Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Question is the title really. I live in Leicester which is one of the most multicultural cities in the UK. I feel it would be weird if Newcastle would be different, so what's it like, both as a Uni and a City for multiculturalism?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is a lovely city, you will fall in love with it. HOWEVER for multiculturalism Newcastle does lack it. Of course there are people from other cultures but like many other towns and cities in the North East there is predom White British people that live in these places.
    Don't see it as a bad or unsettling thing, see it as a positive thing. It will be nice to get away from Leicester where it's very multicultural but it will also make it nice to come back to home when you've had enough of Newcastle.
    However white/black/purple/yellow/blue - don't let this decide your university choice, it's the degree you REALLY want to focus on - is that the one you will get the most out of and will enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I already know it's the right degree and stuff, now i'm looking at other factors such as culture/living etc. Thanks though, that's been helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Question is the title really. I live in Leicester which is one of the most multicultural cities in the UK. I feel it would be weird if Newcastle would be different, so what's it like, both as a Uni and a City for multiculturalism?

Thanks.
    I'm white, born/raised in Leicester and a recent Newcastle grad that still lives locally.

The main "minority" as far as the University goes are students from the Far East. There's very few from other racial backgrounds, and it's certainly noticeable being from Leicester. The number of students from minority backgrounds generally does appear to be increasing though.

The main observation non-Newcastle students seem to make is the number of privately-educated students here. Northumbria jokingly call us the "the Posh;" and having a state-educated background myself (Bosworth College in Desford) it's certainly noticeable, and hit me more than racial demographics. That's not to say it's a bad thing at all and I made hundreds of friends/acquiantances, but it will hit you at first.

Newcastle as a city has nothing on Leicester as far as multiculturalism is concerned. There's a large Chinese contingent within the city (and a Chinatown), but again they're tiny as a demographic compared to what Leicester is like. However, there's still plenty to do and although Newcastle isn't London or Edinburgh, I feel like there is much more to do as far as broader culture is concerned. You'll wonder how you lived without a Metro system, and places like the MetroCentre put Highcross to shame.

Just a slight note though - I went to university in Leicester too, and I *much* preferred Newcastle. If you want some more specifics, just let me know!

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed you're a Law applicant too, which is what I studied up here (albeit a Master's). Feel free to ask about the Law School though.

ReputationRep:
    Born and raised in Newcastle and final year undergrad at Newcastle Uni. For the city you are looking at predominantly white Geordie, which shouldn't be surprising considering it is Newcastle. There are several ghettoized areas in which Geordies and white people in general are rare to find, these are mostly in the West End of the city and as a student you will most likely never venture there unless you want to be mugged (I grew up there, but it does have a reputation ).

The areas in which students are most likely to live after first year are Jesmond and Heaton. The population of Jesmond is mostly privately educated rahs. I have lived there for two years and you will find very little actual Geordies there, rather professionals who have moved here to work from the South or students. Heaton is less affluent and also less homogeneous and you will find a mix of students and locals.

But in general you will find it a lot less diverse than Leicester. The divisions in the student populations are more visible in class divisions than race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Born and raised in Newcastle and final year undergrad at Newcastle Uni. For the city you are looking at predominantly white Geordie, which shouldn't be surprising considering it is Newcastle. There are several ghettoized areas in which Geordies and white people in general are rare to find, these are mostly in the West End of the city and as a student you will most likely never venture there unless you want to be mugged (I grew up there, but it does have a reputation ).

The areas in which students are most likely to live after first year are Jesmond and Heaton. The population of Jesmond is mostly privately educated rahs. I have lived there for two years and you will find very little actual Geordies there, rather professionals who have moved here to work from the South or students. Heaton is less affluent and also less homogeneous and you will find a mix of students and locals.
    Some students live in Fenham too, and Fenham is really multi cultural, though. Tbh, if I was a student at Ncl uni I'd rather live in Fenham than Jesmond/Heaton and it does sound like the OP would like it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    Some students live in Fenham too, and Fenham is really multi cultural, though. Tbh, if I was a student at Ncl uni I'd rather live in Fenham than Jesmond/Heaton and it does sound like the OP would like it there.
    I am from Fenham and I can say I'd rather live in Jesmond after moving out, especially as a student. Aside from the few professionals that live in Jesmond it misewell be a student village. Everyone's house is within walking distance, good bars, metro at the doorstep, lack of crime.

The only downside is the disproportionate rent you have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I am from Fenham and I can say I'd rather live in Jesmond after moving out, especially as a student. Aside from the few professionals that live in Jesmond it misewell be a student village. Everyone's house is within walking distance, good bars, metro at the doorstep, lack of crime.

I grew up in Fenham as well and it was fine, I'm actually surprised the crime rates are high. But that makes sense, a city as well as a student village esque place would be amazing. Best of both worlds.

And the distance from the uni? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Having come from just outside of Hull; Newcastle by comparison, is extremely multicultural

Anyway, OP. You won't feel anything but welcome in Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

Has a midnight bakery*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)

Thanks.
    Newcastle was called "disgustingly white" by a Labour MP a few years back. Something along those lines. :p: Wonder how people would've reacted if he'd called somewhere like Leicester "disgustingly Asian"...

You will find the city centre very, very white. There is a Chinatown within the city, as already mentioned and those from China remain the most visible ethnic minority. They make up just over 1% of the population, comparable to Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool and Sheffield.

Central Gateshead/Bensham has a large Jewish population (heard it is, or certainly was, the highest concentration of Jews outside Jerusalem).This is because they have an internationally famous Jewish education instite (as well as two Jewish high schools). But they tend to stay Gateshead so you will not see them in Newcastle city centre or its suburbs (this isn't to say that there aren't Jewish people living in Newcastle, just less noticeable than Gateshead). It's a very self-contained community.

Also outside of Newcastle is South Shields, where the UK's first Yemeni immigrants settled, and there are still a high number of Yemenis and people of Yemeni origin.

The West End of Newcastle has a reasonable South Asian population. Bangladeshis make up just over 1% of the city's population - a level comparable to Bradford and one of the highest in the country. But the western suburbs, being amongs the most deprived, tend not to be popular student areas.

The student body at undergraduate level is very white and fairly middle class, with one of the highest intakes of private school students in the country. But most universities of a similar standard are predominantly white. There will be international students, of course. Like all universities the postgraduate community will be more diverse than undergrad, particulary large number of international students particularly East Asian.

Overall the city is still around 90% white. There's an article you can access on Wikipedia giving the ethnic breakdown of local authority areas. I think, for major population centres, Newcastle and wider Tyneside is the least diverse.

The popular student areas include Jesmond, Heaton and Fenham. Jesmond in particular is quite affluent, leafy and white.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  2. Northumbria University
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
  3. Northumbria University
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.