Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me where brand new cars are cheap(er), and also the process of importing them to the UK?

For example, a brand new BMW. Where are they cheaper? How would I import it?

ReputationRep:
    Importing a new car to the UK can certainly save you money, but exactly how much is variable. It pays to approach dealers in this country first and haggle to ascertain the level of savings available here - remember that on an imported car, you will need to factor in the costs of transporting yourself abroad and the vehicle back home, in addition to paying VAT on it back in the UK and quite possibly paying the foreign dealer a fee for supplying a right-hand drive model if necessary.

The most constructive advice I can give you is simply to search for car manufacturers' websites for other European countries (Germany might well be an option for a BMW), look at their pricing and then attempt to contact a dealer querying the possibility of the above. Remember that it isn't necessarily the simplest procedure in the world and look out for European differences that might affect the car's resale value. A different stereo and a warning triangle in the back aren't exactly major concerns, but Vauxhall models are badged Opel by General Motors outside the UK and will depreciate more heavily if imported here.

ReputationRep:
    There is a big market in JDM cars, i.e. Japanese cars being imported, mostly because they are still RHD and they have a higher spec.

You have to get the car converted to mph and put the car through VOSA test before you can use it, there are plenty of companies that will do this for you.

It rarely works out much cheaper, but you do get more spec, sometimes.

You also have to run Japanese high performance cars on high octane fuel at all times.

ReputationRep:
    Not worth the hassle any more these days.... go to a car supermarket or just be a good haggler and chances are you will get the car at near the price of what you would from importing it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Not really worth the hassle these days. By law, any dealer in europe has to supply a rhd version to you if it is avaliable. But if you want a BMW, you may aswell get it in the UK seeing as there will be little difference in price, if any, elsewhere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.