a scholarship if they have any

ReputationRep:
    paying for education doesnt make it better

ReputationRep:
    What IS going on here? I'd really like to know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.